We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Changing patter for repeat audiences? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lynn Lee
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Lynn Lee
Hey guys--

Out of curiosity, do you have any opinions on what one should do if they end up changing their patter, but in front of a repeat audience? It's a strangely worded question, so I might as well give an example--I'd performed a version of Triumph using a sort of personal story to it. Well, it was, in retrospect, a little hokey and I wasn't totally comfortable with it--I've since changed it (for the better) slightly and rather like what I now have. Thing is, I tend to perform in front of crowds (usually at the requests of groups of friends--I've never 'forced' a performance on them) with one or two repeat spectators. They're bound to catch on to the change in story, and though they're usually great audiences, I wonder if this'll present any kind of problem if they catch the discrepancy? Has anything like this ever presented a problem for you guys? Perhaps it's not a huge deal--I haven't been performing for too long, hence my (perhaps unjustified) concern.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Lynn,
I would suggest that your concern is, indeed, unjustified.
After all, did we expect Sir Laurence Olivier to come up with new words in Hamlet every single time he did it?
Or a great comedian -- Henny Youngman comes to mind and did anyone suggest he should NOT use the line "take my wife --- please"?
Lynn Lee
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Lynn Lee
Hi Peter--thanks for the advice! I'm still new enough to this (as you may have gathered) that I tend to run even when I'm not being chased in many situations. It's always reassuring to hear the advice of a far more experienced magician than I.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I think Pete may have slightly misunderstood your question. The way I read it is that you've already MADE the decision to change your patter, and now you're worried that some audience members will notice that change and call you on it:

Such as, "Hey, that's not what you said LAST time!"

If that's your real concern, I would say don't even worry about it. If someone DOES say something, just tell 'em "Well, last time I lied ... but now I'm telling the gospel truth". Say it with a twinkle in your eye - or even some "air quotes" around the gospel truth part (if your character allows) - and you'll probably get a bonus laugh out of the deal.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Aha! I see, now. (BTW, whoinhell is "Pete"? I'm "Peter")
If you have already changed the patter, don't worry about it; even if the audience notices (which is unlikely), they will assume you had a good reason to change it and will accept it.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Lynn:

I think Thomas has given you good advice - don't give it a second thought! I really don't think your repeat spectators will think anything of it, but if they do, the "gospel truth" line will take care of it quite nicely.

Ron
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
536 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
With new patter they will probably think it's a different trick!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Changing patter for repeat audiences? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL