The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Newbie at illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dencker
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Dencker
Hey guys!
I have NEVER made magic with illusions before, only Close-Up. But then I decided to take the step further. I'm only 14 years, but I REALLY want to start with some illusions. So, recently I bought "Darwin's Inexpensive Illusions", which really disappointed me. I was hoping for some building plans, but there is 3 illusions ON EACH PAGE(I wouldn't recommend others buying)! Ok, back to my case. I need another book, which really would get me started. As I said, I have NEVER worked with illusions before, but I think I heard once, that there was some hiding places in the base, which can be rolled away from the stage(is this right?)! I thought about buying "Illusion systems #1"(Begin to build your own illusions) by Paul Osborne. Is this the right choise for me?

Thx.
//Dencker
Watercooler
View Profile
New user
England
81 Posts

Profile of Watercooler
Many books don't include workshop plans because the illusion should be custom built. Andrew Mayne sells individual illusion plans (called the Illusion Impact Series. about $15 each), the latest of which is walking through barbwire. His website is http://www.weirdthings.com if you want to take a look.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22245 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Exposure is not permitted on the Café! Yes, Paul Osborne books are good. It depends how big of a shop you have. You will need access to wood working, welding, and metal fabracations equipment.

Are you a skilled craftsman? Most plans assume you are knowledgable in these crafts. They are not detailed plans. You get a few measurements and you must figure out the rest.

Buy all the illusion books you can. The read and absorb the books. How are you finacially? After you build an illusion, you need a stage scenery, assistants, music, and lots of practice. You will need a large truck to transport the illusions and equipment and assistants.

Have fun!
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dencker
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Dencker
Thx, but I don't like his illusions too much :-P Erhm, I think "Begin To Build Your Own Illusions" contains 7 blueprints Smile http://hamiltonholtinc.site.yahoo.net/begtobuilyou.html :

If you've ever wanted to build your own stage magic and illusions, this is the book to get you started. It's excellent for the beginning craftsman. Over eighty pages of information, building tips, what tools to buy, how to paint and even sub-contract work. We assume nothing and start you at the beginning. It's loaded with photos as well as fully written and illustrated by Paul Osborne. As a bonus, you receive full building plans for seven easy-to-construct illusions: THE FLASH APPEARANCE, NEW PALANQUIN, THE QUEEN'S CUT, CHEST OF NEFERTARI, MODERN CABINET, COSTUME TRUNK AND THE CHEST OF ENCHANTMENT.

That's the description. But I'd like to hear other ppl thoughts about it Smile

//Dencker

Quote:
On 2005-04-03 05:05, wmhegbli wrote:
Exposure is not permitted on the Café!

Sorry Smile
But thanx Smile I'm not thinking of making big shows yet, but I think its good to start soon Smile

LOL why can't I edit my post?

hehe, that should be an option on this forum

New idea.

What 'bout buying this? http://hamiltonholtinc.site.yahoo.net/iltap1.html And then some bulding plans?
Would that be better than buying the book?

//Dencker
majical
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majical
You can edit your post, Dencker.

See above your post, it has the date? Move right, to where it says "quote", "pm", etc. You should find the edit button among those. Click it.

Micah
Dencker
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Dencker
There is only "online - Quote - pm - profile - report this post" Smile

Sorry - I meant the Thread - not the post Smile
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
Right after you post, you can edit it until a time passes (I think it's 20 or 30 minutes) or until someone else posts after you. Look up after you post -- the "Edit" option will be there between "Profile" and "Report this post."

I wholeheartedly recommend the Osborne Book I. The plans are easy and good. I build my first illusions form those plans -- the "Queen's Cut" (cutting in 6's) and "Palanquin" (Appearance illusion). Both provided me with experience and knowledge of building and using illusions until I started earning more $$ and replaced them with pro-built stuff. Buy the book, it will provide you with a great knowledge base.

I suggest building cardboard mockups first, however, as Osborne tends to draw his plans for either midget girls or 8-year-old children!
Dencker
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Dencker
Deke, thx Smile

How many illusions should I use to get a show running?
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Dencker... I would go back and give Darwin's another try... its good to see if illusions is really right for you, before you commit a ton of money.. The methods he gives are very workable.
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
Geoff, the methods ARE workable, but not practical for the work-a-day guy. Generally speaking, you need control over your stage, lighting, or both to pull off the Darwin stuff. Most of us don't have those ideal conditions.

Under banquet conditions, for example, you are often semi-surrounded on an 8' square platform. Darwin's stuff just won't cut it. A zig zag, cutting in 6's, temple of benares, headchopper, cube zag, origami, modern art, bow sawing, hindu basket, or similar illusions are what are necessary. Get in, do 'em, get out, no angles.

Dencker, for most situations, I would suggest one good illusion like those mentioned above. I like to include the headchopper in addition to the illusion; many magicians might not consider this an illusion, but small choppers are easy to transport and create a funny and magical part of your show. This is enough for a good, solid start to an illusion show without a lot to transport.
Dencker
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Dencker
Geoff, I don't like the blackart Smile

Deke, Thx, mate you are SO helpful Smile Do you have msn messenger or AOL?
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 16:18, Dencker wrote:
Deke, thx Smile

How many illusions should I use to get a show running?

How long a show do you want? Very rarely will you find a show with just illusions. Yiu have smaller tricks that go around these larger illusions. For a 45 minute set you only need 2 or 3 illusions with smaller tricks around them. Things like Bowl o rama or Hospitality etc.

It also depends on your style of show. If your perfoeming very fast paced magic, it'll obviously fill less time as if it was performed at a slower pace. This may not suit your style though.
Dencker
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Dencker
Can U give me a link to Hospitality? What is it? Smile I heard it a lot of times, but I don't really know what it is Smile
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I believe there are plans for it in Jim Steinmeyers book Modern Art. It can also be purchased from Dave Charvet. I will copy and paste the description below along with a link to Dave Charvet. I believe its to gis old site though I'm afraid. I'm not sure of his new one.

This is a reputation-maker. Whether you perform at banquets, parties or on stage, Hospitality is unusual and different!
Just imagine: from an unprepared milk carton you pour chocolate milk, strawberry milk, cola, orange juice, tomato juice, soda water, lemonade or any other drinks of your choice. Every drink is tasted y the audience and verified as REAL. Then the milk carton is torn open and passed for examination at the finish!
No flavorings or "essences" are used. The drinks are real. There are no compartments in the milk carton and nothing to add or take away. Nothing concealed on your body. Entire act packs into its own case. Sets up in about 5 minutes. Perform with or without an assistant. As an audience-participation routine it can't be beat! this is magic your audience will talk about long after the show is over.
Created by Jim Steinmeyer originally for Doug Henning's Broadway show, when Doug returned to magic shorlty before his death in 1999, he asked us to build him this version, which he used on his last shows. He told us he was overjoyed with the prop. International magic star, Luis DeMatos, has presented this version on his network TV show in Portugal. Likewise, Lance Burton has featured this routine for several years now in his Las Vegas show, having purchased his original model from us. The reaction every night is terrific!
Comes with video instructions and booklet covering the whole routine step-by-step. Use your own towels and table or stand. All things necessary for performance can be found at any grocery store. No expensive refills or chemicals to buy - ever!
This prop is built in authorized cooperation with Jim Steinmeyer, exclusively by Charvet Studios.

http://hometown.aol.com/dcstudios/props.html
Dencker
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Dencker
That sounds SO nice Smile

Ok, now I just ordered "Begin to build your own illusions".

I'll write what I think 'bout it when I get it Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Dencker,

Please Don't ignore Osborne's "Classics of Magic" book. It's nice to see the variations of some of the classics (Sub Trunk, Modern Cabinet, sawing in half, etc.) One can build a complex version or an easy to build version and the discusions of each I found very enjoyable and informative.

As soon as Classics II becomes available, I'll buy that!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Newbie at illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL