The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » who has the biggest book collection on Earth? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
Who has the biggest book collection on Earth?Does anyone know?
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
This is only a guess but Micky Hades has one heck of a collection.

It is so big, that his repeat books are for sale on the internet and it fills many, many pages.

For Escapology, Stephen Forrester has everthing written on the subject.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
What about the Mulholland collection? I think Copperfield bought it. What about the Milbourne Christopher collection? Hades is simply a dealer with a big inventory, no?
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
He has a library. The ones that are for sale are extra copies of books that he already has.

He also has a line of new books as well.

True, I did not take the two others into consideration. I'd guess that Hades comes in third.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I believe DC has the largest collection, especially rare books, I heard.
martinka
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of martinka
While DC may have largest overall magic collection out there, I think the Library of Byron Walker is the largest privately held collection of magic books.
www.martinka.com

"Buying & Selling Magic for over 100 Years"
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1808 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Ditto for Byron Walkers collection, I was at his house and every space in his house has books, there is actually very little living space. When I saw his collection, all I could do was drool. On top of that, Byron is a super guy and VERY knowledgeable on books.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I think Uncle Jay does. The deal between he and Bob Lund was who ever died first, the other gets the collection. If you've ever been to Magic Inc [especially in the old days, I remember] Books stacked tall everywhere, storage room, up the stairs to the upstairs apt, and in the apt as well,. Uncle Jay loves books, buys them and reads every one of them. I don't know about now. I'd say he's got a really large collection. For someone who has a library, it would be a good idea for them to read each book, especially if it's large. What would be the point of having one if you hadn't?
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Jay Marshall has a huge collection of books on everything that interests him ... and everything does ... and he knows what's in all of them.

I once asked him if he had a first edition of a certain magic book. He said, "I think so," and disappeared into a back, back room. He returned with the original, hand-written manuscript.

Some years ago I was researching a script about Riverview, an old (and long closed) Chicago amusement park. I had access to the Chicago Tribune morgue and the Chicago Historical Society. Neither one had what I needed. Jay did and it took him about three minutes to lay his hands on it.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
when you were researching Riverview did you talk with Marshall Brodien?
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
503 Posts

Profile of Corey K
The H. Adrian Smith Collection at Brown University is one of the biggest collections. I'm not sure if it's THE biggest, but I'm sure it's up there in the top 5...
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
The Magic Circle, London, has an extensive collection including an original 'Scots Discoverie of Witchcraft' The first ever book written on magic published in 1584
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I don't know where it ranks, but Ken Klosterman has a healthy collection, not to mention one of the finest collections of antique magic and memoribilia on the planet.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I think David Copperfield.

I read somewhere that Jay Marshall sold his collection to David Copperfield.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Probably the Library Of Congress. Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4975 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
The big magic book collection of the late Jack Avis, England was very impressive with over 1200 books plus a collection of private correspondence with Ed Marlo, Dai Vernon and Stewart James.

Contact John Derris if you are interested in this collection:
europro@tiscali.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » who has the biggest book collection on Earth? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL