The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Please give me your advice on pre-show work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
I would like to know specifically how you ask a person to write her information down and to KEEP the paper on her. How do you justify that?

I read a great idea in "Artful of Mentalism." I also heard Mr. Strivings' "Before the Curtain Rises" is a very good book on pre-show, but I could not get it.

Could anyone give me an adivice or recommend me the resources for pre-show work using clipboards?

Thank you very much!
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
405 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Do it before the show...
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Hello,
I heard recent Banachek lecture dealt with Pre-Show work and it's great. Therefore I guess it's in the lecture note, too. I'm not sure because I do not have the lecture note. I think it's worth your checking.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Although I guess everyone who saw it didn't een know Smile
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
Although I'm just getting started in the Mental side of magic after performing for a bit over 20 years. I have had good luck with preshow work. When I'm hired I let the person who hired me know I'll be working the show around thier audience so it'll be helpfull if I have some questions answered. Now they're going to go ahead and hold on to the questionare that I have just in case I'll need them during the show. when you arrive you have a few clipboards with the forms on them complete with a nice pay envelope for them to hold them in when they've filled them out. you can have different questions on each one because you're going to inform them to NOT show or talk about them with anyone else in the audience. of course we know the clipboard is the one that does the work so we'll never need them to even reveal that they have filled anything out as we'll never need them to open it. to them it's amazing because they keep the paper and to the others who aren't in the know are amazed because we knew something about someone in the audience. truth is you really only need one or two things like that to throw in as a little spice here and there.
hope this helps a little.
Enjoy
Joe Comet
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Ok... if you want some "easy to follow" tips I'll suggest finding a copy of Lee Earle's Q&A TEACH IN video (Steven's Magic sells it)he does offers some sound advise on such things (if you're a novice).

I detest pre-show and do my best to avoid it. Sure, there are effects that are really cool that use pre-show but in my mind, why do I have to work so much harder and invest far more time in doing a gig? If I've booked a 30 minute spot I already know it's going to take up 60-90 minutes of my time... if I'm only getting paid say $300.00 for that date, then I'm not earning my worth and I'm lieing to myself when I think $300.00 a shot is a good day's pay for so little work. Frankly, it stinks! I could have made twice that in the same amount of time doing even less work, less travel, etc. Simply sitting at my favorite spot doing Readings.

The moral of this tale is... keep things practical! Use your pre-show actions at a very nominal level. Try to incorporate other techniques like the RSVP Invitation approach (I've used this approach even before I went into Mentalims full time... it's an easy technique that delivers an awesome sense of advantage.)Or, if you can, have a couple of young ladies outside your event taking a Survey (I've done this at shopping malls as part of a Radio Show bit... it's a wonderful advantage that's never suspected).

Try to be creative and find alternates so you aren't subjected to this mode of slavery... you'll be glade you did!
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
There are some very good arguments for pre-show and no pre-show.
I will gladly use any "preknowledge", but I really like to walk on clean and walk off clean.
If Kreskin is still doing the same live show, then I guarantee that he doe not use preshow, but he still wows them.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
As for the 'why' of writing things down:

"I have found that it is easier for most people to concentrate on something they have written down, visualizing their own writing, than it is to concentrate on a thought that they cannot 'see,' as it just tends to meld with the mad jumble of thoughts that race through their minds."

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Also Banachek's last lecture notes (2005) give some great insight on pre-show.

BM
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Thank you everyone for your precious advices. I really apreciate.

If anyone know where I can get Banachek 2005 lecture notes, please let me know.

Thank you very much!
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
An other great post from Osiris
Thanks for the lesson
Cheers
TJ
Quote:
On 2005-04-09 22:30, Osiris wrote:
Ok... if you want some "easy to follow" tips I'll suggest finding a copy of Lee Earle's Q&A TEACH IN video (Steven's Magic sells it)he does offers some sound advise on such things (if you're a novice).

I detest pre-show and do my best to avoid it. Sure, there are effects that are really cool that use pre-show but in my mind, why do I have to work so much harder and invest far more time in doing a gig? If I've booked a 30 minute spot I already know it's going to take up 60-90 minutes of my time... if I'm only getting paid say $300.00 for that date, then I'm not earning my worth and I'm lieing to myself when I think $300.00 a shot is a good day's pay for so little work. Frankly, it stinks! I could have made twice that in the same amount of time doing even less work, less travel, etc. Simply sitting at my favorite spot doing Readings.

The moral of this tale is... keep things practical! Use your pre-show actions at a very nominal level. Try to incorporate other techniques like the RSVP Invitation approach (I've used this approach even before I went into Mentalims full time... it's an easy technique that delivers an awesome sense of advantage.)Or, if you can, have a couple of young ladies outside your event taking a Survey (I've done this at shopping malls as part of a Radio Show bit... it's a wonderful advantage that's never suspected).

Try to be creative and find alternates so you aren't subjected to this mode of slavery... you'll be glade you did!
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
The best thing would be to have a pre-show party if possible, it is easier to mingle this way and people wouldnt expect you to be seen front stage before the show starts anyway without one.

to obtain information, a good way is to go round doing small feats of mentalism for people, then do an effect but stop before the revelation. say it might be better for stage but for them to hold that though... eg if using minds eye deck, they remember the symbol. later on you can use it in your show. you need to ensure your wording is perfect to pull off many pre show effects. your audience needs to believe everything is happening in real time.

this is a very simple piece of advice and I would check out the recomendations above.

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
Hi,

One of the best resources on pre-show is in my friend Kennedy's new book Thoughts So Far. He has his Graffitti Visualisation technique which is amazing and very clever.

Well worth checking out and in my opinion, worth the price of the book.

Cheers,
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Please give me your advice on pre-show work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL