The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield´s thru steel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
GD-Luxembourg
225 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear members,

The "Thru Steel" illusion has been created by André Kole. John Gaughan built it for David in 2002.

Regards,

D
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
The last time I saw DC prform was Dec.12th 2002... As I remember, four guys brought the sheet of steel in from the side of the stage. David useda lot of funny patter making reference to a smaller of the four men... even some joke about Brut cologne or something like that. It was a large piece of diamond plate steel. It is identical in size and performance to th one Tim Kole performed on Champions of Magic. His father Andre' ;as well as Steinmeyer, are both creaters of this piece... no suprise Tim and David both perform it... If Andre' hiccups, you can be sure.. Tim and DC will incorporate it into their shows somehow. I don't think Andre' has recieved the much deserved credit. Back to the subject... I don't remember DC using a crane at the show I was at... Iam sure it had something to do with the smaller performance space...
Bryan
Tercero
View Profile
New user
Spain
51 Posts

Profile of Tercero
I saw the illusion live in Las Vegas last year. It was great to see this new concept of presentarion in grand illusions!
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
SteelLuvMagic, I believe that is why he didn't fly in the steel was because of the space issue. Cause the venue that I was at he flew in the steel. But it wasn't diamond plated at all. It was just a raw sheet of steel. Interesting that he used something different at your place. Might be because it was lighter to move that instead of the steel that he flys.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I recall seing the diamond cut steel plat and as DC was placed under the steel sheet he was being "filmed live" on the backside of the prop by a video-guy with the view projected on a large screen overhead. They show DC rubbing on the plate and then they drop the sheet....his hand and arm press up into the sheet and go back down then the sheet is lifted and DC is shown again to be looking at the camera, smiling and rubbing the plate. The sheet is again dropped and he performs the complete penetration. I've seen him 3 times in the past 4 years and he has done this at every show.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
jrabenho
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of jrabenho
I had the opportunity to work on one show with David and the illusion was huge, it was extremely heavy, and almost unreasonable concidering the sheer size and weight of the illusion. But regardless of that, we continued to unload it from the truck, and the audience loved it.
bigmanofmagic
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
14 Posts

Profile of bigmanofmagic
My buddy was on the local tech crew when David came to Tulsa. He said the steel plate was a monster to move and transport, as was the platform/framework itself. It's steel as well of course, and needs to be to support the plate. The effect has had a great effect on the audience the 3 times I have seen it. Oh, and the steel plate was flown in all 3 times Ive seen it, Im sure it depends on the venue, and the size of the fly-space.

Bryan
croman
View Profile
New user
usa
64 Posts

Profile of croman
I saw this illusion performed 2 times live by Copperfield. Great Illusion, the fiorst time it just seamed impossible. Great.
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
I haven´t seen this one. But from the descriptions reminds me a lot of the Walking Throough the Wall of China, especially when you figure in about the spandex.
Novastar
View Profile
New user
-
5 Posts

Profile of Novastar
Quote:
On 2005-04-04 08:56, David Goldrake wrote:
Dear members,

The "Thru Steel" illusion has been created by André Kole. John Gaughan built it for David in 2002.

Regards,

D

I don't think it was in 2002 because David performed this illusion already in 2001 in his Portal tour ( I saw this illusion already in 2001 in Belgium when David was here with his portal tour, in oktober I will see him for my second time with people that have never seen him performing live)

Regards,

Christophe
MajesticWizard
View Profile
New user
Lakewood, WA - USA
57 Posts

Profile of MajesticWizard
I've always wanted to know how he did that trick. When I saw it on the "Illusion" DVD, for one brief moment, you can see a shadow under the steel when he used it for the exploding building trick. He probably used confederate audience members and mirrors. Though he claimes no mirrors are ever used, he still has to give you a false dackdrop somehow.
- Shawn

"Explore your world, its waiting for you".
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2463 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2005-08-16 10:55, MajesticWizard wrote:
When I saw it on the "Illusion" DVD, for one brief moment, you can see a shadow under the steel when he used it for the exploding building trick.

the topic is actually on a DIFFERENT illusion. please try to read the posts and help keep things on the right effect. thanks.

s
MajesticWizard
View Profile
New user
Lakewood, WA - USA
57 Posts

Profile of MajesticWizard
Quote:
On 2005-03-31 12:18, NexxusMagic wrote:
hello@all
can someon tell my how it works?
it´s so great!!
thanks thomas

The idea of how it works: He uses a thing, which is then connected to a certain part of something else. Through the gimmick of this trick we assume he is actually going through the steel...but in actually, the gimmick is doing the work for him. He merely has to manipulate the different parts of the stuff to the gimmick of the trick, and presto-changeo, he arrives through the steel.

Its only a guess, but I hope this helps.
- Shawn

"Explore your world, its waiting for you".
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I've personally seen the sheet of steel close up. There is nothing machanical about it. It's a hunk of metal.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield´s thru steel (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL