The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Finger/stage manipulation Vanishing cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I'm sure this ranks up there with the most basic of stage magic questions, but...

What are the main ways folks have come up with to cover the potentially slow movement of the (plastic Fantasio) vanishing cane, specifically when performing cane to silk. I know Mr. McBride turns to the side to cover the move, so that the vanish happens perpendicular to the audience, instead of squarely facing the crowd. That seems to be kind of a shame, since it ALMOST is a really clean vanish, and would ALMOST look great from the front.

Do most folks do it squared up to the crowd? Do any large movement to keep them from following the retraction? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
483 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Are you using black colored silks?
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
No, why?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here is a bit of secret knowledge for you. When Russ Walsh first made the steel vanishing canes, They were furnished with a long envelope. The vanish was done this way. The cane was tapped on the stage to show that it was solid, then it was inserted into the envelope and the hoozis was done. The cane did its thing, but it was impossible to see it because the envelope concealed it. Then the performer rolled the envelope up and put it into his pocket.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mgical
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of mgical
I think PremiataForneria is suggesting the black coloured silks so that there is a logic of the cane becoming a silk (rather than disappearing and leaving a red silk...unless you are using a red cane of course). But also since the colours are the same it may camoflage the slow vanish a little.

Bills suggestion sounds interesting aswell.

The problem at the end of the day is that the fantasio cane is a little slower than the old finger removers (metal canes), but it does prevent freebie effects of colour changing shirt (only available in white to red) and diminishing fingers, comes with ten uses (refills not available!)
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
239 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I load mine with two silks on the cap and cane. I also load some foil confetti in the cane. When the cane 'disappears, the arms go out. The combination of the arm movement, silks and confetti against the lights, I have not had any 'see' the movement.

Jim
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7384 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Load a balloon with confetti. Put a thumb tip with a point out it. Bounce the balloon on the cane. Break the balloon and change the cane into a bouquet. (Thanks Hen Fetch).

Metal cane..."finger removers"?......Not if you use them correctly.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
483 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On 2005-03-19 03:21, mgical wrote:
I think PremiataForneria is suggesting the black coloured silks so that there is a logic of the cane becoming a silk (rather than disappearing and leaving a red silk...unless you are using a red cane of course). But also since the colours are the same it may camoflage the slow vanish a little.

That's it exactly!! If the silk color matches the color of the cane, it does indeed camoflauge the collaspe, as the cane vanishes. I believe Mc Bride suggested this on one of his many videos. As well as others...
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
mgical
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of mgical
"finger removers", I have one and still have 10 fingers. I have been fortunate never to do myself any damage with it...so far! Though I am much more careful with it than any other kind of cane, you can't show it any fear.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Or, along the lines of Bill's suggestion, roll the cane in a single sheet of newspaper...do that certain thing...tear the paper into little bits.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Ok here is my take on the cane.
I do the color changing vanishing cane with a smal twist to it, I have made a shell for the cap. the shell is a differenr collor then the cap I use. So here is the set up. I load a red cane with a large fether flower buquet. A silver glittering cane cap is put on that, over the red cane is a black cane fastend wthi a pice of taped to the red cane. To make sure you can get the tape of simply duble the tape over it self at one end. Over the silver cap goes the red shell. To preform you also nead a red 30cm silk.
For me this is an opner.
Entering with the cane greating the audience I show the cane and take the silk (I use rose to silk) acting like I polish the knop I steal the shell, act suprised and showe the audience the result. At the samt time dump the shel in your pocket tail topit or whatever. con tinue to polish the cane but at the same time loosen the tape, do not remove it and don't let is go! Now hang the red silk over the cane where the tape is atatch the silk to the tape. NOW let go of the outer cane the silk will "run" over the cane to the other side where you catch it in your other hand. again act supprised and showing the result to the audience. Act as you are about to once more polish the knob of the cane with the silk but this time remove the cap as you polish let the cane go and the flowers appear.
this workes realy great for me forseveral reasons. For once, the silk covers the move and makes it look natural. second the cap CC makes the cane CC more logical. Third, the running silk helps in a way that the CC dosnt look like a cane cover simplt is removed. Fourth but not least the flovers apprears so much larger than the cane si even if the cane vanish would look like the cane simply colapsed it couldn't possibly have been inside as it wouldn't fitt.

This rutine takes a bit off work, not much but a bit, to make it look real and to make it into a smooth thing but for me it has been worth it.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7384 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Nice routine..Vibono. Logical and continues to build for maximum effect.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Thanks I have been thinking of and tried to change the color once omre both the nkob and the cane, but I think it would be to much also it will change the rythme and timing of the rutine to much.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I do the cane to silk as part of my opener. I've found that it's enough just to keep the cane in motion for the vanish. Don't let them know when it's coming. You're dancing to the music, spinning and swaying, then BAM the cane becomes a silk.

Then I pile the silk on one corner of the table and produce a dancing cane from that.
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
On one end I use a black diamond cut silk tied to a blue diamond cut silk. On the other side I use a blue tied to a black. It has worked very well for me in covering the mothion of the cane, even squared to the audience....

Take care, Bry
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1810 Posts

Profile of David Todd
My .02 about the vanishing cane :

Two of the most successful , full-time professional magicians to feature the vanishing cane were Jay Marshall and Fred Kaps. Both of these performers chose to do it where the cane is wrapped up in a newspaper, then the newspaper unrolled to show the cane vanished .

To me the psychology of doing it that way is very strong. The cane is already gone before the audience knows it is gone , so you can end completely clean (having ditched it in the delayed time between wrapping it up and showing it to be gone. ) The version using the rolled up newspaper has more mystery to it, IMO . It's especially effective if you use it as Kaps did , as cover for the steal of another object (in Kaps' case a lit candle) and then seamlessly launch into another sequence (the lit candle manipulation) . You can let the newspaper unroll , showing the cane to have vanished , then casually crumple the newspaper and produce a dove , or a bottle, or a glass of wine, etc. from the newspaper as the kicker .
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
236 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Joshua,
I have and still use Fantasio's canes a lot and for me I have never had the problems that you are talking about. It all comes down to the handling as I have shown many people that have asked me when they have seen me use them. When you are just doing a straight vanish to a silk it is better to have the silk the same colour as the cane if possible. Also when you have removed the cap before you let go give the cane a half twist anticlockwise towards you so that it releases the tension that is in the cane and this means that there will be less friction in the cane when you vanish it. ALWAYS make sure that the cane is stored in a collapsed state with an elastic band round it to keep it in good working order - never leave it in a "loose state". Hope this helps.

Stuart.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Finger/stage manipulation Vanishing cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL