The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paranormal Forum (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi folks...

For those of you who are into the paranormal as I am, my wife has made an excellent little forum all about said topic. Please feel free to visit at :

http://paraportal.proboards28.com/index.cgi
Register and become a member and lets talk about the paranormal !

Thanks !

~Rick~
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Oh don't encourage people. There are plenty forums for believers out there,and when reality invades it gets messy Smile
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Yes, but some of us can stand with our feet firmly planted in both realities... Shaman have done it for centuries!
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Getting "Burned at The Stake" seems to be a too common occurence around "this", so-called "reality". Suppression, is Not the answer here .
Let Freedom Ring !
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I never understood why people believe:

Skeptics= Non believers.

I'm a skeptic, I wnat to believe! I just want proof and logic.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Scott,

What do you want to believe in?

Perhaps I can help.

Jack
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I think a skeptic is some one who questions, a cynic is some one who has made up his mind in the first place.

A lot of people seem to confuse being skeptical with being cynical.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 12:43, Hypnotic Winter wrote:
I think a skeptic is some one who questions, a cynic is some one who has made up his mind in the first place.

H.W

Well said H.W.
Corriveau
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Corriveau
The Shermer story, which Nikodini posted a link to, says it all. A lot of skeptics assume that believers are not very smart. It seems the skeptics fail to understand that science does provide all the answers that people are searching for. I've never understood why a true skeptic would want to perform as a mentalist.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
To turn a buck Corriveau.

More money in this than traditional research.
I do the research and expliot my own findings.

Jack
Corriveau
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Corriveau
I meant to say:

"It seems the skeptics fail to understand that science does NOT provide all the answers that people are searching for."
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 13:05, Corriveau wrote:
I've never understood why a true skeptic would want to perform as a mentalist.

Me neither. To perform mentalism being a completely skeptic, is like talking about love with women just to get laid.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 14:10, enriqueenriquez wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 13:05, Corriveau wrote:
I've never understood why a true skeptic would want to perform as a mentalist.

Me neither. To perform mentalism being a completely skeptic, is like talking about love with women just to get laid.

Actually not... it is all acting. I used to do regular magic, but I never believed anyone could actually make coins appear & disappear or cut a lady in half then restore her.
We are in a world that's pretty close to acting... you are pretending to be something... and hopefully doing it in such a way that it comes off as real.

This argument is similar to the ones I had with acting friends that were die-hard method actors... they couldn't do it on stage or screen if they hadn't done it in real life. I always told them, "I hope no one makes you act a dying scene."

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 13:49, Corriveau wrote:
I meant to say:

"It seems the skeptics fail to understand that science does NOT provide all the answers that people are searching for."

I read a lot of skeptic stuff (Randi, Shermer, Sagan, etc.) and science stuff, and I've never heard anyone say that science provides all the answers that people are searching for. I hear this kind of thing from critics of skeptics a lot, but I believe it's a misconception.

Do you have any sources for this--quotes from scientists or skeptics stating such a thing?
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Rick,

Good luck with your message board!
Self concept is destiny..
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 12:43, Hypnotic Winter wrote:

H.W

You're 100% on the mark HW!

Unfortunately, there are far too many intellectually challenged individuals within the magic community that don't recognize the difference e.g. most of them are cyncs by default.

In regards to "wanting to believe" -- I have the St. Thomas attitude around it all (or what some would call an Misourian's perspective) PROVE IT TO ME! Then, like the old mystics used to say "Be careful what you pray for..." I've had such prayer's answered and at least once, it involved having to change my shorts...

Well, I'd better stop... I might be saying something that's too Spiritually Oriented and non-right wing biased enough for this free thinking "Amerkian" magic forum...
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
He guys...you all could be debating this paranormal stuff on MysteryPortal forum...LOL!
here is the link again: http://paraportal.proboards28.com/index.cgi

Thanks for the kind words, MindPhantom

~Rick~
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Doubt all you want, Chtuhlu loves you just the same.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
No-no... Cthulhu does not love. Cthulhu USES (usually through dreams). Of course if you make the proper sacrifices and rituals, maybe....MAYBE....he will not trample you underfoot when the stars are right and R'leh rises.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Corriveau
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Corriveau
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 15:23, Greg Arce wrote:
I used to do regular magic, but I never believed anyone could actually make coins appear & disappear or cut a lady in half then restore her.
We are in a world that's pretty close to acting... you are pretending to be something... and hopefully doing it in such a way that it comes off as real.

This comparison is rubbish. 99% of the audience would know that your examples of magic effects are just tricks. But many people in an audience watching a mentalism performance tend to believe. With that in mind, why would a skeptic want to do mentalism? Unless the goal is exposure. But you say it should be done "in such a way that it comes off as real". Now I am really confused. I still don't understand why a true skeptic would want to do mentalism.

Quote:
On 2005-04-05 15:44, jimtron wrote:
I read a lot of skeptic stuff (Randi, Shermer, Sagan, etc.) and science stuff, and I've never heard anyone say that science provides all the answers that people are searching for.

They do like to say that if science cannot prove it, it can't be real.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paranormal Forum (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL