The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Barry Mitchell's King Midas is alive again! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
There has been occasional discussion about Barry Mitchells' King Midas reading book. He had discontinued it a few years ago. The good news is that he is making about 100 more and they will be available at the...well read this:

Here's what Barry says:

[Barry Mitchell quote]
READING IS MAGIC IS COMING BACK  Briefly
A few years ago we retired the Reading is Magic (King Midas) product.  HOWEVER, so many magicians have begged me to produce just one more for them that I'm tired of telling people what a pain they are to make.  I'm tired of disappointing so many magicians who have seen the routine on one of my DVDs and feel it would be perfect for their school or library show.  I must admit it still is one of the best routines I feel I've ever created.

THEREFORE, I'm going to make 100 MORE and that's all.  They will be called Reading is Magic GOLD EDITION.  They will be a little nicer than the original with a nice leather cover and more special parts inside. The routine is exactly the same, just a little nicer stuff.  The price is $200 each and they will be made available at Mark Daniels' KIDABRA Convention in August. If you're interested please email me so I can put your name on the list and have one waiting for you at Kidabra.

[/Barry Mitchell quote]

John Cesta

PS: Even though I spent a few weeks of my life making one (I am NOT a good craftsmen) I will be purchasing one of these. This is a very FUN effect!
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
I had the normal edition, and it was a very great effect. The idea is you have many items appear from inside the book, and the story of King Midas is played which has a good message as Mitchell seems to like to always do. You can find my review with the search engine. And I believe it was around the same price if I recall, so if this one is better quality than I'd give this one a look.

Just my 2 cents..
Mack Magic
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
When you say that "...the story of King Midas is played..." do you mean that the effect is on tape or cd and you just follow along with the actions similar to the vanishing bandana kind of thing?

thanks for your help with this.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 00:36, The Great Smartini wrote:
When you say that "...the story of King Midas is played..." do you mean that the effect is on tape or cd and you just follow along with the actions similar to the vanishing bandana kind of thing?

thanks for your help with this.

Yes, the story is narrated on a CD. You follow along by opening a book and start removing items such as large gold nuggets, a banana, a flower, spring bills, coins etc from the book. A few times the king speaks (that's you) and you simply lip sync (ala Mille Vanille).

It's pretty funny and entertaining.

John
Frostgale
View Profile
New user
Greece
73 Posts

Profile of Frostgale
Can it be used as a close up effect?
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Closeup? I guess it really is for schools and libraries, church type shows I think.

By the way the narrator who plays the King is Terry Evanswood. You might have seen him on the cover of MAGIC a few months back.

I love mine. Hate to see Barry put it back out. I don't want anyone to have it.LOL

Ken
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I thought I would bring this back from the past instead of starting a new topic. This product is obviously not on the market anymore (or I would buy one). Taking from what John said I would assume the construction of the book is explained somewhere. If this is a correct assumption could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
It's just a fake book with no pages.

This effect isn't really a trick per se, it's a story told with props that just happen to come out of a book.

There's a bit with a heart and the paddle move at the end, otherwise there's no "magic" in it.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
The book is not a magical effect. The props coming out of the book is not magical. You can find this kind of cored out book at Michaels--and it's a REALLY nice one. They have different sizes too.

As for the routine, it's all about the story and acting and playing along as the CD narrates.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
And for the younger set, it's a very good "effect".

Steve
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I am aware that the book is just a empty book. I have seen the effect and since its no longer on the market I would of course have to create everything from scratch including the soundtrack to have something similar. I would buy it if it was still on the market.
I guess the real question is about how everything is placed inside. I would assume there is compartments. Not seeing one of the books I would of course have to figure out that for myself unless it is described somewhere. I have a few of Barry’s products and I am looking to get more. Does he talk about the effect in one of the books?
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Barry may sell the audio track by itself, too.

Steve
MikeShaw247
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Virginia
16 Posts

Profile of MikeShaw247
Hello all - I just bought this book in brand new condition - never used. (From a magician who never used it) The problem is that it has a VHS cassette, and no CD soundtrack. The CD is the heart of the presentation, as I understand. Can someone in this thread please send me the MP3 file of this narration? I would be grateful. Thanks!
MikeShaw247
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Virginia
16 Posts

Profile of MikeShaw247
Hey Ryan Price and all - Here are some photos of the book in brand new state. I just bought it from a magician who never used it.
MikeShaw247
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Virginia
16 Posts

Profile of MikeShaw247
More photos
MikeShaw247
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Virginia
16 Posts

Profile of MikeShaw247
Okay - here are photos. They were too big too upload before.
MikeShaw247
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Virginia
16 Posts

Profile of MikeShaw247
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Barry Mitchell's King Midas is alive again! (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL