The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why is mental material published so soon after invention? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Shrink, I apologise that you thouht I was referring to you my friend. I meant Johnathan Royle. Sorry for the confusion buddy.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Why publish your ideas so soon after invention?

To make money from those who know no better and gain yourself 15 mintutes of fame in cyberspace.

Socrates

'Rules and models destroy genius and art' William Hazlitt Smile
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Not always, Socrates. If, for instance, Kuffs wanted his "15 mintutes (SIC) of fame in cyberspace" he'd have included a link showing how to order *Mind Stunts*. (In English, yet.)

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-03-28 22:49, jimtron wrote:
Does anyone have any examples of ignored gems in books?

best,

Jim

The collective works of Robert Nelson, Burling "Votive" Hull, Stephan Minch, Jim Magus, and my favorite of all to place on such a list Orville Meyer.

The "trend" when it comes to books, is the fact that if they are over say, 10-years old, people (especially in magic) tend to ignore them.

When I was in my teens everyone into magic wanted three particular reference sets: the Tarbell Course, the Mark Wilson Course and Bill Tarr's series... these were the "new and improved" bibles of magic. Sure, we read Stine & Dey, Henry Hay and 95% of what Walter Gibson and Milborne Christopher produced. We were familiar with Scarnes, Houdini, Dunninger and even Tony Slydini but those were the old, harder to learn from resources -- they were out of date, so many of us ignored them. That is, until Bob Jardine introduced to the Rubber Band Trick (Magician's Handcuffs) in the early 80s... that kind of inspired a few to reconsider some of those older resources.

I've been very fortunate in my career to have a large number of old salts guiding me. It has been through their encouragement that I not only became familiar with the works of Eddie Joseph and his contemporaries, but I actually learned to enjoy doing the tricks no one else was doing at that time. Rather, I was doing material that was seen as being more unique, clever, and even original. IN truth, it was just older -- I hit it with a rag, so to speak, and placed a new slant to it, but it was still material from the 20s and 30s vs. the 60s and 70s or even the 80s.

No, I'm intentionally not up to par when it comes to some of the more current authors of the biz. I no longer strive to keep up with the near constant release of "MUst Have" materials no one could read in a year's time. I stick with the standards... they've never let me down!

In saying that I must point out one important thing... I do have DVDs and Video Tapes. Most of them are from friends of mine and a fair number of them seem to be of reasonable quality. The real problem we are facing today (as I said before) is the number of LIVING ROOM VIDEOS being released simply for the sake of name recognition/Ego and being part of the current trend. I've heard guys in the P.E.A. talk about "The quality stinks on the production value of the tape, but the information is the point..." believe me, if I pay $40.00 or more on a tape or DVD, the production quality had best be on par with what most classify as being a PROFESSIONAL PRODUCT... It simply does not cost that much to do a solid job in today's world, even if you're shooting the thing in your garage or living room.

Last spring an old friend of mine interviewed me using some "mid-ranged" digital recording equipment. The end result was awesome, some of the best recording quality I've ever encountered (and I've been in more than a few studios, including A&M Records.)In my mind, anyone worth their salt should be able to do some footwork and get their hands on the kind of equipment that will allow them to deliver the kind of product both they and their patrons would be proud of. A look at what comes out of L&L vs. certain other major producers of magic materials is proof to what I'm saying... I've never felt "taken" when buying from L&L...

Well, enough said...
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3010 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
If you want hollywood pictures rent a movie or go see the newest release out there.

Though I appreciate good productions in magic dvds (Kuffs, many L&L dvds) I much rather have good content. Otherwise, it's like going out with an annoying, empty girl, just because she's pretty.

If Osterlind, Ted Lesley, Banachek, etc.... decided to shoot a dvd in their kitchen table, or in their bathroom sink for that matter, I would certainly want to watch it. You critical guys would be losing out on interesting information.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
That's an excellent point ALEXANDRE, I'be bought the odd very bad quality visually DVD whic have been made by or for pro's, some times the audience is not too hot, the lighting is bad or the picture is not exactly colourful, but the information contained is priceless, it often makes me wonder if these performers have it shot and produced in bad quality on purpose just so those non serious performers will turn off.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
As far as gems from old books goes: Annemann's Psychic Writing from Annemann's Bargin Effects is one of my absolute favorites.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
enigmax
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
115 Posts

Profile of enigmax
Wouldn't one of the motives for a performer publishing material be to link his (rarely her) name with the material and stake a claim to creating it?
"To be on the wire is life, the rest is waiting"
Karl Wallenda
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Shrink
I knew the remark wasn't addressed to you
Most of the people here knew whom he meant
You have given away VOLUMES of ideas in your over 2200 posts
Even this post is a mini article i.e relevant, sensible and interesting with clear insight
Your IA is a brilliant tool
There is nothing wrong with making money for your work
The more, the better LOL
Keep up the excellent work
Cheers
TJ
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2038 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2005-07-21 16:39, enigmax wrote:
Wouldn't one of the motives for a performer publishing material be to link his (rarely her) name with the material and stake a claim to creating it?

That seems likely to me.
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
One reason why someone would want to release something quickly is because they don't want to run the risk of someone thinking of the same idea and beating them to the chase. This way they would not rescieve any credit for the effect they thought of but never published. I realise this is unlikely but it may be a motive.

just my two cents
Find out what you cannot do.., Then go and do it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why is mental material published so soon after invention? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL