The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown back on TV » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Andy Nyman was on the credits. Cant remember his role though?
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
baker street
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of baker street
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to this place. Nice to meet you all.

Kennedy I believe it is suggested that the one called Nyman supposedly helps Brown out with advice. Interesting when one considers the rumour that it was he (Nyman) who was first offered 'the part' fabricated initially in the mind of Oconner.

I do believe however they stay in somewhat friendly vibrations and even communicate with each other in terms of endearment.

baker street.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
It is not a rumour as you put it. Andy Nyman was first offered the mind control series. he was busy with acting comitments and was therefore the shows main adviser. his name was on the credits.

Nick, who says it has to be psychological? Derren Said at the begining of the programme that he was using magic technique.
too much psychological jargon can be very boaring for an audience, Derren has got the perfect balance and is a joy to watch.

no harm in the editing they used... yes there was a little bit, but not so much that the effects were anything different to if we had seen the certain moves editied out. the effect would have remained the same. the nice thing is, it stops the public that tape the show from re-watching it and trying to figure it out.

any good mentalist can see what was missing.

a great show.

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
555 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Yeah, I understand the technique could be magic, but he normally puts a psychological presentational spin on everything he does... except for that one. It was just an observation.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
plodrich
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of plodrich
I like love the show but there is far too much editing for me. I actually like to see the whole picture methods and all.
Mind you there might be a clip board / writing down of stuff in most items which would look worse than slick edits
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
When you see Derren on tour,you kind of realise how much TV "help" he gets.When on stage he has to rely on the same methods as us all.Clipboards,swiches,gimmicked locks etc.
mindcontroller
View Profile
Regular user
Inside your Head!
172 Posts

Profile of mindcontroller
I have to say I like Mr dvb, anyone who has seen his stage show will know he relies on tried and tested routines and lots of padded out scripting, which in the live show is used at the end to explain something, but us in the know, know this is just camouflage for all the other Derren Brownies who really do want to believe!

The TV shows, I have noticed in just about all the series, including the original Mindcontrol, lots of editing glitches, the first of the second series of Tricks of the Mind had a staring competition, if you recorded it, go back and view the bit with the bald chap with piercings, watch dvb in this part, he blinks at least once! And the rules in staring competitions are the first one to blink, turn away etc loses LOL, and the filming shows dvd clearly blink before the baldy chap starts going mental LOL, the editor of that piece must have had sound turned off when putting that footage together, he allowed a blink in a none blinking routine LOL!

Even the live Seance show had some very clever one step ahead editing, very very clever and brave to do on live TV but it worked! But again it was noticable for a few seconds only.

Regards

MC

Baker Street........ LOL
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Baker Street..thats a good one.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
It almost sound like people here are annoyed at being decieved. Dereen does what he does, where's he problem?

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
I think the new Dr Who was more entertaining
LOL
TJ
Daffyd
View Profile
New user
Llandewi Breffi
87 Posts

Profile of Daffyd
Quote:
On 2005-04-16 13:43, Harry H wrote:
When on stage he has to rely on the same methods as us all.Clipboards,swiches,gimmicked locks etc.

NO WAY! You mean he's human like us?
"The layman is such an idiot." salsa_dancer
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
I really like Derren Brown's style but I am getting bored with it now. Once you realise how much of the essential work is edited out it becomes just a bit pointless watching it.

Particularly dodgy was the guessing what was in the bloke's wallet. So much detail was known that clealy he had access to that wallet for some time. But during the actual effect that was not possible. You just end up thinking "so what?". He could have pick pocketed him in a sublimely clever way or the security people at the TV firm might have insisted on looking at his ID or just about anything else.

Same with the "guessing" of the change in the pocket.

I was impressed with the BMX trick. Hard to know whether the psycholical suggestion reason was true (we know he is very skilled in it) or whether something else was going on.
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
In today's Mail on Sunday, the TV reviewer is "questioning" the fact that the show is not live, but heavily edited. She thinks it will loose its appeal as the effects become more incredible. Never underestimate the intelligence of the audience. You can only take things so far.
Steven Evans
View Profile
Regular user
Wrexham, North Wales.
191 Posts

Profile of Steven Evans
I enjoyed the show,especially the seeing with his fingertips effect. But I do wonder where Derren will go from here. He can't just release series after series nor can he do special after special. He will really have to pull something out of his hat to 'stay on top' (maybe a rabbit).
'The impossible I do immediately;
Miracles take a little longer'
-David Berglas.
baker street
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of baker street
Perhaps he is intentionally pushing the farthing a little further, daring his audience not to worship him.
Albeit he dons this air, does he not, of conceited know-how and activity-knowledge that keeps him apart from the lesser ones?

baker street
ps: personally I remain baffled as to why some 'professional mentalist' could not know how he achieves these 'miracles' assuming it's all pre-show and edits.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
555 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Quote:
On 2005-04-17 08:27, Steven Evans wrote:
I enjoyed the show,especially the seeing with his fingertips effect. But I do wonder where Derren will go from here, he can't just release series after series nor can he do special after special. He will really have to pull something out of his hat to 'stay on top' (maybe a rabbit).

Personally I would like to see some TV shows where he starts to debunk "real" psychics and people who claim paranormal ability. A bit like his Derren Brown Messiah special, but pushing the exposure a bit further, maybe like Penn and Teller's Bullsh*t.

I find it slightly ironic that the basis of the Messiah special was about people basing life altering decisions on questionable information. While waiting for autographs at the stage entrance to the theatre after his live show, one girl was telling him how she loves what Derren does and has decided to take a degree in psychology. Im sure she isn't the only one either who has been influenced by him. Isn’t that hypocritical?
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
No, just ironic.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
I'll point out the obvious shall I!?

Taking a degree in Psychology and taking the advice of a 'psychic' who will heal you of your cancer, all for the small fee of your mortgage..... is a little different.

Btw, best presentation of guessing how much change in someones pocket/purse/wallet, Ive ever seen.

Perhaps hes going back to the 'good old stuff' because he knows that hes going to have to do more stuff, for more real people in the real world. Such as when he does a meet and greet after his stage show. Its hard to do most of his (old) TV stuff in that kind of situation! And besides, NORMAL people don't really care if on tv the spec. holds on to the envelope all along, and when he did it in the bar, Derren holds on to it.
Nikodini
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Nikodini
After waiting and waiting, I finally got it and just finished watching it... the BMX Bike + finger reading was great! The explanation for the BMX bike was pretty funny too Smile.

Season 2 of TOTM is going to be even better than season 1!
PaulEverson
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of PaulEverson
I pressed the wrong button on my video - anyone in the UK tape it and able to send me a copy of Ep1? I can return it afterwards, and there may be a prize...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown back on TV » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL