The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Base-Jump Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Ok, this has got to be bordering on the stupid and insane. DO NOT attempt this unless you are accomplished and understand the process of formulating an escape of this kind of level.

Basically goes like this:

a) Restrained in the restraints of your choice e.g. cuffs, chains, ropes

b) Have a parachute on your back

c) Get permission to do the escape (might be tricky)

d) Jump off a very tall building, escape and pull the rip-cord in time.

Once again I WILL NOT be held responsible for anyone who attempts such a feat. If you do, well, you are likely to die.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
That would be tricky due to the time factor in a base jump.

At best you would have time to do one maybe two pair of legit. handcuffs at best (I mean safest). Depending on how certain you are of your ability to escape.

Gimmicked cuffs might be another story.

You would have to take into account any added weight from the cuffs in determing how much time you truly had before you were in any danger.

Also kiss the cuffs goodbye, there is a great chance of losing them.

I have seen this as a areoplane jump, both legit. as a witness and actually being there.

And in gimmicked form on TV.

Boy you were right this was one heck of an idea. Smile

Keep them coming I like your angle.

Come to think of it I have toyed with two versions of a chain "straitjacket" that are for the most part easy to escape from but again the added weight may not work, unless you used plastic garden chain, which overall would look pretty useless.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Time is very limited, maybe two or three seconds at the most. If you used un-gimmicked cuffs it would probably be wise to free at least one hand before you actually went over the edge. You can always fully remove the restraints once the chute has deployed. As long as you don't have close up shots on cameras then the deception should be do-able.

I did think a cord attaching the cuffs to the body would be a good idea but then I had visions of being wacked in between the legs by swinging cuffs or getting snagged on things that shouldn't get snagged.

The weight of restraints shouldn't make any difference to the rate of fall. However the amount of air resistance you can generate is very limited with your arms held in. I wouldn't fancy dropping like a stone feet first.

I am not sure if this escape would be feasible without a certain amount of trickery and deception.

The power of it would rely heavily on build up as the escape is very quick.

This would take a substancial amount of planning but would be a stunning publicity stunt and would forever look impressive on your escape resume. Then again there is the danger that every other escape you do will look a bit tame - and people will wonder why it takes you so long to escape in your regular show.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Actually, there's not all that much danger if you jump out of the ground-floor window of a very tall building.
I think what you are referring to, though, is the TOP of a very tall building.
Smile
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Peter,

Yes that would be a real scam, anouncing for weeks that you will be jumping from a tall building in cuffs and chains and a parachute. Build up the biggest media hype you can, then jumping out the ground floor window. There would be a large number of unimpressed faces as you wiggle free on the pavement.

There is always the 'Magic' rather than pure escapology version of this, (I'll leave this for the illusion builders out there that have the resources and skill to pull this off)

Pretend your aim is to escape. Be seen to drop off the building. Body drops to the ground, slams to the pavement.. shock, horror, etc. people faint and are sick. Found to be a dummy body. Illusionist waves from the top of the building that is across the street smiling.

Of course being placed in a crate prior to this would make things easier, however, it wouldn't look so impressive.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Permission for this kind of trick would be a big problem. Base jumping, as far as I know, is illegal in _many_ places.

ML
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
And so is hanging off a building in a straightjacket generally Smile

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
Enigma3613
View Profile
New user
California
61 Posts

Profile of Enigma3613
What about being suspended really high up from a crane with a parachute on? You light the ropes on fire and have to escape in time to pull the ripcord before you go splat. I could see doing this over a tall building or, better yet, hanging over a cliff. Just an idea.
- Robert Doidge
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I don't think there is a crane high enough to accomplish that stunt safely, Enigma Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Enigma3613
View Profile
New user
California
61 Posts

Profile of Enigma3613
I've seen some tall buildings with cranes built on the roofs, maybe one of those buildings? I'm guessing that if you planned it right, you could escape before the rope burned through and then just pull the ripcord as you fell. The biggest danger is that of a base jumper, hitting the wall on the way down or not having enough falling distance.
- Robert Doidge
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
With a crane on top of the roof it would work better.

I was going to mention that but I had a one year old hitting the keys as I was trying to type.

On a similar note, NEVER do the burning rope unless you have a steel support cable down the middle of one of the rope attached to your apparatus.
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
You *could* do it suspended and release your safety cable when ready... eject the parachute, (which incidentally, (should you be doing this kind of thing) you should have a custom made parachute with your name printed on the silk - you might as well exploit the publicity to the full).

Suspended, the escape is somewhat safer but I do think it takes away from the spontaneity and quickness of the escape and perceived danger.

Thanks for mentioning that a steel core is used Shawn. Hope you don't get flamed for
'exposure' as although I am aware of this and so are most other escapologist - you might just have saved a life. Burning ropes can be unpredictable. Oh, one additional thing regarding use of a burning rope, make sure that the rope has no plastic content.

Remember anyone, when planning an escape - if you can't do it safely then don't do it at all. The first thing in your mind should be "In what way can I do this safer".

Some of the stories in the other forums about beginners jumping into swimming pools cuffed and having to be dragged out make me cringe... They show a complete lack of planning. I have done a couple of pool demonstrations for friends in the past. I was extremely well practiced with the cuffs I used. Well one time I had a problem but didn't need someone to drag me out (although this person was on standby just in case). I obtained my safety key, released myself and nobody was any the wiser. Same goes for the people who were tied and thrown into water. If you had planned, you would have practiced in the shallow end and would have discovered your rope would shrink...

Safety... Safety... Safety... I'll say it one more time... Safety! And remember you can impress people almost just as much with much safer straight forward escapes such as rope ties and straight jackets.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
If I can "tip" just one of the children lurking on this board that there is more than what it appears to be in this type of escape then it has made all the difference.

I have heard so many stories of youth dying by trying to imitate an escape artist that it makes me sick.

I have one thought from the second I take the stage until the second that I step off. That thought is making my kids breakfast the next morning. Not surprising my audience, not fooling them, not even getting paid. It is going home to see my family.

SAFTEY is higher than number 1, on my priority sheet. You don't have to defy death to do death defying escapes.

I want everyone out there to know that. One can never be too safe. If I have to let a secret slip to help save a life then I will live with the consequences of being an
"unmasked magician," rather than with the consequnce of knowing someone died to be like me.

Kris, I like your idea of using a "dummy" body but I think the shock may be too much for some.
DA
View Profile
New user
New jersey
48 Posts

Profile of DA
As far as gimmicked cuffs go, I have a chain strait jacket that I can get out of in a second or less.

Basically you split a pair of bridge jumpers in half and attach two 3 or 4 foot chains to each and have them chained behind your back that way you just snap your wrists out and pull the cord.

I Tested it and I jumped in the air and hit the ground with the cuffs off.
DA

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Base-Jump Escape (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL