The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins across (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Vragard and What,

Sylvester's Coins Across is on his Sylvester's Pitch '98 video. It's one of the tricks he shows using his Pitch. I guess a lot of folks might've just passed by it, as you have to get that illusive Pitch of his down first...Smile But if you get it down good, boy is this Coins Across powerful. Interesting that not many people speak of it when they discuss Coins Across, but I'll tellya, it's very magical like anything done with this pitch and done well will be most magical in presentation. Check it out and let us know what you think. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
The thing I like with the Sylvester Pitch/Inertia Pass Coins Across is for each travel, the magic is heard audibly and instead of a palm up display, you could push the coins to the fingertips in a fan resembling a fingertip coins across.

It is for sure a perfect lead to any VCA.

(This meaning that this Coins Across uses the powerful *** ahead principle.)
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
Many of the coins across effects mentioned in this thread require a table. Of the routines mentioned, (or others not mentioned), what do you think are the top 2 coins across routines that best lend itself to strolling with no table?
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Chris Kenner has a nice one called OOSP Coins Across (Only One S------ P---) in his book Totally Out of Control. Just so you know.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
All the coins across routines I perform are performed standing without a table. They consist of:

1. "4 Coins, Your Hands": From Coinvanish Volume 2, this routine has the coins apparently travel from your spectator's right hand to her left hand one at a time. For that matter, both "Three Way Crossing" and "Coinvention Crossing" in that same book are coins across in your own hands (no table, not placing coins down).

2. Bob Kohler's Ultimate 3 Fly (Fingertip Coins Across).

3. Roth's "Shell Coins Across" which typically needs a table to lay down coins, I just borrow a spectator's hand for the table. (BTW - Many tabled routines can be reconfigured to use the spectator's hand instead of the table).

4. Paul Cummins' "Underhanded Coins Across" from his DVD "Up In Smoke" is my favorite ungimmicked four coins across standing with a spectator.
Click to visit:
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have a killer copper silver transpo in the hands with several phases
to me this is my favorite
tooting my own horn LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
4 coins and a Filipino hands down (no pun intended). I've changed it to suit my style and the way I end it but It's my bread and butter. If I could only do one effect it would be my coins across.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hey Charlie I am with you doing ones own work should be the best ..

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
gngorick
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of gngorick
Depending on the situation I will choose to perform either Mr. Clean Coins Across, Tenkai Pennies, or the Mexican Jumping Coins. All three can be found on Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic DVD.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
For impromptu performance, I also go with the tenkai pennies trick, though using quarters, deep backclip and usually the Roth Deep Palm Tenkai Pennies move.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
[quote]On 2005-05-07 17:14, gngorick wrote:
Depending on the situation I will choose to perform either Mr. Clean Coins Across, Tenkai Pennies, or the Mexican Jumping Coins. All three can be found on Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic DVD.

Where is Mr. Clean's coins across found? I have seen that effect mentioned several times here at the Café. Is a table required, or is it all in the hands?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Coins Across...hmmm, where should I begin...?

That was probably one of my first coin tricks. I learned it with quarters, then 1/2 dollars, and now Ike dollars. Coins Through The Table was next, and that one used almost the same sleights. That is until I discovered the [...

The Coins Across I do now is standup (no table), and is the ususal 1 -4, with no gaffs. I DO however have a problem with the 2nd to the last coin. My click-pass is AWFUL...always has been. Mind you, I get by...but I am my own worst critic.

My method for Coin Across is the usual 4 coins shown in left hand, transfer to right, CP'ing the first coin...the 2nd coin is a method that I have NO idea of its origins, as I learned it early on from a fellow magi, and is hard to describe...the third uses the click pass, although now I'm practicing Mike Rubinstein's version (see Knockout Coin Magic series by him)...far superior to my former method...then, the last coin uses my best retention vanish.

Ya know, guys, it would be WONDERFUL to have you guys all in the same room and be able to see your versions of Coins Across...also love to see your versions of Click-Pass...there are so many...

Great thread guys! Smile

Doug
gngorick
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of gngorick
Quote:
Where is Mr. Clean's coins across found? I have seen that effect mentioned several times here at the Café. Is a table required, or is it all in the hands?

It can be found on Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic DVD (near the bottom of the second menu). The entire routine happens in the hands.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
I usually do a standard 4 coin across which uses standard sleights like classic palm and HPC. I'm not sure what's it's name but I guess it is the most stardard one. The good thing is that you are really using 4 coins, but the bad thing is you need a table or some surface to do the HPC.

When you are using 4 coins only, very likely you'll run into the problem of making the last coin across. The usual ending way is to let the spec. holding 3 traveled coins in a CLOSED fist, and the last coin magically joins the 3 coins. The thing is you actually can't see the last coin appear in the original place.

Another coin across I use is Apollo's Trapeze Trio. It doesn't use the Goshman Pinch and creates an illusion that the coins flick and jumps.

The best kind of coin across as I see is 3-fly type. It's also known as "finger-tip coin across" so throughout the routine you see the coins all the time and there is no closing of the magician fists.

For Jay's Mr. Clean, I believe you can also find in his Sanky-tized II.
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-05-09 09:30, info2victor wrote: ... you need a table or some surface to do the HPC. ...

As of the Jennings routine. which got around in 75, it became common practice to involve a volunteer and use the HPC onto or into their hands.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
Does anyone use the Gallow pitch in a coins across routine? (I think that is what it is called) Same idea as HPC but you toss the coin(s)diagnally. I believe I learned in at Tannens magic camp back in 1984 from Johnny Ace Palmer, and I have employed it for at least 1 coin in a coins across routine on a table, and sometimes 2 over the years since then. It has been extremely deceptive for spectators and is more natural than HPC in my opinion. That is, as natural as you can get when you need to toss coins onto a surface for an effect. I have no clue where the move is published.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
The Gallo Pitch is a very deceptive move of Lou Gallo, first published in Richard's Almanac and Encore 3. Lou Gallo also had a book out with applications of the move. It allows you to do a Han Ping Chien standing up in a more relaxed position. His son Mike who posts here, is a pretty darn good performer in his own right, and does some cool Pitch stuff as well. He will be teaching at the New York Coin Magic Seminar in July outside of Philadelphia, check out the thread elsewhere on this site.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Coins Across is a great effect. I developed a routine back in the mid 60's that involves the toss, using both hands above the table or pad. In my formal routine I use English Pennies and Half Dollars, but as an impromtu bit, quarters, usually borrowed. The bit is quick and stunning and your left totally clean. The fun part about this handling is that people are expecting you to do some palming, when they can't catch you, it leaves them shaking their heads. If you do it in both directions, it really screws with their heads!
Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Does anyone use the Gallow pitch in a coins across routine?

I do!

Mike
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
Paul Cummins uses this in a couple of his routine. I don't recall if he uses it in his coins across, but I suspect he does. Check out his "Up in Smoke" DVD
Cheers,
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins across (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL