The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gazzo! A long winded post about my pal. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I have recently had the very good fortune of becoming pretty friendly with one of the best street workers that has ever been, Gazzo.

It’s funny because I searched him out after I became interested in a project he did with David Britland about the work of Walter Scott, and not because of street performing.

Many of you may not know this, but as well as being the worlds most infamous busker, Gazzo was at one time considered by some to be one of the worlds greatest gambling card experts.

The stories are rapidly becoming legendary, one magician that I have great respect for called it, “The most mind numbingly difficult stuff I ever witnessed.” All of the right people called the work brilliant, and all of the right people put it down. To clarify that, there are a few critics in the world of magic who only call the brilliant crap. If these people say it is awful, you can be sure it is anything but.

Unfortunately, in the mid 90’s Gazzo suffered a medical incident that took this fine skill from his hands. Don’t get me wrong, Gazzo is still very good with a deck of cards, but his physical ability has been reduced to the same level the rest of us mere mortals live with.

Two years later, Gazzo rose from the dark hole he was knocked into by his medical condition. Most people would have just laid down and called it a day. That has never been Gazzo’s style. He rose up, older, wiser, perhaps a bit more humble, but still filled with a desire to be the best.

He went back to the street and in the hard sun of a buskers noon climbed his way back to the top of the pyramid. For the past several years Gazzo has been back on top, and working a pitch six days a week. It is the kind of comeback that like him or not, still draws nods of respect from all of his peers.

I have seen Gazzo’s performance from the 1989 International Magic Competition that Ron Macmillian put on. Gazzo was 29, in his prime, and won the competition hands down. I watched Gazzo do two shows in Quincy Market last night and he was at least every bit as brilliant as he was in 89.

Gazzo’s street act has been honed by 25 years of real work. It is the funniest, wildest, and most entertaining street show, I’ve ever seen.

He is famous in the world of magic today for his cups and balls routine. It has taken him all over the world and some parts of South Dakota (Thanks Jim). His revelation of a melon from under a bowler is so startling you can hear the Jaws clonk on the pavement as the audience’s mouths drop open.

For the past couple of years Gazzo has been working in secret on a new project. It is a new kind of act that combines Gazzo’s wild personality with his fantastic knowledge of magic and gambling. Once again Gazzo is going to start fresh and climb to the top of a new pyramid.

Now that this is the case he is giving the street act away. A couple of years ago now, Gazzo released a booklet through the school for scoundrels on this routine. It was a bare bones explanation with no patter lines and little information on misdirection.

For the past couple of weeks Gazzo has been working with a small group of friends to produce a video on his cups and balls routine. I was lucky enough to be a technical advisor on the project and watched something pretty close to the final cut yesterday.

This time, he is giving it all away. This tape is two hours long and contains two tricks. Think about that. It is all in there, every bit of misdirection and the “why” behind it, every line, every gesture, every nuance. While it was being edited he was repeatedly asked to cut some things and he said, “No, this is important, I want it all to be on there.” This tape is more like a free form lecture than a “how to” video. Gazzo wanted to make sure it was all out there.

As well as the cups and balls he gives away his floating card. If you’ve never seen this it is one of the strongest gags for a lay audience I’ve ever seen. This is all the real work. I still can’t believe he is letting it go.

He dedicates the tape to his good friend Jim Cellini. A nod of respect to a guy Gazzo considers to be one of the best there is or ever has been.

The tape should be available in a couple of weeks from the guys at school for scoundrels. This is really going to be a fantastic thing to see.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
This sounds very interesting. Please keep us posted on the tape! I would want to get one for sure.
Drive Carefully
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Danny,

Nice words. I am interested in seeing this material.

Thanks.

--Ron
Squishy-Squishy
View Profile
New user
Bensalem
14 Posts

Profile of Squishy-Squishy
Oh great, now we're going to have a bunch of Gazzos on the street, one was bad enough Smile Smile

Seriously, I've heard he's one of the best, despite his charming personality. I think the video will be worth it for the techniques, but I doubt many people will be able to pull off his patter (or would want to). Being a regular on performers.net I've seen Gazzo in action and I don't know how he pulls it off in Quincy Market (without getting busted). Perhaps there is a kinder, gentler side to Gazzo Smile

Naah... Smile

Glad to hear he's recovering well and I hope to see him next year in Boston!

Smile
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I am very interested in this tape. I've also heard that Gazzo has changed over the years, and has mellowed out a bit. Regardless of this, I'm sure this video will contain a lot of great information.

Does anyone have any Gazzo stories?
Drive Carefully
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
cups and balls being one of my favs. I'm looking foward to it.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
trilam
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
63 Posts

Profile of trilam
One Saturday afternoon this summer while in Boston on business, and after having learned the hard way that Hank Lees is not open on Saturdays Smile , I happened to stumble upon Gazzo's street act at Faneuil Market.
Though I had not heard of him, it was clear that he was a master of the craft and someone who knew how to work an audience in the street. I stood and enjoyed his act from start to finish, he even got me to help him. I spoke with him after his act and he was very friendly.
I recommend seeing him if you ever have an opportunity. I am also certain that his video will be a definitive cups and ball video.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Good to see you here, Danny!

I'll second everything that's been said about Gazzo; I've also been fortunate to become friendly with him here in Boston this summer, and never tire of seeing his show. I can recite 90% of the lines before he does, I've seen it so many times, but there's something about it that makes you know you're seeing a master (perhaps the fact that nobody else could get away with what he gets away with, both in jokes and in bold techniques :o)

I was quite disappointed that I was out of town the day Gazzo, Danny, and a few other friends shot the aforementioned video, and couldn't make it myself, so I'm quite anxiously awaiting it. From what I've heard from those who were there, it should be incredible!

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
EricClark
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
68 Posts

Profile of EricClark
I stopped by Faneuil Hall yesterday for lunch and caught Gazzo again. He is hilarious.

He said that he is going to be on the Tonight Show on Thursday (10/10). I couldn't confirm it on the NBC website however, so I might have fallen for some street schtick, but I'm going to tape it just in case.

For Boston area people, The Magic Hat closed down in Faneuil Hall closed down! The Magic Hat was a joke/juggling/practical joke/svengali deck store.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-10-06 10:22, EricClark wrote:
I stopped by Faneuil Hall yesterday for lunch and caught Gazzo again. He is hilarious.

He said that he is going to be on the Tonight Show on Thursday (10/10). I couldn't confirm it on the NBC website however, so I might have fallen for some street schtick, but I'm going to tape it just in case.

For Boston area people, The Magic Hat closed down in Faneuil Hall closed down! The Magic Hat was a joke/juggling/practical joke/svengali deck store.

If you see Gazzo's show enough it becomes quickly apparent that Gazzo will soon be appearing on the tonight show everynight.

He got me with it the foirst time I hear it too! Smile

He says it to get bigger tips, and who knows, if enough people call The Leno show asking when the Boston street magician is going to be on they might come looking for him!

Gazzo is a master at the art of deception and he uses it to his advantage in every aspect of his show. It's brilliant!

Best,

Dan-

Quote:
On 2002-10-06 02:12, Andy Leviss wrote:
Good to see you here, Danny!

Good to see you too! I was wondering where you were that day.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
EricClark
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
68 Posts

Profile of EricClark
Man, I fell for that one hard.

I hope the Cape Cod Tunnel Permit and
Cape Cod Nude Beach permits I bought this weekend aren't fake too! Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-10-07 11:41, EricClark wrote:
Man, I fell for that one hard.

I hope the Cape Cod Tunnel Permit and
Cape Cod Nude Beach permits I bought this weekend aren't fake too! Smile

I think the tunnel permit is good (I bought 2) but the nude beach requires no permit (Where would you carry it Smile )

Best,

Dan-

kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Any idea exactly when it will be released? How much is it going to be?
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-10-10 17:46, kid iowa wrote:
Any idea exactly when it will be released? How much is it going to be?

I really don't know. I do know it is going to be a school for scoundrels product. You could contact those fellows at their website for the particulars.

It is going to be great I can tell you that.

Best,

Dan-

mslj
View Profile
New user
Bradford, England
95 Posts

Profile of mslj
Received an e mail from School for Scoundrels a couple of days ago. Both 'Gazzo on the Cups and Balls' and 'Gazzo Uncensored' will, according to the mail, be out within the week.

The 'Gazzo Uncensored' is a live recording of Gazzo in action. You can already purchase a promo video which is quite sanitised and for me misses what the man is about. The Uncensored video is as you would see him on the street.

I saw Gazzo about a year ago in Virginia Beach and his ability to hold an audience was as good as I have seen anywhere.

Just got to get him to tour here in the UK and I'll be a happy man.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The two videos, each almost two hours long, will be released next week. The Gazzo Uncensored Video has his complete 40 minute show at the Magic Castle, plus his complete street show from Quincy Market including his drawing a crowd and collecting the money.

There is also a complete show at the Ren Faire in Texas, which shows him do the rope trick, and the "Underwater Escape" in which he abuses, harasses, and completely soaks a cute little six year-old boy. This also includes all of his patter and byplay with the spectators drawing the crowd and passing the hat:

"Little boy! All the other kids get to see the magic show. Your parents won't let you come with all the other kids and see the magic show. That's because they don't love you! They don't care about anyone but themselves. They're both alcoholics! Hey, little boy!"

The Gazzo on the Cups and Balls video shows the cups and balls performance from the Quincy Market, and then has Gazzo explaining every detail of his handling and thinking on the cups. He explains his table, giberciere (Poacher's Pouch), wand and all the loads. He also adds a few other tricks and bits of business. It is the whole enchilada on his cup and ball routine.

Available at http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com

Gazzo Uncensored $30
Gazzo on the Cups and Balls $35

I know you will enjoy them.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Oh Rats!

I said I wasn't buying anything else until I learned and used everything I already have, but I can't resist these.

So there goes another $65.........plus shipping..... Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Will they be available only on video or will there be a DVD as well?
Also when will they be up on the sight so we all can order a set?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mslj
View Profile
New user
Bradford, England
95 Posts

Profile of mslj
Both the videos:

'Gazzo Uncensored' and 'Gazzo on the Cups and Balls' can now be pre ordered from:

http://www.chefanton.com/entertain/store.html

Shipping at the start of November.

I don't think I've anticipated a product as eagerly as this one for some time. Happy Shopping!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Got them ordered!

Now I just need the patience to wait....

Between the Cellini Art of Street Performing and Cellin Lord and Master of the Rings, and these two videos, I will have enough ideas really get a street set put together right!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gazzo! A long winded post about my pal. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL