The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Dinnerplate Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve
View Profile
New user
Belgium
89 Posts

Profile of Steve
Let me know if you like this routine. I came up with it a month or so ago. When I showed it to my wife (she always figures everything out) she just stared in amazement, shouting, how did you do that?

Trick is called: Dinnerplate Monte

Here's the effect:

You take the three top cards from a regular Bicycle deck, showing them to be one red and two black cards.

You place them on the table FACE UP, ready to start a three card monte thing.
You explain to the audience that the guys you see in the street doing the three card monte are frauds, and there is no way you can win.

You say you will demonstrate this as you start shifting the cards to different positions, still FACE UP. They clearly see all three cards and they clearly see the red card.

Now you hand one of the spectators a dinnerplate, asking him to inspect it,
check for any hidden mirrors, trapdoors or if an elephant is hidden inside.

The spectator finds nothing wrong with the dinnerplate and hands it back to you.

You tell the audience to look carefully, as this will be extremely fast, showing the skills of the magicians hands being faster then the eye.

You proceed with the trick, but do everything real slowly, so they can clearly see all you do.

Now you take all three cards and put the dinnerplate over them, you remove the first black cards, show it to the audience and put it in your pocket.
Remove the second black card, show to the audience and put in your pocket.

At this point you ask the spectators what they think is left under the dinnerplate, of course they will say the red card.

You slowly lift the dinnerplate to reveal one of the black cards that has already been removed.

Where has the red card gone? You ask.
You slowly turn the top card of the deck that has been in full view all the time to reveal the missing red card.

The red card goes with the black card that was left on the table, you take the black card out of your pocket, placing it together with the other two.

Everything can be examined, all you have are three ordinary cards.

Steve
GetJet
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of GetJet
Good presentation, I think I will try that one out (I know a way of doing exactly what you said). Thanks a lot for the idea.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Hey. That's kind of rude. That's something he made up. Ask his permission first. I really like that effect. It's a great idea Steve.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
I think sometimes we get too touchy feely over others using our ideas. If he posted it so openly I think permission to try it is implied. Check out the sticky topic in this forum. It warns people not to post anything they are attached to because all will see it.
Just my 2 cents...
~Spiff
Steve
View Profile
New user
Belgium
89 Posts

Profile of Steve
No problem.

Feel free to use it in your performance, as long as I don't see anyone marketing it.

If anyone is interested in marketing this as a little packet trick, let me know.

Steve
Smile
Doc Jakson
View Profile
New user
Chicago
10 Posts

Profile of Doc Jakson
Excellent idea Steve... very creative. Keep on developing your ideas, but if you don't want them spread all over the place I would recommend you share your thinking only with those you know and trust completely.

Doc Jakson Smile Smile
Follow the Money
GetJet
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of GetJet
Thanks Steve for stating clearly that you allow it to be used. I would be curious to know if the method is exactly the same. The idea is really great and I will put it to good use. Keep up the good work.
Steve
View Profile
New user
Belgium
89 Posts

Profile of Steve
GetJet,

Please PM me what method you are using, I'll let you know if it's the same or not.

Yes, would be interesting.

Steve
Smile
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
Why don't you add a little twist to the end of the trick? You can do this by performing it with a paper plate.

Sandwich a duplicate of the red card between two paper plates. Glue the plates together so they won't separate (kind of like a "pocket card"). Now, do the trick per your description, but instead of showing that the red card returned to the top of the deck, have the spectator rip the plate apart to find the duplicate red card that's inside.
rvigon
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
266 Posts

Profile of rvigon
Craig, that is a really cool twist but if doing table hopping gigs you'll have to carry about 30 plates around with you! lol
"No brilliance is required in magic, just determination and relatively clean fingernails."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Dinnerplate Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL