The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing in the cold (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I figured I would try this out in the off season here ... I'm in a little tourist trap, mostly over-priced shopping zone with a few resturants scattered around. Every couple of minutes a person might stroll by - they are always a tight bunch with their constant guard up.

One guy said "we don't need one" ... I polietly pointed out that I wasn't selling anything, just taking a survey and walked away.

Biggest problem I noticed was the wording allows for "no" ... that was driving me crazy, as it seems 9-out-10 just blindly answered "no" - without even really listening to what I said. On a busier street, this probroly would be irrelevant but in the off season at a tourist destination it is.

When someone does answer "yes", it opens the door very nicely ... I found it easy to do the trick without waiting for them to ask what I was doing. "Can we try an experiment real fast, I'm gonna write something down on this card - can you just name a number, any two digit number in the world" ... said so they don't actually get the chance to answer the first question.

First rule of sales is to never ask a "yes-no" question, because you might not like the answer ... I'm wondering if the line can't be reworded so there is no room for them to answer "no", then it would make a killer opening for any type of strolling event. Or maybe switch it around, "you don't believe in ESP do you sir? [no] good, I didn't think you did ... help me with an experiement ... I'm gonna write a two digit number down and not let you see it ... you just name a number - any two digit number in the entire world". Then act puzzled as to why it actually worked. If I were to do it again, I would try that approach and see how it goes ... if you could get it out before they can say "no" again, the card is in their hand.

As the weather warms, more people come to the beach so (hopefully) I won't have the time to play with it again anytime soon ... but I found it most interesting and hope I can remember to pull it out of my bag of tricks again someday - maybe with a clipboard next time. Not so much for the money, but because it was fun. Smile

One last note on this ... this would be a great way to hand out coupons, several places here in Myrtle Beach offer a kick-back on coupons you hand out that get cashed in. Do this on the back of the coupon, and as you hand them the card point out the coupon on the other side. This would also be great promotion if you work at a resturant, after you hand them the card let them know that you do table side magic on whatever night there.

Thank you Whit, this is a great method for working the street ... when I get the IRS paid off, I'm gonna be checking out that book of yours. Smile

JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
In response to the question originally posed (I think)

I have worked First Night celebrations (AKA New Years Eve) in parks. I purchased a set of really good thermal underwear and wore two pair of socks. By keeping a hot drink handy as a hand warmer I did ok.

Also, I tried to routine myself so that I did not need to do too many sleights, at least no ones that required fine finger movement.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2714 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 00:02, Bill Palmer wrote:
I can remember mornings at the Texas Renaissance Festival when my hands were shaking so badly that I couldn't even hold onto my cup.

Then I had a good belt of hot coffee and sobered up.

I'll bet stone roaring drunk, you're better than half the people here. (More than half of the group on alt.magic!)

Quote:
On 2005-05-06 13:38, fccfp wrote:
In response to the question originally posed (I think)

I have worked First Night celebrations (AKA New Years Eve) in parks. I purchased a set of really good thermal underwear and wore two pair of socks. By keeping a hot drink handy as a hand warmer I did ok.

Also, I tried to routine myself so that I did not need to do too many sleights, at least no ones that required fine finger movement.

I was wondering if anybody was going to mention First Night.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing in the cold (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL