The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Any reviews of "13" by Paul Wilson? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

copterchris
View Profile
New user
Austin, Texas
96 Posts

Profile of copterchris
I'm intrigued by this book but have not seen any reviews of it. Anyone got a copy and prepared to give a short review?
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I was not impressed. Paul has some great material, but this isn't it. There is an interesting handling of the floating bill, but there wasn't anything else in there that "grabbed me."

I bought the book in part for the coins through table routine, but I found it to be unworkable.

The "Knock 'Em Dead" video is a better purchase, in my opinion.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I agree that Paul's best stuff (and he has some GREAT stuff!) is in his earlier offerings.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
copterchris
View Profile
New user
Austin, Texas
96 Posts

Profile of copterchris
Thanks for the input guys - the inevitable question next : any particular recommendations from his previous work?
metaphyzix
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of metaphyzix
his lecture notes 'omerta' arent bad at all. theres a really great magician fooler in there that i use to fry the magi whove gotten the best of me =P
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Again I agree with darrin--the Knock 'Em Dead video is outstanding.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
VernonFan
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of VernonFan
I have to wonder how Darrin judges "workable". I hope it isn't "unworkable" just because he can't do it!

I have these notes and saw the lecture in New York. I later saw the coins thru table in California at the magic castle.

The material in the book:

A selected card rises from any deck - the performer can then produce the mates of the selected card to end with four of a kind. This looks really good.

A "sucker" floating bill. I haven't seen this done but its an interesting idea.

An Ace assembly. Simple. Direct.

The coins through table. This looks really good - the lay audience who saw it when I did where blown away. It IS technically difficult but practical. NOT "unworkable".

The next trick I use all the time - A card is selected and placed between the red aces - another person holds the black aces. Each spectator "wiggles" their cards and the selection "wiggles" out from between the aces with a heart torn out of it's centre - the heart is between the black aces. Very commercial, very simple to do.

Then there's the coins to purse. I saw this trick blow away magicians and lay people. It's EASY ("workable") but requires the ability to bluff the audience.

The flash paper trick was another high point of the lecture in New York. The paper burns but leaves the name of a card in the ashes - then the joker changes to thier card.

The floating deck looks great. And it's easy. And it ends clean. Paul did this at the bar and sold notes based on this one trick.

Four Aces are lost then found one handed while the deck is behind his back. Earl Nelson was using this in the Parlour a couple of months ago.

Then there's a three coin production and vanish. Looked great - a little angly but if you're not surrounded, it will definitely work.

The sucker effect really fools people - they think he's blown the whole trick before it begins. I use this.

Then there's a move to switch a card on top of a card box. This looks very fair and very open. The switch looked great and there are some good effects using the switch in that chapter. I saw Paul do a new effect - a four for four transposition which I plan to use.

The Bill In Pen effect is also very devious. I saw him do this in California (he didnt have the pen in New York). It's practical, effective and resets immediately. you can borrow any bill, have it signed and the torn piece will appear inside the bill, ending clean and ready to perform again. In other words "workable".

I normally never write this sort of thing but I think Darrin did neither the book nor the readers of this forum any favours with his off-hand and incomplete appraisal.

The book has plenty of good, practical ideas. The flash paper idea is worth the price of the book and the card rise looks really good. The coins through table look great as does the coins to purse.

It just angers me that good magic is often dismissed so casually. Maybe it needs to be on video for you to properly "appreciate" it? I have the adventage of seeing it live and seeing it performed for lay people but the ideas are well described (and illustrated) in the book.

I dont mean to offend. The original post asked for a review and recived some glib remarks with no substance.

Respectfully,

RT

Smile Smile
Ryan clark
View Profile
Loyal user
Spruce Grove ,AB
236 Posts

Profile of Ryan clark
I am going on a limb here and I am going to guess that the last response was paul himself, seeinmg as paul was a huge Vernon Fan, and the user only has 1 post defending this book, which is amazing by the way guys. All of the material is workable, and the book is Wickedly put together, Paul is one of the best creators of awesome technical magic, he deserves a pat on the back for this one.

Ryan
Any Effect Is Possible, methods are relativley easy to come by, but it is the effect that takes true courage to come up with

Sankey
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
One thing I loved from 13 is his Box Witched. It has so many uses limited only to your imagination. I was disappointed with A New Wave and his Coins Through Table.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-05-31 05:24, Ryan clark wrote:
I am going on a limb here and I am going to guess that the last response was paul himself, seeinmg as paul was a huge Vernon Fan, and the user only has 1 post defending this book, which is amazing by the way guys. All of the material is workable, and the book is Wickedly put together, Paul is one of the best creators of awesome technical magic, he deserves a pat on the back for this one.

Ryan

I hope not - it would be a rather cheap move.
Cards never lie
Ryan clark
View Profile
Loyal user
Spruce Grove ,AB
236 Posts

Profile of Ryan clark
Yes it would, I am not saying for sure, paul is a great cat, but is it just me or is it strange to anyone else that some random cat named Vernonfan, come's on and writes only 1 enormous post defending this book???? I found it too be strange, it seems like this "vernonfan" is more of a "wilsonfan" than anything, being that he has seen him perform sooooo much and thinks that there isn't one even slightly bad trick in this book, which there are quite a few of.

I think it is un professional and immature if it was paul, But I am giving him the benefit of the doubt here, and just hope he wouldn't stoop sooo low as too come on here with a false identity and fool us all and try to make us feel bad about our "opinions"

Ryan
Any Effect Is Possible, methods are relativley easy to come by, but it is the effect that takes true courage to come up with

Sankey
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2007-06-01 04:56, Andy the cardician wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-31 05:24, Ryan clark wrote:

Ryan

I hope not - it would be a rather cheap move.

It's probably one of Paul's fans. Paul would have responded directly, that's his character.
Ryan clark
View Profile
Loyal user
Spruce Grove ,AB
236 Posts

Profile of Ryan clark
I imagine you are right, and my post may have come off rude, it was just the first thing that popped in my head. Paul is a great guy and I can't see him doing such a thing, it just seemed to me suspicious that some random guy who knows sooo much about paul and his work would go to such lengths to defend the book and cut one of the members up over the tiniest comment.

Ryan

Sankey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Any reviews of "13" by Paul Wilson? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL