The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What Size of Final Loads? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
I am trying to sort out my final load sequence and the first bit of bother I have encountered is what size of final loads to use.

With say the faux fruit that Michael Ammar uses:

1. Easy to conceal in pockets,
2. Easier to load without flashing
3. Incongruous with the balls you were using before
4. Contrast quite well with tops of cups
5. Pretty surprising

Another option is tennis balls, billiard balls... that sort of thing

1. Quite difficult to conceal in pockets
2. Not as easy to load without flashing but if you don't flash then it looks even more impossible to the audience as they are too big for them NOT to see going in... so they appeared magically.
3. It's a ball so it's not incongruous
4. Contrasts well with tops of straight sided cups but not with rounded cups.
5. Extremely surprising due to size.

I have also seen final loads of slightly bigger balls (I think they were eyes) but I think this may be the worst of both. It is easier to load and not as surprising as either in my opinion.

OK this is my opinion on this and many of you may disagree.

So with my opinion out of the way which type of load would all of you recommend for me? I'll be loading from the pockets but will be at a table so a ledge/servante may be a possibility. I'm just not sure which would be best.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
There is a four page thread here that might answer a lot of your questions about loads.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24272 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Let's address all of this.

1) Why the pockets?

If you don't wear a jacket, you do limit yourself to working from the pockets, but there are other places to get the loads from -- see the thread on Final Load Logic in secret sessions.

2) Balls

Although balls do not contrast with the tops of rounded cups, the rounded top of these cups makes a ball look larger than it actually is. This is why the Paul Fox cup was so popular. It would hold a lacrosse ball, which looked like it was too large to fit into it when placed on top of the cup.

3) Contrast

Although contrast is important, surprise is more important. If you can produce surprise with a ball, fine. If not, produce a tarantula.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Size doesn't matter, as Ken Brooke would preach... it is THE CHANGE. He would use smallish lemons or limes. Easy to carry and conceal and load.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
This discussion revolves around inanimate objects...how about animate objects. Have there been any routines that use animate objects as a final load? If so what may I ask...just curious cause I can remember as a child seeing old magic catalogs that showed illustrations of chop cups and baby chicks along with the standard balls and fruit.
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I've heard of people using gerbils, chicks, etc. for final loads. For that, you need heavy cups so they don't "walk away," and I can't imagine the nightmare of pocket management!

I've also seen wind-up toys used. They start hopping around after the cup is lifted. Again, these present a new problem (keeping them wound and silent) but the payoff may be worth it if the routine is enhanced by the final loads.

I'm still experimenting with different finals, myself. My guess is the "perfect" load is one that is surprising, but makes sense with the routine--and makes the whole effect better by it's use.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I agree with Pete that it's the change that causes the surprise. You can add to that element of surprise by changing both the size and the colour of the final load. They are expecting small white ball...they see large yellow lemon (or whatever). I think this does add an extra element to, let's say, small baseball to large baseball.

Once the effect is over, someone will nearly always want to feel the final loads (I was VERY careful with my wording there). There is a perception that false fruit is just that - false - so there must be something 'funny' about it. I think that sometimes detracts from the effect in some people's eye. So, use REAL fruit - this seems to impress people even more.

When not using fruit, I tend to use tennis balls as a final load. They provide a nice colour & size contrast to the white mini baseballs that I use, they're also light to carry, quiet to load, and they also come in different colours (I use an orange ball for the 4th load).

A good place for inspiration for final loads is in shops selling juggling balls. There are lots of different types and colours of balls made for juggling - from mini bean bags to clear acrylic balls.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I think that size doesn't matter but having size is an advantage. When I started with the cups and balls I used a mini set. Then when I got a larger set and used the loads the reaction from the audience was much stronger with the larger cups and balls than the smaller set.

Some also think that the solid loads is also an advantage to. Because I have had spectators want to pick up the large load ball and squeeze it. They are amazed that they have no idea how these large balls got into the cups because they do not squeeze down like a sponge ball and - you can't palm them. And they don't fit in your sleeve.

Anyway that is my take on it. I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2005-04-06 09:56, taliesin wrote:

A good place for inspiration for final loads is in shops selling juggling balls. There are lots of different types and colours of balls made for juggling - from mini bean bags to clear acrylic balls.

Check these out:

http://www.dube.com/
http://www.jugglingstore.com/

Not cheap - but some fantastic ideas.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Quote:
On 2005-04-06 07:14, BerkleyJL wrote:
makes the whole effect better by it's use.

Too true. The final load is in effect the kicker to the whole routine. If your routine is all about the manipulation of the balls then I would not use a jumbo load at then end. You have gotten the point across that you are a master manipulator. Simply using a kicker load will do the trick.

Myself I try to appear to be more of a comedian/inept magician (save the jokes) then manipulator. So for me the final load is key to proving how good I really am at the end of the show.

I use baseballs as my balls(tiny), loads(larger) and secondary loads(full size). I use the melon for the final load because of its complete difference to what has been shown to the audience. It blows people away because they were not expecting it at all.

That is the point of a Final Load IMHO. If it does not grab them by the balls, lift them five feet into the air, and leave them smiling then it is not the right load or you are doing it wrong. Of course this like everything I post could be completely wrong as it is only my opinion.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Steven Pillay:

All the advice on this thread about final loads is good. The only thing I think makes no sense, is that the final load “makes sense with the routine.”

It is precisely “not making sense” that makes, as Pete Biro says, “THE CHANGE.”

That is why I am having so much fun with the Rubber Roaches I use with my Mini-Cups. In some of the Birthday shown I do, a child or two has seen me do C&B’s at other parties. So when I get to the last cup to lift, and ask a kid to pick that cup up for me, they are expecting a big ball.

It is the “change” the “Surprise” and the less it has to do with the rest of the routine, the better.

What I have been doing is to start to lift the last (bug filled) cup and I stop and say “something does not feel right, I could swear that something is moving inside the cup. Would someone pick this one up for me, please, and do it very slowly."

As they pick up the cup, millimeter at a time, the bugs start falling out and spill over each other, it looks like a live load. I have had no bad reactions and the kids talk about it for a long time afterwards.

I now get them (the bugs, not the kids) by the gross because if I see a child that looks a little queasy from the roaches, I will seek them out and ask them if they would like one of those bugs to take home. They always say yes and spend a lot of time showing it to the adults and trying to gross them out.

When I was young, I considered using live loads, but decided not to. The perception that you are harming animals is not worth the risk. In the Middle Ages, it crossed no barrier to harm animals in a show, but not now.

Bob
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Galli Galli and others did use live chicks. They did not harm them... during the show. But chicks grow rapidly, and you constantly have to get new ones and them figure out what to do with the old ones. Just not very practical for a working performing... particularly a traveling one. But, the Galli Galli routine, as seen on the Ed Sullivan show from time to time was hilarious.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
In my opinion, I do not know if the chicks were harmed, before, during, or after the show. I have seen theGalli Galli routine and it was very good.

What I said was “the perception” of the chicks being mistreated in this age is the problem. Just using my rabbit at small shows and birthday parties always elicits questions from children and parents asking if “Wellington” (my rabbit) likes being my assistant and where does he live, and lots petting requests.

This is from an animal that walks around my table and in and out of his Bunny Box for much of the show. In other words, he looks happy.

I have handles baby chicks. Nothing about their behavior makes them look happy or contented. It has little to do with, if they really are happy and contented. It has to do with the perception.

I had a teacher friend in Delaware that lived next door to a hatchery. He considered using baby chicks in his Gospel shows, they offered to give him “fresh” chicks for any show, but he never did it because of the above mentioned reasons.

Bob
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Just got back from Target. Among other things, 3 white eyeballs with bloodshot marks that flash red and blue at $1 a piece came home with me. Fit inside my cups with a little to spare. The line will be something like, " I told you to keep an eye on the cups but a few people took me too seriously!" They take a slam to light up and so far only a couple of times has that happened. I look at the lights as a potential bonus.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2005-04-06 09:56, taliesin wrote: A good place for inspiration for final loads is in shops selling juggling balls. There are lots of different types and colours of balls made for juggling - from mini bean bags to clear acrylic balls.

Just wanted to put in my vote for lacrosse balls as final loads. They are inexpensive, readily available at most sporting goods stores, and come in a couple of bright colors (including a glow-in-the-dark model). They are also smooth, quiet to load and impressive to produce.

For the spectators who want to examine them, lacrosse balls are solid and heavy. If they get dirty, you can just wash them with a little dish detergent to keep them bright and shiny. They will fit most cups, including the moderately priced Bazar De Magica line. And -- they are also great for juggling. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Speaking of Galli Galli, Joe Porper was in Las Vegas some years ago and Galli Galli was on the show and picked Porper to come on stage. Joe said it was fantastic and the folks literally peed themselves watching the routine where the chicks wound up INSIDE Porper's trousers!
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I'm going to agree with Steven about Ammar's faux fruit loads. They look absolutely real and are just the right size. I'm all for the low-hassle approach.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Agreed. I just got his Turnip. Have potato and tomato.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What Size of Final Loads? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL