The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100 years in the future (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kamini
View Profile
New user
LA
30 Posts

Profile of Kamini
If we could all travel 50 – 100 years into the future and read about the history of magic / mentalism who would we be reading about. The five categories are.

A. Financial Success
B. Popularity for the public
C. Creativity (For magicians / mentalist )
D. Performance Ability
E. All of the above
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Derren Brown
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Uri Geller
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Myself?
freeflyphil
View Profile
New user
phil
79 Posts

Profile of freeflyphil
I agree with Salsa Dancer, I would be very suprised if Derren Brown doesn't make it as big as the biggest names in magic.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Magicians will still be talking about that TV special in 2047 where the secret behind the world's biggest mega-illusion was probably the world's most ingenious use of the TT ever!
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Quote:
On 2005-03-22 00:15, freeflyphil wrote:
I agree with Salsa Dancer, I would be very suprised if Derren Brown doesn't make it as big as the biggest names in magic.

If he fails to make it big here in the US, Brown will be nothing more than a footnote in magic history.

If you want my vote, people will be talking about David Blaine. Sad, but probable.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-03-22 01:40, procyonrising wrote:
Quote:

If he fails to make it big here in the US, Brown will be nothing more than a footnote in magic history.

If you want my vote, people will be talking about David Blaine. Sad, but probable.

C'mon, we're talking upwards of 100 years!!! I'm sure the largest tomes will be on that so-called demi-god, James Song, and how he stormed the hypnosis community with a brand new way of thinking!!
Or Wizardo. I'm not sure which. Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
Quote:

Oh yeah, how could we forget that the US holds the key to all future success. Every historical figure made it big in the US then?

Derren Brown is already getting ingrained into the art and with his continued innovation he is bound to get a top place on the hall of fame.

Besides, I thought we were talking about the magic fraternity, a place where you don't need to make it big in the public eye to be a figurehead. Before getting into this mentalism malarky I had never heard of Corinda, Kreskin, Chan Canasta, Dunninger or any of those people. Yet they are historical names.

'If he doesn't make it big in the US he will become a footnote in magic history' that has got to be the stupidest comment I have read today, and I read a lot on the internet.
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Totally agree with you, Salsa.
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
munger
View Profile
Loyal user
austria
265 Posts

Profile of munger
Agree with slasa_dancer.
derren will do it and will be at madame tussot and
I don´t mean london Smile
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Jesus Christ............just a thought.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
One more vote for Derren, especially after the release in the year 2097 of the book "Derren Brown: the secrets of a deception genius".
Maybe some will even say "ah Derren shows..., it was the good old time when all those mind electronic scanners where not selling for 5 bucks on e-bay"
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Quote:
On 2005-03-22 06:23, salsa_dancer wrote:
Before getting into this mentalism malarky I had never heard of Corinda, Kreskin, Chan Canasta, Dunninger or any of those people. Yet they are historical names.

'If he doesn't make it big in the US he will become a footnote in magic history' that has got to be the stupidest comment I have read today, and I read a lot on the internet.

While that is an unqualified assessment of my statement--hence, stupid in and of itself--I stand by what I've written.

Corinda, Kreskin, Dunninger, Chan Canasta, and probably the many others you mention are not people we're talking about 100 years after they've made their mark. Kreskin, for instance, did much of what we talk about now in the 1970s.

A century ago, we would've been talking about Washington Irving Bishop and Stuart Cumberland. However, do you know of Onofroff, or Capper, or Pikman, or Dalton, or Caselli? These were all expert performers of muscle reading, yet never did quite achieve the same level of success as Bishop or Cumberland... and these are the two people we most recognize today. I'll let you reason out why...

Stupid indeed.
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Just my personal thought :
I don't think it would be Derren Brown
I mean, unless he publishes more (and I'm not talking about disclosing methods) I don't think his character will persevere as much into 100 years from now as the persons who write and publish today.

It was the same with Annemann, Corinda and many more.
Take for example Anna Evay Fay, she was amazing, famous, but what did she publish?
And today who we remeber?, the ones who wrote their legacy and thus became "immortal".

This has always happened in all areas of human knowledge : science, technology, social relations, even religion, etc. The ones that we speak about today, have been those who have put their thinking into words in their time.

anyway, I'm not sure if I have properly put my thinking into the proper words
... I think I need to go out some more.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Quote:
On 2005-03-22 03:09, Greg Arce wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

C'mon, we're talking upwards of 100 years!!! I'm sure the largest tomes will be on that so-called demi-god, James Song, and how he stormed the hypnosis community with a brand new way of thinking!!
Or Wizardo. I'm not sure which. Smile

Greg

That's hilarious. (Only because they'll say I learned everything from you.)

Greg, I need your help with the re-write of TDM. We have five solid show ideas, but I need more. Like four or five more. Regardless, we've got to talk about it.
freeflyphil
View Profile
New user
phil
79 Posts

Profile of freeflyphil
I would bet his methods will all be published by then. Some of them are already known. Lets not forget he put most of his card techniques in the Devils picturebook. No one performs forever.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2005-03-22 07:32, tuffnavyrn wrote:

Do you consider Jesus to be a mentalist/magician?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-03-22 14:22, jimtron wrote:
Quote:

More Blaine-ish... he did the loaves & fishes which is basically a six card repeat, but he did revive a dead guy so that's like Blaines dead fly thing. Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On 2005-03-22 15:10, Greg Arce wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-03-22 14:22, jimtron wrote:
Quote:

More Blaine-ish... he did the loaves & fishes which is basically a six card repeat, but he did revive a dead guy so that's like Blaines dead fly thing. Smile

Greg

This thread continues to get funnier and funnier!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100 years in the future (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL