The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » 'Faking It' TV Show Does Magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Not sure which forum to put this in...

Faking It Special
10pm on Sunday 27th March (1 hour 40 minutes) on Channel 4.

"In this Faking It special, Kevin McMahon, a brainy physicist from Edinburgh, who says he's never told a lie in his life, leaves behind his cloistered life of facts and truth-searching to enter a world of deception and illusion as he tries to pass himself off as a magician at a top London cabaret club. Diffident, tongue-tied 24-year-old Kevin has just four weeks in which to turn himself into a supremely confident, convincing illusionist. With the help of some of The Magic Circle's hottest young stars, Kevin's job is to convince an expert panel of judges, including the legendary Paul Daniels, that he is a magician. As Kevin swaps his lab coat for a cloak of secrecy, will the judges spot him as a fake and will his dream go up in a puff of smoke? And will the lure of the world of magic change how he feels about his old life?"

I just hope there's no exposing of methods - 'Faking It' is seen by way too many people in the UK...
seandixie
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of seandixie
I too saw the trailer and am looking forward to it-same goes for exposure, but for those who have never seen this series it's great! Personal favourites were the burger flipper to cordon bleu chef(he convinced 'em)and art historian to graffiti artist, he to managed to fool the experts.
jtcavataio
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of jtcavataio
What network is Channel 4 in your area???
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
It's a UK channel.

Take care, Ian
card123
View Profile
Loyal user
Button moon
208 Posts

Profile of card123
He's now a professional magician.

SERIOUSLY!
scarbo
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of scarbo
Looks good judging by the trailer. Sure I spotted Penn & Teller in there somewhere...
Ben Shawcross
View Profile
New user
Cardiff UK
85 Posts

Profile of Ben Shawcross
Yeah, Penn & Teller were definately in the trailer - lucky guy! Hopefully, with Faking It being a popular and well made show, they will respect the secrecy involved. But then P&T may not help with that...

It's great that the show is on for so long, maybe we might learn a few tips for ourselves!
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
580 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Well done... good for him, he did great, he fooled them, BUT now hes a professional after 3 months??!?!!?!?! Maybe I should become a Physicist, cant be that hard then?
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
The Penn & Teller trick really turned the performance around - great theatrics.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 17:42, Nick23 wrote:
Well done... good for him, he did great, he fooled them, BUT now hes a professional after 3 months??!?!!?!?! Maybe I should become a Physicist, cant be that hard then?

Not only is he a working professional but he has a better personality than many of the people that have been doing this for years.

Remember, time served is not an indication of ability.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
580 Posts

Profile of Nick23
"Remember, time served is not an indication of ability"

So basically what your saying is that practising until your hands bleed is worthless. Sure, you can have a great personality but if your magic sucks, where’s the magic, you would just be a fool dropping cards? I guess that's ok if you are a comedy magician, but what if your not?

Of course, having Pat Page as a tutor didn’t exactly go against him.

Doesn’t this whole show undermine the "art" ??

I think the whole show has just proven that its easier the teach presentation than magic. All the tricks he did were relatively easy from a technical stand point. Please don't think I'm bashing the guy though. I think he did really well.

Its the typical rookie thing though, that as soon as you know a little you think you know everything... well obviously he thought he knew enough to turn pro.
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Nice one Kevin!

Fortune favours the audacious' - Erasmus Smile
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Everything works with elastic up your sleeve apparently.Probably thought they had to show some kind of method.Oh,and a force that no-one uses after the age of 11!
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Yes I thought that the exposure wasn't an issue. More a program about confidence and psychology.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 17:57, Nick23 wrote:
"Remember, time served is not an indication of ability"

So basically what your saying is that practising until your hands bleed is worthless. Sure, you can have a great personality but if your magic sucks, where’s the magic, you would just be a fool dropping cards? I guess that's ok if you are a comedy magician, but what if your not?

Are you trying to say that you are one of those guys that walks around with an air of superiority whilst performing flourishes, cuts and fans? Magic starts and ends with the presentation, anything in between is superfluous, sorry to break it to you not so gently here. If you have great magic and your presentation sucks you are no better off.

There is nothing worse than the brash, arrogant exterior of the magician that pushes his slimy way into your personal space.

Quote:
I think the whole show has just proven that its easier the teach presentation than magic. All the tricks he did were relatively easy from a technical stand point. Please don't think I'm bashing the guy though. I think he did really well.

There is a whole argument about presentation over technicality brewing here, and I sit firmly in the presentation camp. You only had to see the reaction from the little girl at the end to see that he has tremendous showmanship abilities. The technical skill can be learnt by any monkey.

Quote:
Its the typical rookie thing though, that as soon as you know a little you think you know everything... well obviously he thought he knew enough to turn pro.

This is a typical 'old school'attitude, usually fuelled by jealousy. I am not bashing you, but, as a performer myself I could enjoy watching him. The other guys on the show, those that had been at it for years had little or no charisma and all performed packet tricks. His simple adaptation of the t&r newspaper showed that he had a good level of thinking that will make him a succesful performer.

You can go out and perform anytime you like, I think this show proved that with a little confidence and personality you can achieve the same, or better, results.
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Salsa wrote:-

Quote:
There is a whole argument about presentation over technicality brewing here, and I sit firmly in the presentation camp. You only had to see the reaction from the little girl at the end to see that he has tremendous showmanship abilities. The technical skill can be learnt by any monkey.

....even ChEeKy_MoNkEy?...hehe Smile

Quote:
This is a typical 'old school'attitude, usually fuelled by jealousy. I am not bashing you, but, as a performer myself I could enjoy watching him. The other guys on the show, those that had been at it for years had little or no charisma and all performed packet tricks. His simple adaptation of the t&r newspaper showed that he had a good level of thinking that will make him a succesful performer.

Could'nt agree more. IMO he had more charisma and personality than the other so called "professionals" put together. For me, presentation and showmanship is the most important thing. True...no good without the practical skills, but he seemed to show a good mastery of the card flourishes, other "tricks" etc., in the relatively short period of time he had to learn them, of course with practice he'll continue to improve in that area. Plus in the end he genuinely seemed to enjoy what he was doing. Good luck to him that's what I say.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Maybe his charisma came largely from the fact that he wasn't a professional magician.
Therefore it was a bit of a laugh (even if nerve-wracking).

Maybe 'cheesiness' comes with familiarity...

Give him a couple of years working tables...
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 21:10, PapaG wrote:
Maybe his charisma came largely from the fact that he wasn't a professional magician.

Maybe 'cheesiness' comes with familiarity...

Give him a couple of years working tables...

Yes indeed, give him a couple of years and he will be regurgitating packet tricks including all the patter.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
580 Posts

Profile of Nick23
On 2005-03-27 18:59, salsa_dancer wrote:
Quote:
Are you trying to say that you are one of those guys that walks around with an air of superiority whilst performing flourishes, cuts and fans?

No I don't walk around with an "air of superiority", but I do believe in flourishes as do many other magicians. Im not going to get into the "to flourish or not to flourish debate", but that's my opinion I'm I'm sticking with it.

Quote:
There is a whole argument about presentation over technicality brewing here, and I sit firmly in the presentation camp.

Me too. I never said I wasn't.

Quote:
You only had to see the reaction from the little girl at the end to see that he has tremendous showmanship abilities.

Okay... that's not quite how I saw it. “tremendous”, that’s a bit over the top. She was just amazed that a sponge ball appeared in her hand, not that he painstakingly constructed a novel story around a lost baby fox looking for her mother.

Quote:
This is a typical 'old school'attitude, usually fuelled by jealousy.

Not in the slightest. Im not jealous, I'm happy for him. I think the term old school should be changed to "tried and tested" though. I didn’t invent that saying. Ask anyone who mentors someone. At some point the student will get too big for their boots and think they know it all. I've seen it happen first hand.

Quote:
The other guys on the show, those that had been at it for years had little or no charisma and all performed packet tricks.

Charisma? Hmmm, that first guy seemed quite good. Kevin didn't pick the tricks he performed or even the script. Left to his own devices I'm sure that program would have had an entirely different outcome. If anyone had Pat Page on their team I’m quite sure you would construct an act that would be "quite" good.

Quote:
His simple adaptation of the t&r newspaper showed that he had a good level of thinking that will make him a succesful performer.

How do you figure that? How do you measure success? Good thinkers aren’t necessarily good performers. You even said yourself it was a “simple” adaptation, not exactly rocket science.

Quote:
I think this show proved that with a little confidence and personality you can achieve the same, or better, results.

Yep. I agree.

Ok. I believe its traditional now, if you quote everything I just said and create a counter argument and point out any hypocritical states that I may have made Smile
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
PapaG wrote:-

Quote:

Erm..not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying professional magicians generally lack charisma? Also, I'm not sure what charisma has to do with whether it was a bit of a laugh or not, etc. IMHO - you either have it or you don't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » 'Faking It' TV Show Does Magic (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL