The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Give away trick..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
O.K. so the Head waiter aproaches you after your table hopping set, you need to "keep in" with him, - it helps, next time that you are performing, if he doesn't start serving food during your routine... and he asks...

"I know that you aren't supposed to do this, but can you teach me a trick, just a small one, I'm going back home to *******(somewhere on another continent) in a couple of weeks time and would love to show my (poor old ageing) Mother (and twelve poor children)that I have learned some magic while I was away....."

What do you do?

a) Say "No, I'm a (semi) professional magician, the magic circle won't allow me to divulge any secrets and besides, my magic takes YEARS to master (and you aren't up to it)".

b) teach him a trick.

(If (b) then what trick????)
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
580 Posts

Profile of Nick23
A self working card trick would be ok. Maybe something like the 21 card trick, turn over card, clock trick, maybe something with a key card.

Mathematical tricks are relatively easy to learn. Some simple mind reading maybe incorporated into a book test... the old 3 digit number reversed e.g. 321 - 123 = 198. 1+9+8 equals 18. the 18th page.

There are some simple rubber band tricks. the travelling ring is fairly easy. Pull an elastic band tight and hide part of it in your left hand. Thread a ring over the end. Slowly release the hidden band from your left hand and it appears that the ring is moving along the band.

Simple stuff like that should be fine.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Refer him to Steve Fearson's Website and ask him to learn the very useful Fearson Aces!! Smile

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
I normally teach them a 'Pick a card, Find a card' trick using the key card. Although many know this, I present it a little different and they feel it's a new trick - so then, what I teach them is presentation, and they're quite happy with that surprisingly!
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Teach him a simple trick, of course!
Something like the use of a key card, the jumping rubber band, the French drop with a coin or other small object, etc.
After all, where do you think people who have an interest in magic come from?
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I happily teach them the french drop or a card trick with a key card. I also tell them to go to their local library where there are some fantastic magic books. These books have become very sophisticated with rope routines, ring on string material, card tricks and coin effects. Hey that's where I started (35 years ago - gulp!!)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
All great ideas and I would also suggest that you teach him a simple trick and an entertaining routine. Beginning magicians all want secrets, but you should encourage him/her to work on the presentation. So if the method is easy (i.e. jumping rubber band), that would give them more time to find ways to inject their personality to make it entertaining...and make it a real fooler.

I would also suggest that they check out the library or local book store for pedestrian magic. But if they are near a city that has a brick-and-mortar magic shop, then they can go and see tricks for themselves and get first-hand instructions/demonstrations.

I also suggest that if they are indeed serious, then you invite them to your local magic club meeting to meet other magicians and see other performing styles so they aren't "cloning" you. And finally if they maintain an interest, then invite them to join the best magic organization in the world, the International Brotherhood of Magicians http://www.magician.org where they can receive a monthly magazine chock full of tricks, reviews and ads.

I hope this helps.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Magic Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
107 Posts

Profile of Magic Sam
Teach him, or you've implied that you're somehow better than he..
I always teach the 'bottom card face-up; select card; flip deck, return card, flip deck; reveal' because it amazes them and it's easy.
That or simple mentalism, eg Elephant/Denmark or any addition stuff. They'll thank you, you're not tipping any material he couldn't find at the library, and everyone's happy.
Magic is like a party in your eyes, where everyone's drunk and breaking the furniture
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I would say something simple like CMH, jumping rubber band, or card warp.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Crazy man's handcuffs?!?card warp? eesh....

I will teach them if they ask me more than once.... that's what I go by

I teach them the french drop or a 4 ace trick. I try and focus more on how you have to act rather than the mechanics. And I always mention libraries..if they come see me a week or a month later with a new trick or a book, I will teach them whatever they ask me about (to a certain extent).

I don't see much harm in teaching someone who's interested in magic a trick or 2..
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I usually teach them something that Mac king taught on the Worlds Greatest Magicians" something like having the bottom card reversed and then having a person select a card and then yadayadayada all the cards are one way and their selection isn't.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Here's a thought. Teach him a simple, inexpensive gimmicked packet trick. Then write down the name of the trick and the local magic shop where he can buy it. This way, he has the secret, but the only way he can perform it is by going through all of the same motions that every other magican has to.

Also, if he actually does go into the magic shop to buy the trick, he may see all of the other wonderful things that may be available to him.

As a side note, once you have done this, call your local magic shop and be sure to give them this guy's name and mention that you referred him. Give them a little background to work with in case this guy shows up. The shop will appreciate the referral of a potential new customer and you may chaulk up a few brownine points as well.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
To a novice, CMH is *not* easy. Card Warp is mechanically simple, devilishly difficult to deliver properly. Besides, both of these are Waaay too good to give away.

I occasionally tip "ashes in the hand" (Voodoo Ash?) if someone is desperate to learn.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Make up a bunch of Two Card Monte sets with illustrated instructions. Anyone asks, teach them that and give them the nice set. Easy to do, looks good, works on most adults.

Yours,

Paul
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Quote:
On 2005-04-06 11:43, ross welford wrote:
I occasionally tip "ashes in the hand" (Voodoo Ash?) if someone is desperate to learn.

everyone knows how to do that thanks to tv lol
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
SanCho14jfm
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
244 Posts

Profile of SanCho14jfm
I agree with Logan, a key card routine can be turned into a fascinating routine that the person who learns is very appreciative of. For example whenever I have someone pressing me for a trick I teach them a key card routine. First I of course perform the routine to them, where I reveal the card by telling them their eyes have the picture of the card in them. This simple feat of presentation blows them away and they realize that even though the key card is highly known and common even among lay people, if performed right it could look like a miracle.
SanCho
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2005-04-06 19:58, Joey Stalin wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-04-06 11:43, ross welford wrote:

everyone knows how to do that thanks to tv lol

Not on this side of the pond, they don't! Sure there'll be one or two, but it's very rare.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Even on this side of the pond......maybe you'll meet a few people who know it here and there.. but its still a killer trick... don't think everyone knows it Joey, the reactions are amazing!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Give away trick..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL