The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown back on TV » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I guess you don't perform then.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
555 Posts

Profile of Nick23
No, I do... (not stage shows, but I do my fair share of table hopping) I just mean I prefer anytime anywhere effects (assuming I have the props - I'm not talking about impromptu stuff). If I cant do it live, then I wouldnt do it at all.

Just think how many times David Blaine has been ask to, but had to refuse to levitate 2ft off the ground since his Street Magic TV show aired. I'd rather just not paint myself in that corner to begin with.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Mr richpoyle, I was just wondering what enhanced elements did you see in seance that couldn't be replicated real time? I must have missed that part even though I've only watched it twice. I was reading a post on some public forum regarding seances. Somebody was slating the show saying it just makes people think that all meduims are fake!! But they didn't know how the girls both wrote down london and offered some very amusing answers including the girls being stooges!!!
randomdan
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of randomdan
I don't see the point in that.

All TV is a lie. What you do on screen will NEVER equate to what you do in real life, exactly. So why not embrace the medium and it's benefits for enhancing your performance, rather than moaning when others use it to their advantage? It just doesn't make sense to me to disregard all the possibilities that TV performance can bring.

R.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
555 Posts

Profile of Nick23
I guess it just comes down to a personal preference.

There is another thread dedicated to discussing the ethics of using camera tricks/edits in TV magic shows here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=7

Maybe it would best be discussed there and this thread can return to its Derren Brown discussion.
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
richpoyle
View Profile
Regular user
UK
116 Posts

Profile of richpoyle
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 12:34, magic in mind wrote:
Mr richpoyle I was just wondering what enhanced elements did you see in seance that couldn't be replicated real time?

Well, I think the eventual seance itself would've been difficult to pull off in front of a theatre audience. The nightvision for instance, adds to the atmosphere. And the volunteer-turned medium was done brilliantly on stage, but even more effectively on the TV show.
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
What cheaty editing do you think was used in the BMX routine? Seems to be a big presumption that it relied on it.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Well when that TV offer comes we all have our own views as to weather or not to use TV tricks. I will.
dom
View Profile
New user
italy/UK
17 Posts

Profile of dom
Unofortunately, I just read the thread and I missed browns's show.
does anybody know when it's going to be the next tv series?
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
The series has just started - it was on E4 on Monday and will be on the poor person's version, Channel 4, tonight.
dom
View Profile
New user
italy/UK
17 Posts

Profile of dom
What time will it be tonight?
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
10.30pm would probably be about right at a guess though; but do check.
randomdan
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of randomdan
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 19:16, richpoyle wrote:

Well, I think the eventual seance itself would've been difficult to pull off in front of a theatre audience. The nightvision for instance, adds to the atmosphere. And the volunteer-turned medium was done brilliantly on stage, but even more effectively on the TV show.

I'd probably disagree - though when I was watching Seance, it was pretty cool, it was nowhere near as fantastic as the live stage version was; I think it was probably down to the personal element, and Derren's fantastic stage presence (he can make breathing in time with other people in the room seem somehow... amazing!) Smile

R.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
9.30pm on council TV dom.
The Gentleman
View Profile
Regular user
SCOTCHLAND
102 Posts

Profile of The Gentleman
Senséi Brown has openly admitted he loves doing stagework much more than expending effort and having to wake up in the mornings for his TV show and specials; The shere guts of doing Seánce live still impresses me though. That's gutsy.

Even more gutsy is pattern-breaking the AUDIENCE. Considering how illegal subliminal advertising now is on TV, I'm amazed making people see their dead grandmother didn't get the bodies interested.

There was a show on, the UK edition of "The Apprentice"; the two teams had to ask chosen celebrities for some goodies to auction off, the one that made the most would win.

If I were on that team, I would've asked Derren to auction off doing one of his groovy charicatures to the winner of the auction; who would not want a characture of themselves by Derren Brown hanging on their wall?
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I like DB a lot, but having just watched the first in a new series I found the content rather unimaginative. I liked the last effect, but found the effect where Derren guessed the amount of money people had with them was a little out of character. Too impossible even for a psychological magician. Hmm, I shall watch the rest with interest.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Derren is creating the illusion of psycologcial mind manipulation. In my opinion, mission accomplished. I can't see the point of any one complaining. what does any one expect? him to use real psychic powers? Smile

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
The "seeing with the finguretips" was amazing, whoever came up with that needs a prize!

Good show, nice touch in loosing the game, I liked that alot.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Ok, now that I've watched it a couple of times I think I can honestly say that for me, hand on heart, DB has lost the plot.
However I'm sure he'll still excite the amateurs and lesser mortals.
Oh and also those who like to write stuff such as 'magic in mind' who somehow manages to delude even himself by writing:
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 12:34, magic in mind wrote:
Mr richpoyle I was just wondering what enhanced elements did you see in seance that couldn't be replicated real time? must have missed that part mind you ive only watched it twice.

Listen, let's not insult anyone's intelligence in here, we simply don't have the time.
I'm a pro and have seen all the best. No one but no one does it 'like that' without editing and tons of pre-show.
However if anyone wants to wager me that they can then PM me and we'll set it up (anywhere in the UK).
Or better still, don't bother.
It's a TV show, and it's for laypeople. No pro mentalist in their right mind would get excited about this...
it's NOT what we do.

Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
555 Posts

Profile of Nick23
The seeing with fingers was quite good, but I cant see where the supposed psychological part was. To me it just came off as a trick, was it supposed to be?

It was the only effect that didn't have some apparent explanation of what he was supposed to be doing.

Also, was it just me, or was Andy Nyman's name not in the credits?
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown back on TV » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL