We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where do I start learning dove magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dluong
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of dluong
Hi everyone,

I've been doing close up magic for about 3 to 4 years now and I'm starting to get interested in stage effects, especially doves. I was searching magic websites for dove production videos and there are so many and I don't know which ones to buy. Does anyone have any recommendations? How is Tony Clark's Unmasked videos vol. 1 and 2?

thanks in advance,
dluong
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dluong, There are many posts in this forum concerning doves, getting started, requirement etc. You might want to just scan through the topics for awhile. In any event, regardless of which books or videos you get, be sure to pay special attention to what it takes in regards to care and feeding. Using doves is a rewarding experience however there is a lot of behind the scenes maintenance that is necessary to train and care for them. Here are a few suggestions that have very valuable information in them.

Tony Clarks, unmasked and behind the seams
Andy Amyx, doves 101
Marion Chavez encyclopedia of dove magic
Ice McDonald, I dove you truly

There are many more but these will get you started.
Where the magic begins
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Greg Frewin
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You're right Walsall, Greg's is another good choice but at $150, it might not be in the budget for a newbie. Then again, if you're serious about the art, then the price shouldn't be the issue.
Where the magic begins
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
I just posted this in another area here but I bought the tapes on trick training and bird magic from Dave Womack. I was able to get them at a magic acution but even at the regular price it's simply some of the best money I've spent on bird magic.
Enjoy!!!
Joe Comet

P.S. Dave... you produce a live baby in your show!!! WOW LOL cute little one!!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Comet, the baby wasn't my production but one of my daughters. There will be a second production added in May. Thanks for compliment
Where the magic begins
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I felt though that despite Greg Frewin's largeish price tag, it is worth it due to the fact that doves are a serious commitment. Obviously if you already have doves these might not be for you but for a beginner. These are invaluable and cost less than a lot of things in dove magic.
Nick
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I've been doing dove magic for years so wouldn't consider myself a beginner and I found a lot of good info in Greg's video. I'm not sure if he still offers it but when I bought his vid, a few weeks later I got the drawings and specifications for his dove bags for free.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I would really recommend starting in dove magic with box magic. Body loads give you some freedom but they also schedule your show for you. The audience doesn't care. I finally dropped twin dove production from the show. The audience couldn't have cared less and it gave me too many doves on stage. That, like a lot of magic, is just something you do to show off to other (non-paying) magicians. I still body load doves but after several decades in this business, I'm even more certain that the audience just enjoys the surprise and the beauty of the doves. They don't make notes.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of wally
How do I get my doves to fly back to me.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Wally, there are several threads about the fly back here in this forum already. Here is one of the more recent ones.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=13
Where the magic begins
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
You start NOT by buying doves, but by doing a lot of research into dove magic, to see if it is suitable for you.

Many beginners don't think about the cost, care and time required to work with doves! They realise dove magic isn't for them, and are stuck with a set of doves. A great shame.

Research the art from the books and videos suggested, and THEN decide.

Kevin Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where do I start learning dove magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL