The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What will you do if you drop the ring when perform linking ring in the stage?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ar_B
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
40 Posts

Profile of Ar_B
What will you do if you drop the ring when perform linking ring in the stage??
for example , drop the single ring.

Just pick it up or what will you do that you think it will be better?
All done by Presentation, Misdirection and Sleight~
We should concentrate on the effect.
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
When you say "the" ring, do you mean THE ring, or just a ring?

Either way, you need it in your hand to continue the performance. Here are my suggestions:

• Practice enough that you won't drop rings. Nervousness can cause drops and it can be alleviated by practice and experience.
  • If you do drop a ring, make sure you comment on it somehow. It shows your humanity to the audience...they'll like you more if you acknowledge the mistake and move on than if you pretend it didn't happen.
  • Forget about the drop. Move on and finish the performance.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Joe Berkley gives good advice. OTOH, I'm not convinced that the dropped ring requires comment. As a teacher, every time I drop something, break a piece of chalk, or whatever, I just move on without comment. Everybody knows what happened, and unless something VERY funny occurs to me, there really isn't any point in letting a simple drop get in the way of business.

Of course a ring is different from a piece of chalk, and I invite any comments on the similarities and differences in the two performing situations.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Run. Run like the wind! Hehehe, just kidding. Knowing me and my personality, if I dropped something, I would probably comment on it. Something along the lines of, "Whoops, good thing I didn't quit my day job or anything!" Then just continue on, hopefully with a few laughs to smooth things over.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
BrianCooper
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
55 Posts

Profile of BrianCooper
If your magical style has you showing off your great skill with tons of flourishes with your props, then dropping a ring could be percieved negatively. If, however your style has magic happening TO you, then you don't have to prove your great skill and if you drop a prop and recover nicely then it could actually enhance your effect. In either case don't sweat it, recover as best you can and move on.

Brian Cooper
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If it is just a single ring and not "the" ring, I simply make like it went through all the others that I was holding, or that it went through my hand. Say something like "that's the problem with these darn things, they go through everything", generally gets a laugh. I pick it up and continue. But, I would agree with above, practice so you don't drop rings. In my routine, I give the two single rings to an audience member to "do as I do" in joining the two rings. It of course drops and rolls then, and it gets a laugh. If I drop it after that, I can say "see, I can do the same trick they did" , gets another laugh. But I've probably only dropped the ring 3 times in 40 years. All from not paying attention to what I was doing.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
You could always try, "Hey I'm a magician not a juggler." or "Guess I'll have to give up my dream of being a professional juggler." Hmmm is there a theme here?
"I dropped it on purpose, I wanted to hear it ring." or "Geeze, hope I don't do that on my day job...I'm a brain surgeon (diamond cutter, in nuclear waste management, small arms smuggler, nitro glycerine sales, etc.) I'm going to go lie down now until this passes, while I'm gone, you can practice the linking rings a little more.
;) Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
If it is THE Ring, you can say: "***, it's broken...."

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
If I'm lucky, REALLY lucky, It will hit solid and bounce high enough to catch it. As soon as I felt it leave my hand I'd be looking for that. If not, I may be lucky enough to get my toe inside the ring before it lays flat. Then I can flip it back up into my hand.

If it winds up on the floor and I can't get at it I simply would pick it up with as much grace as possible, maybe adding a spin as I drop down to get it.

BTW, it hasn't happened to me yet, but it may some day, and when it does, please let it bounce solid
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-04-01 10:47, calexa wrote:
If it is THE Ring, you can say: "***, it's broken...."

Magixx

I read about something similar when Harry Anderson was performing on the streets. He would have his (unknown to the audience) assistant in the audience and he would toss the *** ring to her to examine. One time she threw it back and it landed on stage, revealing the gaff to all. He said something about her breaking it, and would she be so kind to go in the back and get him another ring. She went back, and returned with the exact same ring and this time he caught it and went back into the routine. I think this was written up in "Hello Sucker."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
It really is best not to say anything. Just pick it up and move on. However, if the drop (or whatever) absolutely ruins the presentation, it's best to end it right there and move on to something you CAN perform. Personally, I have never dropped a ring in performance. I have in practice while trying a mid air link. I quickly figured out I could have 100% success if I caught it with my thumb first and moved it through the *** ring as 2 separate motions instead of 1. The audience percieves it as 1 motion, but it really is 2. The first is the "thumb catch" and then second is the link with the *** ring. When rehersing, always find something that works EVERYTIME, otherwise your performances will suffer and your career will be severly limited. It will also give you confidence which the audience will pick up on whether you want them to or not. Accidents happen, things don't go right, the universe hiccups, just pretend it didn't happen...... AND STAY IN CHARACTER!!
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
THUMB CATCH! I never thought of that. I have about 95% with it as it is now. I'm getting off line right now and practicing!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Quote:
On 2005-04-01 23:57, muzicman wrote:
Accidents happen, things don't go right, the universe hiccups, just pretend it didn't happen...

I still can't agree with this part. Everyone saw you drop the ring. Pretending it didn't happen is unnatural. Even if you just shrug and smile as you grab the ring and continue, you're acknowledging the drop.

The audience needs to perceive your humanity to like you (paraphrasing Ken Weber from "Maximum Entertainment"). Acting like a mistake never happened seems to scoff at the fallibility of man.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
"Did you see that? It passed right through my hand!"
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
In addition to what other good advice that's already been shared here (I like your line blindbo. I use it when I accidentally drop cards or coins).

Here's a couple of other suggestions. If you do drop the key ring. Chances are they won't see the opening unless you are in close up. One possible thing you can do when you pick it up is to hold other rings in the same hand you use. So the other non-gimmicked rings can help cover the key ring. Like everyone else said though. Just pick it up and move on.

Now, if you happen to drop a single non-gimicked ring. A fun thing might be to get down in the floor as if you just had an idea. Spin the ring on the floor like a coin and link the key ring onto it while it's spinning. I'm not sure what this move is called but it's often done from a tabletop.

This reminds me of a guy I saw performing a silk routine and accidentally dropped the due tube on the floor. Wanna know what he did when this happened? He picked it up. Held it out so everyone got a good look at it and said, "Well, I guess you know how that's done now." This was the absolute worse thing he could have done. There are so many ways out of this situation such as just picking it up and putting it in his pocket. Or even pretending to put it in his pocket but secretly get it back into his hand in readiness to use it as planned. The audience had no idea what fell anyway. They just saw something drop.

Because this guy didn't have enough experience to know other tricks to do with those silks he didn't have many options to choose from. So with the rings I agree with what BerkleyJL said about just forgetting about it and move on. So, if you use 5 rings in your routine. Work out a back up routine or at least a couple of phases that only require 4 rings.

Just a few suggestions.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Try telling this..i don't know this will happen when I bought this from the magic shop.
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
Blackpool
View Profile
New user
Kingston, Ontario
31 Posts

Profile of Blackpool
Look! A monkey!
The Amazing Blackpool
Magician ~ Mental Illusionist ~ Hypnotist
Blackpool@KingstonMagic.com
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Jugglers employ a specific technique when they drop a ball that has been taught at Ringling Bros Clown College.

1) You look at the dropped object, acknowledging your mistake.

2 You look at the audience, acknowledging that you are aware that they saw your mistake.

3) Then, you say something to make the audience laugh...it's called a "drop line."

4) While the audience is laughing, you pick up the oject. The audience will forgive you for the mistake, and if the line is funny enough, they will think it was a deliberate part of your act.

The challenge is to come up with clever, original drop lines. Sure, you could use someone else's drop line..."Must have been a sudden gust of gravity"...but an original line always gets a better response.

You can literally build an act around your mistakes. Carl Ballantine and other greats in comedy magic did just that.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Blackpool
View Profile
New user
Kingston, Ontario
31 Posts

Profile of Blackpool
Quote:

You can literally build an act around your mistakes.

So there's still hope for me?

I used to bill myself as The World's Worst Magician. Then I got sued by someone even worse.

When I drop a cup in my C&B routine, I say, "I used to work with glass cups."
The Amazing Blackpool
Magician ~ Mental Illusionist ~ Hypnotist
Blackpool@KingstonMagic.com
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
"Ah, you can tell by the sound it makes when it hits the floor that it must be a solid real ring..."
I tend to say something like that whenever I drop anything...
Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What will you do if you drop the ring when perform linking ring in the stage?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL