The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Mario Manzini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hi guys and gals, here I am at Mario's computer, in Columbia Missouri, while he's inside napping. We had a very, very, long weekend. I got here Wednesday afternoon and we rented a truck and loaded it with all of Mario's props for his big Houdini Tribute show in Muncie, Indiana. We hit the road about 6PM Thursday evening and got to the hotel in Muncie at about 4AM as it is about a 450 mile drive. Mario had a double stunt to promote the show at 8AM friday morning. The first stunt was a handcuff escape from the local sheriff who double locked a pair of Peerless cuffs onto Mario who was then tied into a sack by the sheriff and the Mayor of Muncie. Mario emerged a few minutes later with the cuffs still firmly on his wrists asking the sheriff to unlock them with the key. As the sheriff stepped forward smiling Mario spun around, and freed himself from the cuffs in less than a second while everyone's jaws just dropped. Mario then handed the cuffs back to the sheriff pointing out to everyone's amazment thet they were still double locked.
For the next stunt Mario was handcuffed with eight pairs of different type handcuffs, leg irons, and a set of thumb cuffs, and then jumped into the pool at the local YMCA with the mayor, the sheriff, two scuba divers, several TV news stations, a radio station and droves of on lookers in attendance. He emerged approximately 34 seconds later, free from his feters, to thunderous applause.
All this promotion for his Houdini tribute show paid off as he got excellent coverage on TV, Radio and in the newspaper and played to a packed house on Saturday night.
I MC'd the show and performed some comedy magic during scene and costume changing.
Mario opened with Norm Bigelow's Trial by Fire which was fantastic for me to watch live. He then produced his assistant using the Crystal Casket and then went into the sword basket illusion. He followed this up with two comedy rope ties and a few silk effects that he did with three younger volunteers.
Next was a 100 foot rope tie challenge followed by a SJ escape with handcuffs added. Mario ended the first half of the show with a double sack escape wearing 10 pairs of handcuffs, a set of thumb cuffs, a neck collar, 2 sets of leg irons and 20 feet of heavy duty tractor towing chain with several padlocks.
A brief intermission and then Mario opened the second half of the show with his Phantom of the Opera levitation routine which he followed up with a cage production and the Metamorphosis. Mario closed the show in his traditional fashion with his milk can routine, that just brought the house down. He then went out into the audience to sign autographs to hordes of delighted fans.
We packed up the show, loaded the truck and went back to the hotel at about 2AM to get sume much needed sleep before hitting the road early Sunday afternoon. WE got back home after another 450 mile road trip, unloaded the truck, returned it to the rental place and got home in the wee hours of the morning. So now you can see why he's inside napping. I'm going to try to get him to post here personally when he gets time but he has a lot of things in the works right now...like sleep. Meanwhile I'll try to get some pictures and links posted as soon as I get back home on April 9th. Oh!! and of course...having a wonderful time ...wish you all were here!
Best regards, Tony Parisi
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Brilliant post.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
A day in the life of a star! thank you for keeping up late (early?) to write all of that. As Escapemaster says. Brilliant post!

Ian
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Thanks for the update, Tony! Congrats to the two of you!

Clyde
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Bravo, Tony! Sounds like a great show.

Yours,

Paul
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
The lightning fast handcuff release sounds particularly striking (no pun intended).

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Clap! Clap! Thunderous applause!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Sweet

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Again, my apologies for the delay but here's some links to article's and pictures of Manzini's recent stunt in Muncie, Indiana.
http://www.thestarpress.com/articles/6/037309-8756-004.html (the chubby guy cuffing Manzini is non other that your's truly)
http://www.newslinkindiana.com/news/00000007773.html
Enjoy folks!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Nice reports Tony,,,I love the off the cuff style of reporting. Hey that`s a great looking Poster in there, hint,hint,I collect Poster`s !!!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Very nice publicity! Good reports and photo's. I agree with Kondini about the poster. Does Mario sell them?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
My question is the same. Are there any posters left for sale?

-Matt (TK)
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Great report. Seems like we were really there!

Mick
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
As a matter of fact the posters are available from Mario. Contact him at Marmanzini@aol.com. He'd be more that happy to personalize them for anyone interested.

Update: April 19 2005

OK I just got some more pictures of Mario's pool stunt so here they are. I hope you guys aren't getting tired of them.
http://maxrocks.net/gallery/view_album.p......=manzini
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Very cool Tony

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Nice series of photos! I always lilke watching a true pro at work! Keep them coming!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
It's amazing how some are perpetually(sp?) 25 years old.... WAY to go Mario!

Tony, I thought there was a time that Mario had released a video of his lecture, is that still available and where can I get a copy, thanks bud.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Yeah, they're still available. You can get them from Mario himself for $35 plus shipping.

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
Hi Tony,
Great report! It brings back many memories. The 450 mile drive, unloading the truck, thrilling the crowd, loading the truck, the 450 mile drive and at last some sleep. Unfortunately, I have come to a point where I don't want to do four of those, so I don't get the fifth as often as I would like.

Keep up the good work and I will live vicariously through you.

Rich
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Come on Rich, you and Don are still in your prime! Get out on the road and go to work. Like we were talking about at H Days, Don is still in prime form and could still do the Torture Cell (don't tell him I said that or he'll have you breaking the thing out Smile)
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Mario Manzini (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL