The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cardini's single production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
I have been trying this for ages since I got the minipulation dvd's from jeff McBride. but every time I produce a card I can not seem to get my finger back in time to stop them from beeing held just by the little finger. did anyone have problems with this when the first started card minipulations or is it just me please help.

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Yes, I had the same problem. I'm sorry to say the answer is just practise. It will take a good while for the move to be natural, and for you to feel comfortable doing it. Until then, keep up the practise!
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Fortunately, I never had the problem, but many people have mentioned this problem and even demonstrated it for me. Some common problems that I noticed:
- The first finger is raising up, which allows the stack of cards to come free. It is not necessary for the first finger to do this much work. It should just kick out as much as it needs to so that the thumb can touch the face of the card and it does most of the work by pulling down. The first finger should not rise at all, but stay level, sliding across the upper edge of the stack.
Maybe this can help????
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I am not sure how to say this but here goes:

When the cards are in back palm and you reach to pull the card through, bring the joint of the thumb to the tip of the card edge showing and slide your index finger back while keeping contact with the cards. Then when the card is fully produced slide your index finger back into position. Maybe bring the palmed cards further forward as well. Don't be afraid to have the edges overly showing when you practice. I still don't fully have the single down either. I got the perfect production and split fan down pat heh.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Lukas, The Scot is right! It really is a matter of constant practice I'm afraid!
The method Joey Stalin has mentioned seems to be the technique Tony Clark uses on his dvd 'Award Winning Card Routine' It's not as pretty as the McBride method in my opinion, but it may help you get the feel of the production.

You say you've being trying for ages, how long is 'ages?'The only other advice I can give you that worked for me, (I am only a beginner myself!) and it sounds a little obvious, is to make sure you fully understand the technique by really studying what McBride is doing and the position of his fingers throughout the production. As Christopher Moro mentioned, you may be lifting your index finger as you make the production, causing the cards to pop out. Keep your hand relaxed, use only two or three cards to start with and look for small improvement week by week! Above all, though, don't give up, you will get it!!

Good luck I hope this helps!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
I do in fact lift my index finger up off the cards. that's the promblem. thanks for the help.

Lukas

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
If you watch the dvd again you will notice, if you haven't already, McBrides pinky seems to be in a fixed position that is slightly bent and slightly behind his ring finger. It looks weird, heh.

See you space cowboy...
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
I have infact noticed that its is a bit weird.

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

-- Yes, the pinky finger curling up does not look terrific, but I've had the same problem. It has to do with the larger width of a poker sized playing card. Because the cards are wider, they push open wider as well when they are in the BP position (abbreviations are good) and as a result, the pinky juts out just a bit as it tries to hold the stock. When using narrower bridge cards, this problem is less obvious. (Hopefully this makes some sense). When using thinner cards, this is less obvious. It could have to do with having small hands, as I do. Although, I have not met McBride in person so I don't know if he has small hands or not.

-- Lukas, you might want to try doing the Cardini Single very fast to see if you still lose the stock. Sometime going quick helps maintain grip. Then when you feel comfy with that, you can slow it down to a normal speed (if that's how you want to perform it).
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
Nope, first try to learn quick back palm the cards, and then you will get it!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Hi Nick,
I'm not sure your advice to Lukas is very clear. What do you mean by "nope?" And what do you mean by "quick bp the cards?" I'm not sure that vanishing a card/cards can help him in any way with the Cardini single production from a stock.
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Hey Guys
Thanks for the help I can now say that I'm getting better at it and I am not losing grip thaks for all the help. just another thin about the little finger Lance Burton dose it aswell.

Thanks again
Lukas

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

GREAT NEWS! Glad to hear it's working out Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe there was writeup in Greater Magic originally that might help you some with the move.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
missdirection
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of missdirection
One thing to notice, jeff mc bride is double joinetd(i think), so when you look at his fingers they may look a bit weird but unless you are double jointed don't try to force your fingers to look like his.

but that is no excuse for not practicing!!!!!
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I found that pressing down harder than usual on the corner of the card helps a lot when you produce the single. And you need to get it so your thumb bends over your middle finger. I got it down pat now.

See you space cowboy...
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Thanks for all the help I can now do the single production with ten cards.

Thanks
Lukas

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
It does take a lot of getting use to but was helps is when you have it cards in back palm,pull the top card forward slightly and then try to get you first finger aroung the top of the card before the other card slip out. than you can prod. the sparaqte card
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Practice practice and more practice. The reason this is hard in the beginning and seems impossable is that in most cases your hand is not ready. The muscle to your pinky is not strong enough until your hand is familiar with the move. To be able to do this with more cards you have to do it every day, and keep doing more. eventually your hand will adjust. I recomend thinking about what you are doing, what the magic moment is. When you produce a card from the air, let it sink in a second, drop it and produce another one, from the same spot or a diferent one. If you do this to quickly or while moving around it looks like you are taking cards out of your hand from some place, like you are doing some kind of diffficult card moves. Get your hands on a copy of Expert Card Manipulations by Lewis Ganson. Its kind of like the bible for this stuff and has great advice. On presentation as well as how to do it. good luck
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
Thanks Fish. I am starting card manipulation and I will definitely try that. In fact, I will try it right now.

Yes it works. Thank you very much Fish. Good advice
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cardini's single production (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL