The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help with decals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Can anyone provide me with a source for decals I can use for some props. I'm refering to the type you might see on a lot of Milson Worth or Nielson Magic props.

I've done an internet search and have come up empty. TONS of decal places, but mostly stuff for custom cars, etc. Surely, there is someplace. BTW, I'm not an artist, so making my own is probably out of the question.

Any help will be MUCH appreciated.

Ron
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
There is a book by M. Ruez.... who I believe is a member of the magic Café, called magic stenciling techniques...I believe this is the exact thing you made be looking for, but I also believe it may be out of print or hard to get.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Ron:

I don't know of any Internet source for Magic-themed decals, but it may not be as difficult as you think to make your own. With a good graphics program (or even a simple one -- I use PrintMaster) and a product called "LazerTrans," you can easily make your own water-slip decals that will adhere to wood, metal, or ceramic substrates.

Essentially, you print your graphics at home on your own printer; avoid using white, since most copiers default white areas to blank spots on white paper. Then take this "master" and the LazerTrans to Kinko's, where the master is colour-copied onto the decal paper using a laser (thermoset) copier. Cut out the decal, soak in water, apply, clear coat with Krylon spray lacquer. Little mechanical skill is required, and the process is simple to learn.

LazerTrans is available at artists' supply houses -- if you wish to try this route, check with Dick Blick. Here in Cali I use the Art Supply Warehouse.

Best of luck,
Leland
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ron,

Check with your local "Signs in Seconds" shop (that make vinyl stick on signs). Most have software they use to make prop decorations. The newer Chalet props are trimed that way. It's cheaper than decals, looks good, waterproof, and made to order!

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you have an Alps color printer, which is a kind of dye sub printer. You can make transfer in it that are waterproof. Otherwise, you use an inkjet printer and put a thin coat of clear sealer over them.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
Just another additonal idea - is that Epson now puts out a line of inkjet printers that use "Durabrite Ink" which resists water and is fadeproof . They are as inexpensive as about $100 and produce great results, with the consumables inexpensive for each cartridges as well. I have one and have tested it and was able to completely get the paper wet and it didn't run or smudge. With all the great paper /label products now available and a graphics package this is easily done right at home. If curios just PM me.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks, everybody! These are terrific ideas to get me started. I will keep you posted.

Ron
massimo
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of massimo
Ron, do you remember the Horrace Marshall Company, they used to make feather flowers and etc.? Dr. Charlie Bronstrup (Dr. "B") bought it and still does flwers and all kinds of effects. Anyways, he has a line on those kinds of decals.
Just run a search engine for Marshall magic.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A point of correction...Dr. B. and myself bought the business together. I stepped out of the business about 10 years later, gave up the name but kept the rights.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
The stenciling book mention above really doesn't cover decals but I do have some experience with decal making. I have used ALPS printers to make the decals which produced waterproof decals on the water-slide decal paper. The printer can be finicky, jam, or print with lines visible in the image when they need servicing. The ALPS printers are no longer made but you can turn an old one for servicing and get a refurbished one back. Nice thing is they can do metallics and also white print. I haven't used the ink jet ones but I have seen some good results with these. Some folks have also used T-shirt transfers as well but I haven't. I have duplicated some MW decals using the ALPS printer.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Mike,
Did not know they had stopped making the ALPS. I love mine but it is a little expensive to operate on a daily basis. I will take care of mine and keep my old mac running so I can still use it.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Update on decals:

I contacted Dr. B. who responded back to me. I guess he's in the process of putting out a decal CD, but it's not quite ready. He sent me a couple samples, which look great - old-style Oriental looking things like that on the Milson Worth Silk Cabby and on some Norm Nielson items.

I have Matt's book on stenciling and it's very good and complete. Custom stenciling is time consuming, and I plan on using the techniques in his book and doing some things in the summer when I have lots more time.

I think I'm going to try Leland's approach first - but now the question is: Does anyone know of a good source for clipart or designs? I have Photoshop, so I'm assuming that will be a good program to work in.

Again, thanks for everyone's input...this is terrific - there ain't nothing like learning!

Ron
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I had some custom work done by FastSigns, which is a national company. If you find a local store, call them and ask what format they prefer for the graphics to be in. They make excellent vinyl signs. Mine were done with Corel Draw.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Fast Signs and shops of such do great work these days. However, should you choose to use them, be sure to explain what you will be using the decals for. The vinyl and film they use comes in different gauges, you don't want to end up with a thicker label as it will look obtrusive on the item you will be applying it to.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help with decals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL