The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusionworks Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamieLeigh
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JamieLeigh
Do you know where I can get a copy of these books? I'm looking for the plans to the body transformer.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
They are by Rand Woodbury if that helps any.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
538 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
This isn't a book I particularly like! - It was/is expensive, and although it contains loads of IDEAS for illusions, I am skeptical that many of the actually work! (Certainly there is insufficient information provided to allow someone to make any of them without a certain amount of prototyping/ experimentation.)

I'd be interested to know if Jamie has actually seen a body transformer built and performed?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Rand Woodbury books are "idea books" and are excellent to read and study for self development on illusions. Yes, I can understand wh some would not like them. They are not detailed like Osborne plans.

What some discuss in detail are "deceptive bases" and the rational in it's design. This is lacking in other illusion books. It seems, the lover of Illusions, builder of Illusions, or creative mind type people gain the most from these books. It is not for everyone.

The Body Transformer is a concept on how it can be done, no detailed plans
Dennis Michael
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I only wish I had contact info for Rand Woodbury. I'd love to tell him what I think of him. I owe so much of my success building illusions to his books and videos. This is a "Working Magician" who has learned all the pros and cons of illusion building and passed them on to others at modest prices. That kind of info is priceless. I don't think either his books or tapes are expensive but rather the best investment in magic I have ever made!

You ROCK Rand!

Best,

Tim
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
538 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Maybe I've been a little harsh! I must admit that when I bought Illusionworks, I was rather dissapointed by the standard of the artwork - it seemed to me at the time that the drawings had been produced on some computer system and lacked a load of detail. Being a professional "drawer of plans" perhaps I was expecting too much. Certainly with Timothy's testimonial above, I'll dig it out and have a look at it from another perspective! Certainly some of the ideas in there are very good, but I still feel that they would take a lot of work to put into practice!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi John,

I've never built any of the illusions in Rands books but his building tips and theories on D-bases have made a big differnence for me. I had built several bases in the past and was never really happy with them. Its was Rands work that really made a difference for me. It changed my whole way of looking at things. Here is one of his bases that I built and use with 2 different illusions.

http://www.timothydrake.ca/images/portalopen2.jpg

and

http://www.timothydrake.ca/images/clock1.jpg

To the original poster....... I'm sure a google search will result in several sources for these books.

Best,

Tim
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I love the Rand Woodbury books. They have excellent concepts and designs. I have built the Vismet illusion. It works great, but I had to build a cardboard mockup to get the dimensions right. You can find a detailed explanation of the performance and building of the Body Transformer on one of his video tapes (I will try to find mine so I can tell you which one). I see them on Ebay and magic Auction all the time.
Brock Edwards
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I don't personally own them, but I have a friend that does and he loves them and has some pretty cool illusions that he built after reading them.
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
JamieLeigh
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JamieLeigh
I have two of his videos, and I really liked them. He shows the presentation of the body transformer in there. It's a really cool illusion from what I saw. He shows how to build it, but there aren't any dimensions. Is this book still in print or not? I had heard that it talks about the illusion in there, and maybe even has some measurements? I'll do some searching online right now. But if you guys know whether or not there are any details in the book, I'd really appreciate it.

J
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
I own all of his books and videos from the Illusionworks series and they are great to get you thinking . As stated above they help more in conceptual design than actually for building the exact pieces from the books. We made 3 bases for our show using the "techniques" he outlines on his bases video. Tim awesome bases youve built you are true graduate of Rand university!
JamieLeigh
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JamieLeigh
I was unable to find these books online. I could find the videos, but do you know where I can get the books? I've built two illusions using his techniques, but the first one didn't work, as I used his measurements. But I agree that the techniques were fantastic.

If anyone is interested in selling me their used book, I'd like that too. Sounds like some of you might be wanting to get rid of them.

J
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I have all of Rand's products and find them to be superb. Sure, some of the illusions take a little R&D time to make them functional, but the concepts contained are well worth it! I had a Body Transformer built a few years back (have since sold it simply because I over used it), and the changes we made to the idea were minimal.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I see these books in the plans section of the magic auction every now and then.
Dennis Michael
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
I have seen these books for sale on magic auction on different occasions. I have the books and have helped a friend of mine build the body transformer. Its a giant illusion but it played well. I would have to agree with the others on how good the books are in terms of ideas and inspiration.

Robert
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Jamie-

I would try:

http://www.misdirections.com/illusion.html

Make sure and give them a call though. I have wanted to buy books they have listed on that page before only to call and find out "no, that book is out of print." So I'm not sure why they have books listed for sale with prices if they actually do not have them in stock...It might be a good starting place for you though.

Best of luck!

Allan

PS-I have one of the Illusionworks videos I am getting ready to sell. If you are interested, PM me! Smile
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Jamie,

After all of this.....

We, the members of the Magic Café demand to see photos or performance video of your body transformer if you ever build it ! Build one that will make ol' Rand proud!

Best,

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusionworks Books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL