The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mirror Table? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Have any of you thought of, or tried anything like this? I am thinking of doing a card effect or two at a stage show next year, but obviously this won't work as the audience can mostly not see the cards on the table.

How about a pair of stilts attached to the table, with a mirror at 45 degrees mounted over the table. Do you think that would slove the problem? I realize lighting becomes a huge issue with a rig like that.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Your problem is easily solved with a camera person and a projection television. This will also let the audience see the cards more closely and will heighten the impact of the effect.

Nathan
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
Cliff, your idea of the mirror thing does work. I work as a chef and have seen many cooking demos where there is a mirror set up much like what you want to do. As a matter in fact I believe that Johnson & Wales demo kitchen for the students to learn what goes into the meal from the instructor is set up like that. Keep in mind you'd have do magic where the effect is strictly for a birds eye view. So let's say you have something hiding in a cup that is on the table, everybody will see it. As far as lighting issues, back when I was in school the chef would have his set up and no special lighting, just the flourecsent lighting in the room would be sufficent. We also used it in a darker room once back in vo-tech for a demo and dinner, everything went just fine.
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I think it would work but I doubt it would be practical for your purposes.
Nick
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Martin Nash did this for years. He built his first one when he was in his late teens and used the system for many years after. The last version he used had speakers connected to the outer sides of the mirror and the sound system attached to the under-side of his table. He wore a wireless mic and could perfom his card act for audiences well into the hundreds. I remember him showing me a photo of him working the PNE in British Columbia for an audience that was at least 200 if not much more.

You might want to check out his website and pop him and email. He's a very nice man and returns emails wuite promptly.

http://www.thecharmingcheat.com

Cheers,

Chris Stolz.
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
We have a mirror like this at the place where our magic club meets. it's made of milar streached over a large frame I'd say it's at least 4 x 8 works very well for a small group (up to about 35 when the room is full. Not too sure how it'd work for a larger group as the mirror dosn't enlarge. If you could afford it you'd be better served with a camera and projection device for larger audiences but for a smaller well lit ares you're right on track with that.
Enjoy
Joe Comet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mirror Table? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL