The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Searching for a new twist on an old effect... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

majical
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majical
What I am looking for is a new twist on an old, well-known effect. For example: Professor's Nightmare. The new "twists" on that effect are marketed as Magician's Nightmare, Insomnia, Professor's Math, etc. I'm looking for other effects like these. (Note: these will be performed for magicians, not laymen.) I hope you understand what I am talking about.

Micah
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Try Cody Fishers Sweet dreams. I heard its pretty sweet I have mine on ordered. Im waiting for it. Its supposed to have an adult type theme.
majical
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majical
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Sweet Dreams yet another version of Professor's Nightmare? If I remember, it was a fresh presentation of the old effect and gave performing rights for the routine. I don't think there were alternate methods at work. Let me know when you get yours.

Any other suggestions?
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
It is a hilarious, adult presentation of prof's nightmare. May not be suitable for all audiences, and you need some giant maracas to pull off some of the lines but having said that, it works for Cody, and may work for you too!
Logic Defied
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22532 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-04-04 18:45, majical wrote:
What I am looking for is a new twist on an old, well-known effect. For example: Professor's Nightmare. The new "twists" on that effect are marketed as Magician's Nightmare, Insomnia, Professor's Math, etc. I'm looking for other effects like these. (Note: these will be performed for magicians, not laymen.) I hope you understand what I am talking about.

Micah

No your question is not clear. What trick are you in search of alternate methods. Old effects with a new twist. Linking Rings, Cups & Balls, Chop Cup, 1000 four ace routines, Silk to Egg. I could go on and on, as most tricks are an extension of another. Is that what you are asking?

If you are asking about rope tricks exclusively. I believe that Professor Nitemare or equal un-equal ropes as the they call it in England is the most re-worked rope effect in the history of magic. I do not know of any other rope trick that has so many versions.

That is because it has all the elements of a great trick and lay audiences enjoy it.

Running a close 2nd is the generic trick under the title of 'Cut and Restored Rope Trick' there are many versions of this, but nowhere near the number of the afore mentioned trick.
majical
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majical
Actually, I am looking for "magician foolers." For example, you start with 3 uneven lengths of rope. They are all stretched to the same length. At this point, the magicians think they know the method. But then, the ropes are shown cleanly, seperately, and all actually even. Take an old effect, add a new phase or method, and fool magicians with it.

One way to put it is a sort of "sucker effect," but for magicians. As you do an effect, the magicians think they know the method. But in the end, they are fooled.

I'm not only looking for Professor's Nightmare effects, I already know of three new versions of that effect, but am looking for other effects that are new versions of old effects.
To make an analogy: Professor's Nightmare is to Magician's Nightmare as __________ is to ___________

So basically, I am looking for magician foolers. I also want these effects to be based on old effects, so they have the "sucker" quality I described above.

I'm not sure if any more effects of this nature exist; but if they do, I'd love to know what they are!

Micah
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have several, but I don't wish to talk about them.

What you need to do is take tricks you know and WORK YOUR BRAIN over them until you have a variation of the method.

One example: I did the Conway Rope Trick (a variation of Prof's Nightmare where you end up with one long piece).

OK it is the handling that makes it look like one piece. But then I threw it out into the audience at the finish.

This fooled the c**P out of some of the very knowledgable guys. Two came backstage and asked me to "settle a bet" - bet was one guy couldn't figure out how I could have switched the ropes.

What did I do?

Nothing... I tossed the gimmicked ropes into the audience... So one or two guys grabbed it and figured it out but the other 999 in the audience were blow away.

I have tossed a Malini egg bag into the audience for examination before I start...

Just put brain in gear!
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Searching for a new twist on an old effect... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL