The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to build up a image that you are magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ar_B
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
40 Posts

Profile of Ar_B
When you perform in front the spectators, how do you build up your image of magician?
Sometime, when I perform some card tricks with others, they don't think I'm a magician, they only think I'm just a guy know how to play some card tricks.
Did you feel that before??
In fact, what are the problem of me? Is that I can't give them a amazing feeling?
All done by Presentation, Misdirection and Sleight~
We should concentrate on the effect.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Some Cardicians here are just going to hate me for this, but, it's very hard for someone to take you seriously as a magician with just card tricks. Part of the problem is that just about everyone knows a card trick or two and even if your's are astounding, they are just better than their own. Now if you do a wonderful cups and balls routine then THAT'S something that they don't know how to do! It will blow them away.

My advice is to range out from card tricks.
Ar_B
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
40 Posts

Profile of Ar_B
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 07:09, rikbrooks wrote:
Some Cardicians here are just going to hate me for this, but, it's very hard for someone to take you seriously as a magician with just card tricks. Part of the problem is that just about everyone knows a card trick or two and even if your's are astounding, they are just better than their own. Now if you do a wonderful cups and balls routine then THAT'S something that they don't know how to do! It will blow them away.

yes,thank you

But not only card tricks, for other magic performance, I feel that also.
In fact, there was no awareness of the emotive potential of magic waiting of happen. NO welcoming of the spectator into something special. They won't really feel amazing, but they would like to think how does it work only...
Is that a problem?
I want to know that how could I make the spectators really think it's magic and feel amazing. Let's say in other way, how could I perform magic step by step, good opener make them interested in my performance, and then they would like to see more of my performace, and I do a good climax that really let them feel amazing.

My English is not really good, I hope you will know what do I mean. Smile
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I would think ranging out from card tricks into some mentalism stuff would help. The simple use of a thumb tip or silks may work. But I don't know myself. I have this problem as well.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I believe that you are talking about routining and that depends on what sort of magic you are trying to perform. Forgive me but it doesn't sound like you are trying to perform stage magic. It sounds more like street magic. That you are trying to perform for strangers. If this is the case then there are several ways, but the main thing is, I believe, yourself.

If you do not view yourself as magical then neither will the spectators. If you see yourself as magical then you can have people gasping at an invisible deck.

It all starts with you. That's why I specialize in effects that aren't mainstream. I do the linking rings, several different sizes depending on my audience. I also perform cups and balls, chop cup, Dancing Cane, Zombie, and some ITR stuff. None of that is 'typical'. All of it, other than the ITR is classical magic, the kind that you would expect a magician to do.

Do what magician's do and you will feel like a magician. Act like a magician and you will be viewed as a magician. Convince yourself and you will convince others.

I started with cups and balls because Houdine said that any man that can't perform an adequate cups and balls can't call himself a magician. I took that to also mean that any man that could adequately perform cups and balls, can call himself a magician.

I remember the day that I 'became' a magician. My mentor, the late Fred Donaldson, was selling and teaching me one trick after another. He would sell me one and I'd practice it until he said that I had mastered it. Then he would sell me another.

I was performing for some people at work and I did Lite Flite. The people laughed and applauded. I rushed back to Fred to tell him. "That's it," he told me. "You just graduated. You got spontaneous laughter and spplause. You are a magician. You're a really BAD magician, but you have the rest of your life to become better."

From that moment on I was, and am, a magician.
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
Ar-b
It sounds like you may just starting in magic and that at times can be hard . But
on the other hand it can be fun and exciting . When I do magic for anyone it is to make them smile and have a good time . If you will think of magic as part of the whole picture you will get to the point you will feel like a magican . There is so much more to magic than the trick itself ,there is showship,misdirection,
and developing the magic chacacter that is you. Do you have Tarbell course in Magic ,when I started it help me a great deal.Remember to think of the trick as just one part,and try as you go along to develop the rest. And remember to have fun and make people smile that what is all about.
Alson
liam-j-gilbert
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
121 Posts

Profile of liam-j-gilbert
Hi there Ar_B.

I understand your dilema and can relate to it very well from my earlier performances. I eliminated the problem using a two pronged attack.

Obviously your general image is vital - if you appear smartly dressed and professional you are likely to gain more attention and respect from your audience.

Also try to develop a definate structure to your routine - and the most important part of this structure when trying to establish yourself as a magician is your opener.

I personally use something quick, dynamic and attention grabbing - flash paper is ideal.

Another option, depending on your style, is to state it outright:

"Good evening Ladies and Gentleman, my name is ___________________ and I shall be your magician for the evening, please sir, reach into this deck of cards... etc etc."

hope this helps

Liam
www.liamgilbert.co.uk -- for info, booking or queries on Liam Gilbert
Ar_B
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
40 Posts

Profile of Ar_B
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 12:55, rikbrooks wrote:
I believe that you are talking about routining and that depends on what sort of magic you are trying to perform. Forgive me but it doesn't sound like you are trying to perform stage magic. It sounds more like street magic. That you are trying to perform for strangers. If this is the case then there are several ways, but the main thing is, I believe, yourself.

Yes, I'm trying to perform in front of the strangers. I try to do some street magic recently too, but it's quite difficult for me. I'm not nervos about that. As I perform in front my friends, I would do it well. Maybe I'm friendly with them, so I can do it easy.
As my mentor said, my sleights can't cover my tricks. I have good sleights, but it's not balance. I can't make them give a "Wow". Maybe I need to perform more in front the strangers... then I could learn more from these.
I think I should concentrate more on the presentation as well.
Phaedrus
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico City
212 Posts

Profile of Phaedrus
Ar_B:

I think you're on the right track as far as wanting to take your magic to the next level goes. As a previous poster mentioned, it's hard to be taken seriously as a magician if you're just a guy who knows card tricks. However, I don't think that that is true of just cards. To me, what really sets a serious magician apart from someone who is just a hobbyist is that the serious magician has an act. By an act, I mean that the person can perform for a set period of time, with smooth transitions between effects and an entertaining presentation for each trick. I think somebody who has developed an act with five tricks is going to be taken more seriously than somebody who knows a hundred tricks, but can't really string them together into any kind of meaningful performance.

I think it would be helpful for you to think of a set number of tricks, focusing on how you would begin and how you would end. What tricks would fit into your set, and how would you segue from one to the other? If you can perform an entire set smoothly, and make each effect entertaining, I guarantee you that people will consider you to be a magician.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I have found recently that simple coin vanishes can be very powerful. And also effects with credit cards....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I noticed that you are from Hong Kong. It's been a few years since I've visited there, but my memories are of extreme congestion (in comparison to North America at least). There is a constant hustle and bustle there that may not easily allow for street performing. You may want to try performing in an environment that is a little more relaxed, that will allow spectators to be able to take the time and enjoy the magic.

Instead of performing for locals on the street, you may want to go to where the tourists can be found. Tourist destinations will often be outside of the City and be less crowded. Tourists will also tend to have a more relaxed mindset, and they may be more inclined to tip you.

Other than that, the only additional advice I can give you is to explore books on showmanship. It sounds like your sleights may be O.K., but your presentation skills may be lacking. Check out "Stronger Magic" by Darwin Ortiz, "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms, or "Maximum Impact" by Ken Weber.

If you combine the theoretical teachings in these books with additional performing experience, you will be able to take your magic to the next level. No longer will you just be some guy doing card tricks. You will be an entertainer performing magic.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Lynn Lee
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Lynn Lee
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 07:09, rikbrooks wrote:

I'm rather curious about this idea, actually--I was reading through the old Chef's Specials forums, particularly when Darwin Ortiz was the guest of honor. I was interested to read that Mr. Ortiz was 100% a card guy because of the 'image' it gave him, namely that of a cardshark, and that though more traditional sleight-of-hand card effects don't technically fit in with gambling demos, it still seemed totally in keeping with his character. I rather like that idea--though I enjoy a great cups and balls or good coin work, my heart is with cards just because of how much you can do with them.

Though I will definitely admit it bugs me a bit from time to time that I am known as the guy that does card tricks instead of the card magician, there're so many more angles from which you can approach card magic. I've been really looking into getting into card mentalism, PK work, etc. stuff that's somewhat off the beaten path of card magic which might be enough to make them think of card magic in a slightly higher regard...
Jluvlace
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jluvlace
Really to give that true magic edge to your effects, it all depends on the trick. Card tricks are OK, but they don't give you that sense of true magic. I've found that the Raven works really well for this bcause the spectator can feel the coin vanish. Any effect that gets the spectators involved will get rid of that craving to find the secret.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
When you do a nice fan, or a coin roll, people automatically realize that "your for real." I was just talking to Whit Haydn a day ago, and he said some very interesting things (i hope I remember correctly)...

He said that you should walk in (from behind the curtain...) and look the crowd over, scanning them, making mental notes about different people.

Example: oh, that guy is gonna give me some trouble. She look's good. What an ugly shirt. ...

The mental notes can be totally bogus, but those mental notes are going to play out a little in your facial expression.

Whit discussed a play (i forget who it was...) but a man was playing a king. He walked to feast in this sort of manner like "These guys better be wearing the right close, there shoes must be shined, must be tied, their tie must be perfect..." this was a very commanding look.

If you act this way, and don't act like you're too good for them, and you don't act like a jerk-- I think it will work.

...I hope I didn't totally misunderstand him...
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
My advice would be not to worry about if they see you as a magician as much as them seeing you as entertaining. I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing others say, "It's all about entertainment and not about magic." Well, everyone is saying that because it's the truth.

Let me share a possible situation to help explain.

Imagine you're out with some friends in a public place. It could be anyplace people go to hang out. You're sitting there and someone near or at your table dose something very funny or unique. It doesn't have to be anything to do with magic. Just something that made you laugh or think , "Man, that was cool."
From that moment on you have some kind of interest in that person. You'll want to watch to see what they do next. What they do next isn't as important as how they present themselves once they are established. They could start juggling. Tell funny stories, do magic tricks or just act silly in an appealing way.

So to establish yourself as a magicians should come in second after you've established yourself as likable or interesting. They have to enjoy your company before they can enjoy what you do.

So give them some kind of eye candy. IT could be a joke, a stunt, a trick that catches there attention. Just about anything. once you've done this you can pull out your props and do your thing. If you can keep them with you. Or better yet keep them wanting to be with you. Then you'll establish yourself in there mind as a good entertainer who's doing magic.

I hope that helps.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
I don't know if I am the right person to advice but I have tried some card tricks that seems impossible..not just something where you find the spectators card..something like you change their card..ambitious card..try Michael Ammars videos they are great!i let my spectators to be more involved in the act..this will impress them more than they just see what you do! I think!
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Just like rikbrooks pointed out. Card tricks aren't a good things to start out with. Even thought we know the difference, people think all card tricks are the same.

Have you ever pulled the deck of cards out and before you do anything with them someone says, "Oh, I know this one." Even thought they have no idea what you are about to do?

So even if you're a card magicians it's best to give them something else to see before you start doing card trick. In many peoples eyes a deck of cards equals a boring trick. So you need to show then that you aren't boring before you can pull out the deck of cards.

I just had a funny thought that kind of illustrates the kind of mind frame they might get in when they see the deck of cards first thing. Imagine an audience of heavy metal fans at a concert. A guy walks on to the stage with an accordion. You don't know if the guy will be able to play heavy metal music with an accordion but I doubt the audience would give him a chance. They already have a perception of what an accordion is used for so it's hard to imagine it fitting into anything else. That kind of shows how my mind works huh.. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Ar_B
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
40 Posts

Profile of Ar_B
Quote:
On 2005-04-08 09:43, Jaxon wrote:
Just like rikbrooks pointed out. Card tricks aren't a good things to start out with. Even thought we know the difference, people think all card tricks are the same.

Have you ever pulled the deck of cards out and before you do anything with them someone says, "Oh, I know this one." Even thought they have no idea what you are about to do?

So even if you're a card magicians it's best to give them something else to see before you start doing card trick. In many peoples eyes a deck of cards equals a boring trick. So you need to show then that you aren't boring before you can pull out the deck of cards.

I just had a funny thought that kind of illustrates the kind of mind frame they might get in when they see the deck of cards first thing. Imagine an audience of heavy metal fans at a concert. A guy walks on to the stage with an accordion. You don't know if the guy will be able to play heavy metal music with an accordion but I doubt the audience would give him a chance. They already have a perception of what an accordion is used for so it's hard to imagine it fitting into anything else. That kind of shows how my mind works huh.. Smile

Ron Jaxon

yep. thx Jaxon
I find this problem too...
Most of the spectators think card tricks are boring...they think that you must ask them to choose a card and can find it out...
But if I really want to show the others some card tricks, what could I do?
I mean how to start when I perform some card tricks.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Perception of who you are- at least when performing- was a question I asked myself many many times.
What I did was leave and return to magic, as I had a hard time ansering that question.
I finally asked- Why am I doing this. Why is it something others will want to see. It came down to presentation, and how entertaining it was, or was not, to the person I was performing for. Even the puzzle solvers would go along as I worked for them, and wait until after all wqas done before they tried to figure things out.
I am now at the stage where when with friends, or tryign something new, I do one and only one effect. I try out my presentation on them. I see what works, what needs to be dropped, and how I need to react and behave to get them to be entertained. That in turn determines who and how I am as a mage/performer.
Sometimes I alater the presentation to suit the group, so I have more than one script.
NOTICE: I have not said trick or patter in any of this, because that changes the perception YOU have of what you are doing.
I tell tales- based on a script that keeps getting tweaks until I am satisfied that I get the result I want from the audience.
I do not do tricks, I do impossible things- (read Alice in Wonderland- one should see at least one impossible thing each day)
I experience the wonder of what happens along with the people I am performing/experimenting with.
Sometimes- they are REQUIRED to participate for those things to occur.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
The posts here have skipped one key element. Before you can convince your audience of anything regarding your character, you have to know what it is yourself.

If you want to be perceived as a magician, sit down and write out your definition of a magician as you see it, and as you wish to be seen. Get it clear in your own mind. For most people, the term "magician" is pretty vague, and can conjure up images of someone pulling rabbits out of a hat or someone with actual magic powers. Then determine how that character would approach an audience, how it would move or speak. Stating that you're a magician won't do you much good if your demeanor and speech patterns say "I'm some dude with a pack of cards."

Keeping the knowledge of your character in the back of your mind will help convince your audience as you perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to build up a image that you are magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL