The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk "stand" or clip? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I don't do a lot of silk work, but I am planning on doing a soft soap routine soon. I have the Laflin version which is actual silks, not cotton.

The way I'd prefer to present it would have the silks out of my hands when I tear the box open. I would like them up and visible, not just laid down on a table.

Is there a common stand or prop of some kind that is designed for silks? I could just do something with clothespins on a pole of some kind, but if there's a "silk stand" on the market, I'd love to know where to look.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If you happen to use a Joe Lefler Pro Suitcase Table, then you can clip the silks in the folded down handle, on the top front of the table. Some people cover this part up with their signage, but I put my signage on the bottom section of the front, so I can use the handle for holding silks and cards now and then.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I don't use any kind of suitcase. This would be performed as a solo effect, in a church setting, no other magical apparati around, and not wanting to put props on the altar.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Take a lightweight music stand and put a cross piece on the top. You can lay the silks across the bar.

Silks huh. Actually, I prefer cotton as it hides the gimmick better.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Slapping head with palm! (reading hugmagic's post) - THAT'S why they're usually cotton. I was a bit worried about hiding the gimmick when I first saw it.

I may use the music stand idea, that will be something I can access easily.

Thanks!
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Hugmagic,Just an FYI:
Re. Soap Soap

I just bought the cheaper version using cotton (rags?) and find it too rough to handle tring to stuff the dirty one into the gimmick.
However, my close friend had a set using silks from years & years ago, all the silks were discolored. He gave me the 'dirty silks' and I use them to put into the box & bring them out sparking white using the cotton gimmick and the other two.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
When I first started doing it I did not realize that the gaff hung inside the hanky. I just had it suspended on the outside. You had to be a little more careful but it worked.

Yes, it is takes little work to push in the cotton hankys but I think they look more natural. Once you use them more they go in easier.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have a question about this, RevLoveJoy.

I perform this trick in my gospel shows, with the version made by Doc Haley Magic. With my set, I would not be able to just lay the "clean" silks over the cross piece on top of a music stand. At least one of them would fall off unless clipped in place, if you know what I mean. I could lay them onto a table, just not over a rod.

Just wanted to make sure that you thought this all the way through.

You can also just use a simple side table (Eureka Table base with a basic wood top, no fancy tablecloth to make it look too bulky).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
376 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
I use an open top box and lay the silks over the edge. Inside the box across the top is an elastic strip to hold silks when needed. I just tuck the edge under it.
Rick
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Don's right. Clipping is necessary if they're going to "hang."

The more I think about it, if I really want to hide the method, the best way is to pull one specific silk first, nonchalantly lay it down, and "stagger" pile the other two and make a small pile, but still clearly all white. I'd like to avoid any fussing with the silks once they're out. Just pull em, show em, and let them alone. Too much fiddling after they're out of the box would worry me. Though, the heat is still going to be on the box. Only after the box is shown truly empty, will anyone reverse-engineer and possibly go back to the white silks to look for a problem. By then, the method is well hidden.

Thanks for all your help in thinking this through everyone!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I haven't done this routine since Friday night, but I'm sure I'm beyond the 2000 mark for performing the trick. While my stage routine is not concerned with "laundry", the principle I use is indeed "Soft Soap". (My props were custom made for me.) I have never used anything except real 18" silks (gimmick and all) and I'm pushing thirty years of using the routine. They are all 5 momme silks and I've never had an exposure problem with them. I also have used about every color possible except white for the gimmick. Friday's show was red, yellow and blue. There is absolutely no reason I see to change from silk to cotton unless the routine patter requires it. It is much easier to transition from one silk trick to the next using silk instead of starting and stopping with cotton.

The old Lipstick on the Hanks trick that was manufactured with cotton hanks is perhaps the reason some people think it is only a cotton trick.

This is a grand opportunity to:

Think Outside the Box!

Cotton makes it a "One Trick Pony!" Go with silks and silks large enough to use on stage. (To me that means nothing smaller than 18".)

I use the "restored" silks in the next trick. If that is true for you, you will want to deal with the box first. If that is not true, hand the restored hanks off to an assistant. (Having the assistant hold a bag open while you toss them in in acceptable. (The hanks are gone and no one is observing them.) Then deal with the box. Dropping the box to the floor in plain sight may be your only choice.

It's a great trick. Use it hard!

Bob
Magic By Sander

I hope to have a Ten Commandments version of it and several other tricks available in a few weeks. Stay Tuned!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk "stand" or clip? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL