The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » With this ring I thee wed... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Alright guys and gals...
I don't know where to post this but here goes...
I tie the knot next month on the 23rd of April. My fiance' is pretty supportive of my off the wall dreams and magic ideas. I am curious how has magic made or hurt your relationships... Steve Thomas said it best about his wife not understanding why he would pay 300 dollars for a card selecting duck.
Any ideas for compromise and how to let your significant others become more involved in your act...
Thanks for the help...
Bryan
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
It's a trade off with my wife, I get a new trick, she gets a new hand bag..lol. So I outsmarted her, I got a part time job at the local magic shop so I can play with the toy's, I buy less, she gets less handbags....

Seems to work for us.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Why not get her in on the act (it is a her right?) anyways let her know how much money can be made if the act is good and see what happens from there?

johnny

And it's... "With this ring I DO thee wed." Get it right now or pay the penalty later in life... hehehehe.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I would always suggest marrying a magician Smile Sure makes life easier when you need to buy that big expensive prop or go on tour for weeks at a time with sexy assistants.

Just think about it guys...if you have the foresight to marry a magician you marry someone who would rather have a big illusion than a big diamond!

However, love never makes sense, hence we end up marrying stockbrokers, lawyers, engineers, astronauts, and teachers. Sigh. I agree Bryan about getting your spouse into the act as sometimes being best.

I have more thoughts, but I need a stiff cup o' coffee before I attempt to talk about it.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Congrats, Bryan! I'll be getting married too this June. She's not a magician (or built like the stereotypical "Illusion Girl") but she's got a degree in psychology...which in this insane business should come in real handy.

She's always been understanding about my travel and encouraged my wacky endeavors -- even helped me develop a shattered and restored, full-length mirror effect for a specialty show. (Boy was she excited about being involved in the process and seeing it finally work!) I don't think that magic will get in the way of the relationship.

But, my FIRST wife was a different story. She worked in the show and had an deal figure for concealment in a bevel base. I found out later that she did it grudgingly, though...hoping to simply help me get the whole magic thing out of my system. Little did she know that with the Magic Monster, it only gets stronger if you feed it. It wasn't magic that broke up the relationship, but I believe it was a small factor.

I'm planning to use a bit of magic at our reception during our first dance together. (She specified NO magic during the wedding itself.) Just wondering if you're planning to incorporate anything into your special day?

Dan Wolfe, aka. "The Amazing EARL"
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I had a show last week with one of my former girlfriends .. and I was quickly reminded why I'm not married. A few hours with her is enough to drive anyone insane!

It's not in the cards fo me ... but good luck to you and your new wife.

Steve
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Dude...uh, are you the ace man himself??? Kiss got me kicked outta third grade class and a lot of swats on the *** from the principle...hehe

KISS rules !

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I think with any relationship, it's important to communicate. You are each individuals with your own wants, needs, and desires. By only satisfying your own needs is selfish. Every morning when you wake up, let the first thing on your mind be her and let her know that. A kiss and a hug and an "I love you" is a great way for her to start her day as well....and MOST important thing to remember....

Love making is like a Chinese dinner...the meal is not over until you both get your cookie!!
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
HAHA!

Muzicman that was both very true and very funny (that last bit). I think the most important thing to do is find out if she likes magic from the very start. When my Fiancee and I started dating, I found out that she used to have magic as a kid and even had a magic set or two. This was very comforting as I was able to relax and not have to feel like I was "Holding back" on the magic. To this day she still loves it and made me PROMISE to do something at the reception for our wedding next year.

It all comes down to communication right off the bat.

And yes, we too have a deal that if I want to purchase some crazy expensive effect, I have to at least take her out for a fancy dinner or something.

Works well for us.

POOF!

Chris.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
My wife supports my magic, buys me props, and attends lectures with me. I just make sure she has what she needs before I make a major purchase. She may have her heart set on a new dinette set at the same time I am looking at Zig Zag Illusion. What we need are magic props that double as household appliances! My wife is VERY tolerant of my magic. I have managed to take over the bedroom, the living room and the master bath with my props and lights and puppets and signs and illusions and gimmicks and coins and DVD's and books and more props and.....
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Congratulations Bryan!

My wife is not a magician, nor does she have any desires to ever be on stage in front of a group of people, but she does support me 100% in magic. She motivates me to keep going, to keep pursuing new ideas, to keep practicing, and being an escape artist, she is always willing to strap me into my strait jacket! Smile

Honestly it is all about communication and respecting each other's dreams...I'm lucky to have married my best friend and to have someone who is so supportive of me...

Allan
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Thanks for the tips guysa and gal...
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
As long as there is understanding... she doesn't have to be interested in magic like you are, but she must understand why its important to you. As long as she can do that, you won't have to worry about eye rolling and sarcastic comments when you want to practice or buy new magic... by the same token... don't force her to be your practice dummy if she's not interested! Seeing every little trick you get performed poorly (as it most certainly will be the first time) will not spark her enthusiasm.. much better to have her sit in on your polished shows and view things in their proper context.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » With this ring I thee wed... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL