We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Ricky Jay patter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I just got a copy of his 52 assistants. Saw it once before, but what in the world is he talking about during his queens performance? I hear him but wow, his patter is his misdirection in itself.
Is it just me or does anyone feel the same.
What say you?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3388 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
If you want to read it, "The Exclusive Coterie" from "Artifice, Ruse and Subterfuge at the Card Table" (The Expert at the Card Table) by Erdnase.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
HUH that wholw patter is there? Is that what your saying?
Also I just read my own post and want to add that I do not mean his patter is bad I find it incredibly great I just think to my self the practice he must do to remember such a hard patter. Unless of course he just changes it and says what ever comes to mind.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
The Exclusive Coterie

"Ladies and gentleman, I shall endeavor to illustrate, with the aid of this ordinary deck of cards, how futile are the efforts of plebeians to break into that select circle of society known as the Beau-monde, and especially how such entree is prevented by the polite but frigid exclusiveness of its gentler members."

(From S.W. Erdnase's classic The Expert at the Card Table)

------

A Few Vocabulary Words

coterie - a small, often select group of persons who associate with one another frequently

plebeian - a coarse member of the common class of people

beau-monde - the world of fashionable society

-------

In other words, when the Queens are separated and mixed with the common people, they find this situation to be so vulgar that they are able to find a way to congregate together again to escape this terrible fate.

Ricky's turn-of-the-century patter, lifted from Erdnase, delivered tongue-in-cheek and combined with a more modern methodology for this effect creates a unique work of art.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3388 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The whole effect starts on Page 172. Ricky's was an adaptation of the same effect. Erdnase is using this effect as a demonstration of the value of patter.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I'm guessing you mean that it sounds like double-speak, or fast talk, or carny, or some other less-than-normal speech pattern. Well, it IS an older version of our anglo-saxon base language, that's true. An lot of the words are not in common use these days, but they should be recognizable, at least. If you listen carefully you should be able to follow the tongue-in-cheek meaning of the flowery patter he's using. And, as noted above, if you are having trouble following it on the tape you can always read it (more or less, since he doesn't do it verbatim from Erdnase, but close enough for most of us....).

It's great fun when Ricky Jay does it, but not so much when others try. I've seen copyists, and they just can't deliver the lines right. The material doesn't suit them. It takes a lot of work, and you have to love it to start with, not love it because you saw someone else do it. Ricky found something, actually a lot of things, that suit him, and he rehearsed them to perfection. Do the same thing and your show may approach the professional level his reaches. Or not. But at least it will be yours...

Best, PSC

P.S. I am using the collective "you" in the above, not assuming anyone wants to copy Ricky Jay. Just clarifying before anyone takes offense...
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
LOL to be honest I don't know how I meant it when I first saw this I was about 17 or so so I didn't really understand nor pay attention to it. I am 26 today and it really catches my attention I did not know that it was in text in At the card table. So in the book is it there as the suggested patter to do with the effect or should I just get the book to truely understand it?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3388 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2005-03-26 16:27, Stanyon wrote:
The whole effect starts on Page 172. Ricky's was an adaptation of the same effect. Erdnase is using this effect as a demonstration of the value of patter.

Cheers! Smile

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

jtcavataio
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of jtcavataio
Where did you find a copy of 52 assistants? Is it for sale somewhere???
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1520 Posts

Profile of Markymark
This turns up on ebay from time to time.The script is great,SO THEATRICAL
Thank's Mr Chosse for a thoughtful post.I use a photo of my late father in my card
to wallet routine.He got me interested in magic so it means a lot to me.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
When Ricky segues into his discussion of center deals he quickly rattles off a number of sleights that could be used to counteract the effect of cutting the deck and return desired cards to the top (or bottom) of the deck. Some of the words he uses could be construed as gibberish.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I don't know why but ive been watching this DVD all day I think his patter during his Triumph is unreal as well as his handling.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you know the lines, Ricky has injected a slight tribute to Ken Brooke in his recitation.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
What does he say referring to Ken, Pete?
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Ricky Jay patter? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL