The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Learning Nikola (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Grimm
I've decided to learnt the Nikola Card System and wanted to get some opinions. First of all being, how effective is this card system? I realize it's pointless to ask how to study it, everyone learns different, but any suggestions as to things you found helpful would be appreciated also.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
732 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Sorry, can't really comment on the Nikola Card System, I learned the Aronson stack (which contains some of the features of the Nikola stack, such as the perfect bridge hand) from "Bound to Please" using the mnemonic based system described.
Note: the mnemonic keys from bound to please can be used to memorize any stack, you would just create different associations between the cards and stack #'s.
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
376 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Go with Mnemonica. It's got built in features and you can shuffle into it. No it doesn't come pre-packaged mnemonic keys like Aronson or Nikola... But once you've got it memorized you don't need those crutches anymore. And according to Scott0819 you can use the 'keys' from bound to please on any stack... I memorized the Mnemonica and am very pleased with it.
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
732 Posts

Profile of scott0819
True, after 3 or 4 weeks of using the stack the mnemonic keys just fall away from your memory. They're just a tool to help commit the stack to memory.
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Hello,
There are a few famous memorized deck(stack) around us. Why have you decided to learn the Nikola stack? Any particular reason?
Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Grimm
Honestly I just decided that I wanted to learn it. I know it has quite a few different uses and is not particularly easy to detect. Other than that I don't have too much of a reason. It's just another tool I'd like to have at my disposal.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
While the Nikola stack is not a bad stack, but there have been many advancements in the world of stacks. I think if you are going to bother learning a new stack then you should go with something that could help you more in the long run then choosing a stack that will limit what you can do. There just aren't as many applications and built in features to make the Nikola stack worth learning concidering the stacks such as Mnemonica or Aronson. While Osterlind's stack is good, Si Stebbins is very simple and just as useful. I use the Tamariz memorized deck and it was worth the 2 weeks it took to memorize. I use this stack often. But, if you don't feel that you are as interested in stacks to memorize one, then I would suggest going with the Si Stebbins system.
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
326 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
I too have been working on Juan Tamariz's Mnemonica stack. It's taking me just about two weeks of practice to get the entire 52 stack memorized, but Juan is right. Once you do it, it's almost impossible to forget!

I admittingly know nothing about the other stacks mentioned, but I chose Mnemonica for a few reasons:

1) It sounded feminine, and I'm a big fan of women
2) You could start with a fresh, new deck, and shuffle into the stack order. Likewise, because of this principle, you could also shuffle the deck and end up back in brand new deck order (killer ending)!
3) There was a variety of effects you could do with it, not just gambling routines.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Learning Nikola (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL