The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Modern Art - Problem? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
If you originally liked Zig-Zag, then you have to love Modern Art. It is not that easy to build even though the plans are very detailed.

I agree with everyone that the performance is what counts more than the prop. Otherwise how can you explain magicians who still perform old classics with such class that audiences still are amazed and wondered.

I also think that there should be some movement inside the box, but then you have to think how much is too much.
fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
We have performed Modern Art for 4 years now and so far it has never failed to get a huge audience reaction! I too believe that there are far to many wannabe Illusionists ( Especially here in the UK ) who rush to get an Illusion without thinking about where it will fit into their show! I also agree with most posters on this thread, that far to many "performers" actually neglect to work on their Performance!! I actually met a show producer who travels to Vegas to get show ideas and always come home with an Illusion, but nevers manages to perform one! I have had a few bargains from this person.
www.specialfxmagic.com
It ain't what you do! It's the Way that you do it!
thefifth
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thefifth
I personally don't really care for Modern Art as an Illusion, but I do like the casket look. That is a very nice, and clever touch. Bravo Morgan.
[email]info@williampenix.com[/email]
www.williampenix.com
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
The middle part of this thread (so far) points out a problem endemic to the "illusion show" in general. Yes, there are probably some badly made "Modern Arts", just as there are badly made (illusion name here.) The vast majority most likely are being sold because the audience didn't stand on their chairs and applaud when the great Tofuni ran through it a couple of times and put it in his show.

THE number one problem I ran into when in the magic building business was "illusionists" ordering a prop with a target date in mind. Their actual performance was almost never more than two days after their proposed delivery date. It didn't matter if it was a sub trunk or a 360 levitation with loads of mechanics.

There are certainly exceptions to this situation. I dealt with a (very) few dedicated ENTERTAINERS who determined what effect would fit their stage persona, bought a prop and rehearsed it diligently before going onstage. There are more out there that I never dealt with. But on the whole, this particular field of magic has many issues. As I have said before illusions are, in many cases, handicapped accessibility for the talent impaired. The box is supposed to do the entertaining.

Modern Art is, when artfully built and performed, a very strong illusion. It is NOT a standing ovation in a box.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
hannibalmagic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of hannibalmagic
Rightfully said. I think that the bottom line is that so many people think if you buy David Copperfields illusion you can be david coperfield. NOT SO. Even for those of you going to lash out about david lacking performance skills (Stop and don't post) My point is find your style. go buy some crap, medium ebay or swap meet illusions. take it out and do a hundred rehearsals then perform a thousand shows. You will make the grade and have tons of people praising your work. If you indeed want to be one of a kind in magic I suggest getting a lot of MONEY and creating one illusion or Just get a killer close up act and take it to FISM.....
I buy illusions
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Modern Art - Problem? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL