We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Secrets of Brother John Hammon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2005-07-05 06:17, Rcitgo wrote:
....I think he was a genius.

uh huh.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
To those who are not fans of the book; could you go into more detail "why" you didn't like it? I rate it among my top books and I know many others do as well. I am just curious in the dissenting position.
cheers,
Jason
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I think the reason some folks don't care for the material is that it's not as easy as the rest of the stuff that's out there. True, the counts etc. aren't difficult, but the routining is more involved. Some of the better routines are longer and have a storyline (such as Two-Shuffles Harry) which makes them harder to perform effectively. You need to make the story your own or the audience will know it's all bunk.

For those of you who don't care for the material - have you ever tried it out on an audience? Some of your best material can be the stuff you thought was a joke!

Best
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
I disagree - I think it's a great book with some truly clever magic.
My faves include:
- The Signed Card (this is a classic that fries everyone)
- The Twins (another classic)
- Go Fish (locate three selections with a great surprise climax)
- Eight Ball Queens (a cool card monte variation)

One of my favorite books! Get it if you can!

Kevin
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Perhaps if the book was marketed with flashy techno beatz, guyz imprezing chickz in bikiniz, and the words x-treme (sic) in the title it would be more popular.
tjo'
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I will also say that it was maybe my best buy to date. I also have the video, and while Hamman would not win any David Blaine look a like contests, man, he could handle a small packet of cards. Even when he was old, he was smooth. Never fast or flashy, and he was fearless.
Chris
BillWheeler
View Profile
New user
Naperville, IL
80 Posts

Profile of BillWheeler
Having had the pleasure of meeting Bro Hamman before his death, I can only say that he was tremendously talented individual, whose creativity in card magic knew no bounds. Want proof? How about how he created his Final Four Ace routine while in an iron lung?

Easily one of my top 5 books.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1507 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
A fantastic book full of amazing material.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Does anyone know if Richard Kaufman is planning a reprint of the book anytime soon? There was a very disarming quote from him in this month's Genii where he says something about oversized magic books being the sort he 'USED TO PUBLISH'...
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I think this is one of the best card magic books ever published. Simply GREAT material, on a par with Elmsley, Vernon, Jennings and other all-time greats!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Edmund Dantes
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Edmund Dantes
Hi,

I just got an email from Kufman & Co. saying that my copy of the reprinting has been despatched! Woohoo! I've been trying to get a copy for years! I also ordered a reprint of the The Complete Works of Derek Dingle, which has also been despatched. Can't wait!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Secrets of Brother John Hammon? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL