The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Has anyone built a Hospitality set? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Genius that I am, I ordered Steinmeyer's Modern Art and other illusions solely for the Hospitality plans. It is available from the licensed builder for $500. I am cheap, and a little foolhardy, so I'm going to attempt my own. I have no timeline, so this can take 2 years if it needs to.

How stupid am I? Assume beginner to moderate wood skills. I have built a dulcimer and fixed a flap top mandolin, with help. Not the same thing, I know, but I have handled tools a bit.

When my book arrives, I will know how stupid I am, just wondering if anyone wants to give me a preview? (Not reveals, just difficulty.)
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Well, I´ve done mine with some help from a friend. I don't think you shouldn't have much problems. It is after all, just a box and the gimmick is not difficult to construct. It does require basic skills in woodworking, there´s no complex shapes or anything. Sure you need to be careful but it is very simple, I think you're surprised when you see how simple it really is.

But do test everything before you put it all together.
Sent from my Typewriter
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Revlovejoy,
I have seen several different versions of Hospitality, and I can honestly say the authorized version is the best. Trust me on this one! It's worth it to save up the money. In two years, you could easily save $500, and you won't be dissapointed. I'm not saying you can't build one, many do, but I've actually performed the trick with one of the authorized versions and a home-made version, and the authorized version is very nice, not to mention it comes in a nice looking case! Just my suggestion!
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
I am not familiar with Hospitality... Is there a picture anywhere on the web?
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I am sure you are totally right dearwiseone. I have every confidence in the authorized builder. I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to say they got their setup from the same people who supplied Lance Burton?

I guess I should add it's not just a money saving thing, I've always been a DIY guy. And sometimes, DIY ends up costing more. But being a leftie guitar player, sometimes making your own instruments is the way to go, when no one makes what you're looking for. I've just always enjoyed home brewing. Whether it's putting together my own computer, guitar amp, mandolin, or actual home brew. (My blueberry wine does quite a disappearing act among friends.)

Magicalmischief - Hospitality isn't much to look at as a still picture. It's a Jim Steinmeyer creation for Doug Henning, that is also done by Lance Burton. I first saw it on WGM a few years back. It's an any-drink from the same milk carton routine. But instead of a gimmick pitcher, the milk carton is torn up at the end, shown empty and normal. It's one of the strongest effects I've ever seen, and has stuck in my head for years. It fits the theme of my show PERFECTLY. I'm finally getting around to researching it. I can't find a video on the web, and the only picture is just the closed case on the authorized builder's site.

Mvmagic - thanks for the encouragement. I can't wait to see my book. I also ordered Device and Illusion at the same time. Through a one inch hole also fits my show theme to a T. I ordered them right from Steinmeyer's site, and since I'm in another state, no sales tax and they ship for free.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
You'll love both books! Hospitality isn't a very difficult prop to build and if you've done a dulcimer and any benches or cabinets, you won't hav any problems. You will have to experiment with the drink mixes.

Dave Charvet is the authorized builder of Hospitality and he is a member of the Café. You can't go wrong buying one from him. He does great work that is worth every penny of what you pay, but you would lose out on the fun of making your own.

Good luck with it and post some pictures when you're done Smile

Richard

BTW: There is a very cool levitation (suspension) in Device and Illusion that uses balloons. Check it out, too.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7403 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I remember Harry Blackstone Jr. doing the balloon levitation at Abbott's several years ago. I photos of him and a young Bellamie floating on the board. It was a nice twist on an old idea but did not leave me really impressed. It has hard to get the balloons inflated to the correct length to wedge under the board. If you have the book, you'll know what I mean. If not, buy it. It has a look of good ideas from one of magic's most prolific inventors.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Still waiting on my book via media mail, but I emailed what I thought was the publisher to confirm shipping, and got a nice note back from Jim himself. I responded with appreciation and compliments on the new "Hiding the Elephant" book.

Within an hour, Jim had emailed me back again with a detailed suggestion for solo performance. He also let me know Lance Burton is not currently performing Hospitality in the rotation, so I should be ready to not see it when I get to Vegas. He also assured me that construction was not difficult.

I'd never expect such personal attention from someone who's worked with the big names in the industry. I'm just Joe Schmo no one's heard of. Mr. Steinmeyer is a class act, and an asset to the magic community. I hope that as I get bigger and grander with my show, I run across more people like him.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I agree. I had a few questions a while back about Doug Henning and sent Jim an e-mail figuring I might get a quick note back when he had time. Within an hour he had answered my questions in detail, offered some suggestions, and let me know it was OK to e-mail him again if I needed to know anything else. Since then, I've talked with him a few times and every time he had been just as gracious. I know this is a little off topic, but it is great to know that someone with as much experience and knowledge as Jim Steinmeyer is so willing to help.

Thanks,
Richard
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
Revlovejoy you are a genius just for ordering Steinmeyers book! His works are some of the very best in illusions. Having built modern art, hospitality and shadow theater you won't be dissapointed in how easily you should be able to tackle any of his works. I agree that hospitality is a great piece and is often the one in our shows that people remember most, not the big box illusions but the intimate and involved way you interact with the audiance. Makes for a great piece on the apron between the large illusions. Good luck in getting it completed, and if you have questions after you get the book just pm me
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7426 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-03-22 05:38, magicalmischief wrote:
I am not familiar with Hospitality... Is there a picture anywhere on the web?

Here you go. Smile

Here's a description, but the photo doesn't load yet:

On David Charvet's new website.

The photo loads here, though:

On David Charvet's old website. Scroll......he page.

It was performed on one of Lance Burton's TV specials.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Revlovejoy, making Hospitality is the easiest woodwork project I've made. It's like making a simple drawer. But instead of the plastic glasses I use glass which is 3 inches in diameter and 4 inches tall. It gives more class to the act. Just don't forget to remind your assistant to retrieve the glasses after.
Lou
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
MagicByRy
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of MagicByRy
I recently purchased the book explaining Hospitality and am happy with it, however, I was assuming that it told you exactly what to use for the drinks and how much of it. Does anyone have more info on exactly what they use? I understand that it depends on the size of the glasses and the drinks you choose to use but was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice to save time. Please feel free to PM me. Thanks so much!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
On another note, Steinmeyer has 6 glasses on the front part of the box. This could also be reduced to 4 or 5 holes instead of 6. It will take less preparation to prepare. The entire box could then be smaller. But I'm not sure whether the impact of showing 6 or 4 changes will be the same to the audience?
Another point is whether both sides of box could be shortened from 16 1/2 inches to 14 inches. Has anyone altered their measurements on this?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
Lou we built our first hospitality like the book intructed, but later redid it using a bevel variation we added and it looks even smaller now. We use 6 drinks as it I believe makes the effect much stronger with more drinks rather than less. We use plastic glasses ( which I bought 3 big cases of from a surplus house) that are about the same size as you use. The bigger glases further enhance I believe as well.
Magicbyry contact me privatley and I may be able to help you on this illusion
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Has anyone built a Hospitality set? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL