The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rosewoodmagic
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of rosewoodmagic
Hello,

I am new to the forum. And I'm not sure if this is t he right place to be posting, if its not, please feel free to correct me.

I have been building illusion for local magicians for about 6 years. And want to take my fabrication to the next level.

I have some unique ideas that I would like to get out there on the general market through magic shop.

What is the best route to take to do this?

Thanks In Advance!

RWM
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
You're best bet, I think, would be to set up a web site with samples of your work and see what types of requests you get. Magicians are always looking to have stuff built and really like to work one-on-one with the builder.

Good luck,
Richard
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I agree. A very well designed website with good graphics is essential this day and age to reach your target audience. Good news travels fast in this new world. If your props are quality you may have to increace your bandwidth. Your current website has a main page only. I left after 3 clicks....
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Truthfully... the old way still works best.

a.) Build a new effect
b.) Perform that effect regularly for about a year then,
c.) Get booked into a Magic Convention or two and perform it there.
d.) Take orders!

I've been an illusion designer for most of the 35+ years I've been involved in magic, a few of the bits I've contributed to or created have won a degree of merit. One thing I will tell you (which will be more than sustained by the more noted designers out there) is that designing magic WILL NOT MAKE YOU RICH! In fact, you're more than likely to go broke doing it... even Stinemeyer keeps his day job @ Disney... it's just that simple.

If you are going to build "stock" magic (and there is a massive market for this) then deliver an exceptionally good quality, practical array of illusion systems that are competitively priced. Then again, if you were really smart and resourceful, today's market has a big void in what used to be known as the ILLUSIONETTE area i.e. physically small effects that play big (look at the old Abbott & Tannen catalogs and you'll see dozens of these bits.)

The ideas expressed are "sound" BUT, the unfortunate reality is that the Internet has made it all too easy for shoddy craftsmen to promote themselves and burn some very hardworking individuals. REPUTATION -- word-of-mouth -- is the real key. What I've shared will help you "get there" but probably not as quickly as you may wish. Please do yourself a favor and take a look at how guys like Stinemeyer, Woodbury, Whitaker, Blaney SLOOOOWLY built their names and reputations...

Oh! There's always the other little tactic -- Write a book and put a couple dozen effects in it that are novel, easy to construct (as well as perform). Don't worry that it may be some of your "best" material, just get it out there for people to see, read, and talk about. Too, in book form YOUR ideas become documented as YOUR ideas and are thus "protected" (at least to some degree) from those underhanded pigs within our community that will seek to "borrow" them and call them "their own."

Best of luck!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Osiris,

Lots' oof good points.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL