The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Norm Nielsen Manipulation Cards. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
The Norm Nielsen Manipulation Cards I have found to be the best available and I use the pre coated ones that never need fanning powder added . My problem is that after a few uses the cards get a bit "tackier" and do not fan as nicely and in fact are much harder to fan. I wondered if anyone that has had experience of these cards could tell me what they use to put the nice finish back on them so they fan like new again. Do you clean the cards with something or what ?. Your advice / help would be much appreciated, Many Thanks.

Stuart.

Derby Magic Circle .
England (UK)
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
For card with powder a card clamp and re powder if nessesary. For cards with wax nothing, just put them the right way(mine are both fanning and manip. cards) and put them in the box.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You need to re-powder the decks. They come powdered, but it is not stated that they never need powdering again.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
When I powder the deck, I place the cards into a clear baggy and put in a touch of the powder. I then shake the cards and the bag a lot and this tends to evenly coat the cards well without my hands or the poil on my hands interfering. I then dry my hands off, take the cards out of the bag and riffle them a few times to get rid of any excess powder. I can then place them in a card clamp overnight, and I am good to go.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
I agree with Kyle, that for me is the best way. the only difference is I use a garbage back. that way, I throw in the deck, and some fanning powder...then close up the bag with some air in it. shake the cards around...for me the bigger bag ensures each card is going to get covered. Then pull them out and play with them a while to get out the extra powder. This method is the same used by McBride.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
Quick Change Artist
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Matt,

Great idea. I usually use an extra large clear ziplock style bag. It works well for me, but I can see how a larger bag may work better to coat them more evenly. It is certainly worth checking out.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Thanks for the info. Obviously I realise that cards have to be powdered it is just that it is recommended that this precoated type should not need powder in the advert. I still prefer this type but the advert is a little misleading , I will probably try putting them in a bag with powder as doing them individually takes a long time.
Stuart.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hey,
All great advice and tactics for dealing with the manip cards, but realize too that the thinner cardstock will deteriorate after a bit of abuse. Youre gonna loose some here and there and be prepared to throw away the ones that get too irregular in shape or texture. Take care of your manip cards and your manip cards will take care of you.

-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Richard Moor
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Richard Moor
Hey Stuart,

I agree Norm's cards are exellent but you ever considered trying Duncan Trillo's own brand? I've tried Norm's and Murphys and find Duncan's to be the best by far!! (I bought mine through his add on magicweek.com).

Just a thought mate

Rich
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Hi Richard,
Thanks for that, I have seen Duncan's manip cards before and so following your comments I have decided to send for some to give them a go.
Stuart.
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I have found the same problem with Norm's cards, So I switch to Murphy's cards and they need no powder. If your interested in them you can find them at : http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Manipulation cards are affected by the weather. Depending where you live and perform will affect the cards drasticly. So if cards work well during a period and your climate changes so will the way the cards handle.
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
Wow I am new to card manips and I was not sure about how helpful powder is,but now I will pick some up
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
If you are new I recomend regular bee cards. I always learned with no powder and used broken in bee cards... Once you get used to the powder and the manip card you are now at thier mercy....and Norms.....My hands are small... the bees look large in my hands when I produce a fan of cards. It take a day or so of playing with a deck to break it in . I have an old Norm deck and the card stock is very different than the new card stock.. The new is to paper like .. when I split the fans the cards sometimes rip... Poker cards look so much better when fanned and have more spring . it might take a little longer to get used to them but you will be glad that you did.
Signature
View Profile
New user
Austria->Vienna
45 Posts

Profile of Signature
I use 2 different methods ;D

when I am at home I use the garbage bag style and if I am staying at a friends
place or something I have a smaller bag with me ;D
The smaller bags I use are usually used for things that you freeze ;D for later use
and they have a "air protection or something at theyr mouth so when you put
mushrooms into them and then freeze them they do not fall out ;D
I take a larger one of theese bags and sprinkle a small teaspoon of water
into the bag and shake it down to the corner (not much air in the bag since I do
a pre setup Smile
then I fold the bag until it is a small sqare and place 2 rubberbands around it
now it is save since the clip or how that thing in the bag mouth is called
keeps the powder in and doesn't let it fall out and its very small by now
I then put it immedatly into my backpack ;D

When I now need to repowder my cards I take the bag and remove the rubberbands
then I go outside
afterwards it is unfoldet and I spring my cards in there add a as much air as possible! I then hold the mouth of it VERY tight (i know it is secure but you simply
don't get rid of that strange feeling ;D)
shake it for some time(you need to shake it more then the regular bags since it is
smaller
then when you have shaken it for a while place it somewhere and leave it rest for
a few minutes! that way the powder drops to the ground and you get less dirty hands
then you take the cards out do whatever needet like shuffels and springing the cards, a few fans
the deck of cards should be fine by now ;D
after all that I place the cards on top of the bag (non powdered area) and
go inside to wash my hands! MAke shure your hands are dry when you come out and
pick up the deck and the bag
I throw the bag into the garbage bag and I got fresh cards

Greets
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I agree with cardone, plus using the larger cards and breaking them in helps develope muscle in you hand so that you will be able to use more cards and do some harder slights.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
Norm Nielsen and Murphy's are the best manip cards ever. I think that Murphy's are a little better because they are thinner and you can back palm more. They also fan better.
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Do you guys re-powder your cards before every performance.
It seems to me the powder would not last long on the cards.
Daniel Faith
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I think powder is very climate oriented......this is why I stoped using powder.
Humidity,heat, cold all effect the powder
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
Powder lasts for a really long time if you apply it correctly. The best way to do it is to pour a little powder and all the cards into a ziplock bag and then to shake it around.
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Norm Nielsen Manipulation Cards. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL