The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups And Balls Presentation Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Did he have a reason to go to the pocket? I'll have to double-check. I thought he just reached in there and grabbed 'em.

Kosmo,
Yeah, well i think i have mike maxwell's old beginners set of cups and balls.

wanna trade?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-10-07 19:17, tedb wrote:
hey, I was at that dinner with gazzo and cellini also...include me.....hey danny..we should have sold tickets....

speaking of cellini....the other day he gave me a set of rings...just 2...thats all that's needed to make real magic.....jim told me they were an old friends....some guy named Slydini...any of you guys ever hear of him....just BRAGGING! Smile

kozmo

Kozmo!

You old son of a so and so! Don't let him kid you guys, Kozmo was not only there he has the tape to prove it!

I can't WAIT to see volume two of Cellini's street tapes.

What's the status Kozmo? How close are you guys to being finished.

Can you give us a little tease as to what is going to be on the tape?

Best,

Dan-

Quote:
On 2002-10-07 19:37, fstarsinic wrote:
Did he have a reason to go to the pocket? I'll have to double-check. I thought he just reached in there and grabbed 'em.

Hi Frank,

Yeah, double check, it is great. He does the coin vanish of the small coin and pretends to put it in his pocket. He then smiles and shakes his head pointing to the table where he really left the coin.

The other hand comes out of the pocket and the rest is history.

It flew right by me the first time I saw it too.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Yeah Dan,

That coin on the table was great. And the look he gave the spectators and his timing was perfect.

All through the show you can hear the spectators saying..
"Check it out"
"Sweet"

It's a great little show.

Frank

herbcool, that's quite a list.
thanks
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Danny,

we are going to finish i think in january...then duplication and all the stuff to make it look like all videos should...maybe march....

i dont know whats gonna be on it.....i promise you though.....we are going to do our very best to make it better than the last one...and i think the last one was ok...right?

as far as the mike maxwell thing...is that a cut at slydini?

hum?

no i dont think i would be trading soon!....Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-10-08 14:19, tedb wrote:
i think the last one was ok...right?

No, the last one was great! I can't wait to see it Kozmo.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

ted, I didn't think you'd be trading. Hey, it's the only thing I have to trade. I had to ask.

I don't think I'd be making a cut at Slydini.
He's probably still better than I am.

:)

Frank
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
i think you will be on it danny....now that will be a hoot....wont it?..

hey danny...i'm gonna be on it also...why?....because I can....Smile

gazzo is gonna be on it..but on;ly a little...out of respect to gazzo we will only use a little of what we have...he has his own project hes working on...i would not interfer.....we are going to new orleans again....shooting some other guys...i likely think there will be a 3rd video...cause i dont know how we get it on just 2....

so heres a topic....what should be on it....if you guys had a question that you wanted answered by cellini...what would it be....

now thats a topic i'm interested....

koz
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Another thing I noticed about Sonny Holiday's cups and balls: when he is setting up for the tripple cup penitration, he vanishes two balls by "taking" them from his left to right hand, and putting them in his pocket one by one--except before his hand gets to his pocket, he vanishes the balls, rubbing his fingers as if they're already gone. Then his hand continues into his pocket... but why should he continue to the pocket if the ball is already vanished? It is rendered illogical if the ball is already gone. What do you guys think of that?
The beautiful triple cup penitration by a single ball is a move created by Charles Miller as documented in Ganson's "Dia Vernon Book of Magic." I had read that move before, but after seeing Sonny do it on the tape, I've incorporated it into my own cups and balls routine.
Please tell me what you think of the pre-pocket vanish.
Jim
PS: I love Sonny's jumbo coin routine. Any sources for jumbo coin moves/routine?
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Sonny does things Sonny's way. And I can only say that I will never criticize success.

But what works for you is what you do.

If you are not comfortable, don't do it.

I agree with your logic James, and I perform as logically as possible. I try never to raise questions unless I have a purpose and they are MY Questions.

I think Sonny's move cements the idea that it is gone. It is either gone from his hand as you can see by his finger flourish, but if you don't believe that, surely it is now gone as he put his hand into his pocket and left it there.

The more I think about it, the more I like the extra move, but I don't know if I believe it enough to use it.

If you think too much about it, it doesn't make sense. But few spectators think too much. They go where you lead them.

And I do like the extra reinforcement. So I guess I would use it once I got past asking myself if it was a superfluous move.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I'll have to check that out.

He also vanishes the 2nd ball in a weird way at the beginning of the routine. It almost looks like a mistake to me.

Maybe he was a little nervous about getting filmed???

For jumbo coin stuff, check out Garrett Thomas' video... "Any questions"

Big Coin... Little Purse.

I swear a jumbo comes right out of a little coin purse and then goes back in.

The angles are better than one might expect.

frank
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Quote:
On 2002-10-02 14:37, Frank Starsini wrote:
The magician that does the cups and balls on the new Cellini DVD does a good job. I like the presentation and I believe it is Cellini's routine.

My question is about the vanishes of the 3 balls at the start of the routine. I like the way they were done, however upon closer examinination, there were literally no sleights done.

He picked up the ball with one hand, put it in the other hand, and just pretended he still had it in the first hand by raising it and holding an empty fist. I was surprised. It cerainly seemed to go over well.

What do you think about that (non)-technique he uses?

Frank

Honestly, I think it was one of the worst presentations of the Cus and Balls I have ever seen. Maybe it is because I am a magician, but many of my non-magical friends think it is bad also. That is the only part of that video I found to be bad. His act, was A. not funny, B. not entertaining, and C. poorly done. The only good parts, were that he had the components that Cellini talked about.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It only took you two and a half years since the original post to realize this? A lot has happened in that time. What looked good then may look different to you now.

For me, it's still a good presentation of a classic trick. Sunny's "persona" suits him well in the venue where he performs. It wouldn't necessarily be good for a kid show or church picnic, but considering he's working on the streets of New Orleans, it's perfect.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I agree that it is not a technically sound routine but I really like it for some reason. It's not funny but it has a street "edge" to the presentation which provokes interest. I thought the final loads were well done, if I remember correctly.

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past.
I didn't even do a cups and balls routine back when this was started.

Frank

p.s. Hi Dave. Nice to see you at the Reno convention!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups And Balls Presentation Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL