The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation question? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Does anybody know if anyone performs a levitation like Doug hennings one from an early tv special, where the assistant is raised then turned 360degrees vertically? I remember seeing one on British TV in the 70's.. maybe Jeffery Atkins and I know Thurston did.

Just doing some research...

Thanks for your help
Matt
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
You might want to try contacting Jim Steinmeyer as he did a lot of work with Doug Henning.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
I had thought of that, but I think the routine predates Jims envolvement with Doug. I believe Charles Reynolds was his consultant for the early tv shows. The Henning routine wasn't too deceptive but I rememeber the british guy doing his on a full lit TV studio. Doug's routine had a certain BA element to it. I'm sure the Thurston version was pretty similar.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
I do believe Doug's was based on an older version of the Aga... HOWEVER, the 3 in 1 levitation system developed by Dutch Hailing (if memory serves me right) has a similar option. I know Dutch (Saydean) recently sold the mfg. rights on this piece but you may want to look into it via the archieves here @ the Café.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I've bought the rights to the 3-in-1 and yes it has the capability of vertical levitation and a 360 spin.
Dennis Michael
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I believe Doug's version was based on a Trilby idea. I've also been working on a levitation like this. The 1936 Thayer catalog sells plans for something called "Theo" There is not a lot of info in the catalog description, but I think this is where Doug may have gotten the idea.

Richard
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
The rotating levi seen on British TV, in the Paul Daniels Show, was The Carmo Mummy, presented by Jeff ATKINS.I still have a video of it.
He had purchased it , I THINK from the Great Carmo estate, restored it lovingly and presented it on special occasions. It was sold in the Jeff Atkins sale after his decease. Reported in Abra and I think the British Ring mag, The Budget.

Pics were published in Supreme's mag. The Magigram, possibly the Jeff Atkins Issue.
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Allen,
Thank you so much for remembering that. I wasn't sure if it Was Jeff Atkins or not, and wether it was on the Paul Daniels show or the show that was on BBC2 on monday nights in 78-79'. I don't recall the namet though.

I would love to see that Levitation again....

Matt
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
And finally, thanks to Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxmXzO6g04&NR=1

Matt
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Thanks for the link. I loved the hoop moves!
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
John Gaughn built that levitation for Doug. John has in his collection an antique version of the rig. The rig alone ( not counting the lifting element) was over $15,000 I believe.
Contact John for more information.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Somewhat late, but can anybody confirm whether Carl Hertz invented and/or patented this illusion?
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I'm not sure I'm a fan of this effect.
Seems to obvious.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation question? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL