The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown back on TV » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Just to let anybody UK-based know that Derren Brown's new TV series starts 11 April, Monday, on e4 at 10.30 then will be repeated on c4 15 April, Friday, at 9.30. Yes, I'v got it right e4 first <satellite> then channel 4.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I'll be watching E4 on Monday, Like DB's stuff a lot.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
webbyla
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of webbyla
This one seems to be loaded with "celebs" ... hmmm
ScottJ
View Profile
Regular user
Hertfordshire, England.
143 Posts

Profile of ScottJ
Good. Stephen Fry gave a fantastic reaction to 'Smoke', performed in Trick of the Mind 1.

Scott.
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
It should be good.
for those of you that don't have sky then its on channel 4 on wednesday I think.

ollie
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Friday 9.30 channel 4
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1035 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
And just for fun there's a medium/phsyic on Johnathan ross that friday as well. (or it could be parky cant remember)
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Would anybody from UK accept recording the show on a tape? I would pay for the service plus shipping. PM me.

BM
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Re: the medium/psychic, it IS Jonathan Ross, and he's called Shirley Ghostman.

(I feel your pain. I feel your shame. But you're not to blame...)
-- QCiC --
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Shirley is a spoof psychic. But this isn't spelled out to the unsuspecting audience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/shirleyghostman/

:bg:
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Yep I do like smoke a lot pity I gave up card magic two years ago.
EvanSparts
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
333 Posts

Profile of EvanSparts
Derren is the man, but I unforntatly live in the states and can't see this. It's so cruel, that you are taunting me with this post.

Is there any way to watch it online?
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
555 Posts

Profile of Nick23
It was ok... nothing ground breaking. However the "type" of editing is increasing compared to his older shows.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Could you tell us more about this first episode Nick please?
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
555 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Ok, it basically starts off with a staring contest. Derren always wins but the participants complain of feeling sick or say their eyes felt like they were on fire when looking at derren.

Derren went to meet a bunch of opticians (I think that’s what they were) and demonstrated an apparent ability to see through his finger tips. He gets a guy to write down a phrase on a piece of paper which derren correctly reads while it's held face down. Derren then puts his hand in a guys pocket and correctly determines the contents of his wallet. He then gives the "gift" to one of the opticians and she correctly guesses a 2 digit number Derren wrote on a piece of paper.

Derren then goes to a various shopping areas and correctly predicts how much money they have in their wallet. He writes down a prediction, puts it in an envelope and hands it to the person with the wallet. They count their money, they open the prediction and it's correct.

He then does this with 3 different people.

The final effect involves that actor from "shaun of the dead". It's quite hard to explain what he's doing, but the effect is that Derren using subliminal messages forces the guy to say a "bmx bike". At the very end of the show, they replay what Derren said detailing all the subliminal messages to show the "apparent" explanation to why he said bmx.

That's about it. Just a bare bones description.

Derren talks about invisible compromise in his books and on his lecture video, and the type of compromise they are carrying out with these shows really is invisible. With the thing they are doing, the sky is the limit. How far do you push it until people begin to question what they are seeing? I think they are getting close.
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
I have to agree with Nick. There is so much editing going on that I question exactly what is going on. There comes a point where you have to ask whether your intelligence is being insulted or not with all this editing. I saw the beginnings of this in the last series and now I think they are beginning to take the mick. Derren was always walking a fine line between credibility and blatant trickery now he seems to have crossed the line and lost the 'is he for real' sheen he used to have. Just my opinion, of course.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1035 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
I don't think there was much editing, just brilliant off beat methods!
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
But, the people who are being shown the effects are giving the sound bites and they aren't watching it on telly. Surely that counts as a success?
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
555 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Yes and no. While the effect the participant sees may be mediocre yet get above average reactions, the effect we see after the editing makes it truly impossible. Editing is an invisible compromise. You could watch the tape a hundred times and not see anything that would give you a possible method. Remember that hoopla when blaine was able to say the names of cards people were thinking of, or when they edited his centre tear routine? The only equivalent to editing when you see a live show would be pre-show work. Andy Nyman even admits that when the participant realises that everyone else is unaware of the preshow work, they often feel very uncomfortable with it... they feel cheated.

With the exception of the last effect, Derren made no attempt to show a process of how he was apparently doing these effects. If you don’t provide a process or make something appear too perfect, the public will just assume their are stooges even when the method maybe a little cleverer than that. Just my opinion.
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
We fall, once again, into the age old trap of discussing it from a magicians point of view. For the person that is not aware that methods to these things exist then the end result is the same, edited or unedited. Magicians cry foul over TV editing because they want to see which method is in use, it is already shown that the public will not favour a stooge over real powers when trying to reason what they have experienced.

I got an email regarding my haunted show from a person saying that they were disappointed because they felt cheated that I had used 'plants' to achieve effects. Of course I was made up by this and took it as a compliment as I didn't use a single stooge, but the perception was that I had in the eyes of this particular person. This was an unedited live show.

We could all go out tomorrow and do many effects similar to what was seen tonight and get the exact same reactions. I am satisfied that through the medium of television it is being presented in a way that does not allow the viewer to pause, rewind, and deduce. I think that all around it was a good job and once again this series will keep mentalists in work for another year. Smile

Plus, it was the first one and it will get better as the series moves on.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown back on TV » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL