The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flaming Hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
One of the elsive effects that got me into magic was the flaming hand on the magician episode of the Xfiles.

The magician showed his hand then the whole thing lit up.

The only hint I have found was in the invocation - some gel to cover your hand with. Sadly the invocation was made in the 1970's so that contact is no longer valid.

Any good ideas?
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
Fickle fire, you wont be able to show yours hands completely all the way round but the effect is good.
Keep passing the open windows!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for Fickle Fire, you never know when you're going to luck out. I just got a an unbelievable deal on them -just a bit above 1/4 the normal price, I'm almost giddy over it. I don't know what it is with me and fire effects, but I always manage to acquire fantastic deals - you just need to be patient.
The dealer is extremely reputable too, so I'm not worried about quality or rip-offs, which normally would be a legitimate concern. Usually I buy my fire effects from Jim Pace, but this was somebody else (Chazpro).
When I get them, Sensei, I'll let you know what I think, overall.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Did they arrive yet Mystician?
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Nobody seems to know about the chemical used.

How about just the finger tips being on flame?
RealDeal JU
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
375 Posts

Profile of RealDeal JU
!!!DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE ATTEMPT THIS. IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED BY ANYONE!!!

Sometimes, not for any show but just as entertainment for friends, we light our hands on fire using hairspray or some flamable bug sprays. It does get a little hot however. The flame only lasts a few seconds untill all the flamable chemical is burned up. I wouldnt try anyhting "more flamable" than hairspray though. If it is too flamable then the flame could 1.)last too long and burn you, or 2.)get to big and out of control. Once again, this is very dangerous and unprofessional to do. I recomend no one try this.
"Challenge yourself to come up with your own

material, rather than buying into the idea that

you have to do the same thing that everyone

else is doing to be a good magician."
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I gave always done it by just dipping a finger in the fluid. I then use the finger to light my first torch, put the finger out in my mouth and then go on with my act. Takes a little timing is all. I started working with fire in 1949, and, in spite of constant searching, have never found the elusive "cool fire gel" or anything similar.
But I never needed it!
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Sanscan, I suppose real *cold fire* doesn't exist...

I just found an old bottle with a label on: *cold fire* which I once bought from George Proust/France, for the burning thumb gimmick and I tried it out on a firewallet and on my fingers..
Actually it got as hot as my mixture of Zippo with chemical clean benzin/gasoline -which I now use for the firewallet stuff..there was no difference..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Skin blisters and deteriorates at 140 degrees F. That is not very hot where flame is concerned. Unless it is very important to your show, and worth limited engagements, high insurance and the CERTAINTY of having burns effecting your life, think about passing on fire effects. You will get burned, have accidents and learn the smell of burnt pork! Those TV clips that you see about accidents only last a few seconds, but a burn can last for weeks, and disfigurement can last a lifetime. That's a high price to pay for faking a "miracle." If you need the sensation for personal reasonsm stan under your shower at 120 Degrees F.. Do it for at least a couple of weeks, awake and sleeping while standing next to a pan of burnt pork.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
Sanscan,

I think I'm gonna be sick.

It certainly gets the point across.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
Norrabmagic
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Norrabmagic
The fire effect used in the x files magician episode was a digital camera effect. Nothing exists like this on the market. The closest thing would be fickle fire ( jair bonair's model that can flip from the front to the back of your hand) or the flaming gloves effect where the whole hand catches on fire. The latter is dangerous don't try it unless you know what you are doing. good luck.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
My post was meant to be graphic, I lived it after a blow-back. I had been a professional for years, but my time came around for a big burn. It was several weeks before I would even leave the house, and I was still an attraction to stare at! Trust me, the burnt pork smell is NEVER forgotten. Great burns or small, fire will always get you. Now go forth and smolder... carefully
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I got my Fickle Fire, I don't want to do a in -depth review here becausse this isn't the forum for it, but they work as advertised.
It takes a little practice to get the flaps to open right (if you swing too hard to open them, they bounce right back and shut ;-); the gimmicks, overall, stay cool, which is a plus. Sometimes it takes a few flicks to get it to ignite, but that's probably just me and technique. All flints take a few uses to bet broken in. Overall these are pretty neat, and I think, safe to use as directed, no problems there. Hard to beat for $15 new! (gotta love eBay)
The difficult part is ditching them, the Invisotorch has a definite advantage there, although that's one flame for both hands, rather than an individual flame for both hands. All in all, I'll use my iTorch more though.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Foeh
View Profile
New user
Jakarta
2 Posts

Profile of Foeh
Flaming hand? I use the gas lighter, it would show the fire in my closed palm, around 1-3 seconds.. depend on how brave are you.
Fickle fire? is it the best one?
web
View Profile
New user
Roanoke, VA.
24 Posts

Profile of web
I will return to the topic. What they did on the X files wasn't a magic trick at all. It is the same thing they use in the movies. It is a gel. I currently use it in my shows. This isn't the place for discussing it, just PM me anybody if you're interested in the method and links.
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
I would suggest getting Rick Haslett's Fire Palms. They have electronic ignition. They have served me really good and I always use them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flaming Hand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL