The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Forcing baseball Cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This may sound a little out in left field (Excuse the Pun), but it has been bothering me for a long time. I finally thought I might get some help here.

I have a delightful effect which uses, of all things, baseball cards. About ten of them. (The number is variable. depends on how many I choose to use at the time.) The effect has a lot of commercial appeal, but the problem is that you need to force one of the baseball cards.

Normally, that should NOT be a problem, but my desire is to force the card in a manner which seems completely free choice, and that does not seem "contrived."

I asked myself "How would Maven approach this?" and the answer came back. "I honest to God don't know"

I am pretty determined not to perform the effect again until I can come up with a way to do this effectively.

I just want the spectator to feel that there was no force involved, and that they had a TOTALLY free choice. I kind of feel that sleights are pretty much out of the question. (The cards are stiff, clumsy, and they don't handle like playing cards) And as I said, sleights would likely take away from that "absolutely free choice" feel I am looking for)

Does anybody here have any suggestions on a good mental force that would accomplish this goal?

Thanks in advance for all your ideas.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
There is a very clever effect using baseball cards in Stunners Plus by Larry Becker called "All Star Miracle". No mental forces or sleights.. just a very clever principle. The best part is the spectator handles the cards.

All the best,

Rick
Self concept is destiny..
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I allready have a particular effect in mind, but I am needing a force for that specific effect.
Desix
View Profile
New user
Arlington, Texas
59 Posts

Profile of Desix
Maybe Pateo??
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Does it have to be a force or do you just need to know which card they have?
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you want the baseball cards to handle more like playing cards, rubbing some Cashmere Bouquet soap on the faces and backs may help. You may have to rub the stuff in and use it sparingly so that the surfaces of the cards don't get cloudy looking. I would probably just use a riffle force and use more cards.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
I remember seeing a Svengali deck awhile back on a site made of baseball cards. I forget what the site was though. Might wanna check that out.

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Making your own Svengali stack of baseball cards would be easier than seeking out a pre-made one, provided you have the necessary cards -- especially since you don't have to deal with rounded corners.

Also, could you R&S them? That, combined with the Svengali idea, makes for a number of super clean forces.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-04-11 16:00, Quinn wrote:
Making your own Svengali stack of baseball cards would be easier than seeking out a pre-made one, provided you have the necessary cards -- especially since you don't have to deal with rounded corners.

Also, could you R&S them? That, combined with the Svengali idea, makes for a number of super clean forces.

(I believe R&S smooth Svengali is a mirage deck). The only problems I would see in doing it yourself is that the ends of the baseball cards possibily becoming frayed, and some cards you cannot trim due to the design (causing the trimming to become obvious to a degree).

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-04-11 11:49, parson smith wrote:
Does it have to be a force or do you just need to know which card they have?

Must be a force.

Quote:
On 2005-04-11 11:31, Desix wrote:
Maybe Pateo??

What (or who) is Pateo? Is that a persons name? The name of an exotic force?
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
PATEO is the name of a force devised by Mr.Roy Baker, I think.

Or a very long name, if you prefer. Paul Andrew Thomas Edward Ostin Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Is it one you can describe without much trouble?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Daffydoug, I've PMed you with information about the PATEO force. It's not hard, and could be justified as "baseball playoffs" in your presentation.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ok. I'll look for it!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
IF you are performing in NEw York, please do not force a Met's baseball card.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Scott, that may be the best justification for the Pateo force I've ever heard.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
magiczak
View Profile
Regular user
Granada Hills, CA
159 Posts

Profile of magiczak
Could someone also PM me with the details of the force, I would be very interested as well.

Thank you,

Zak
**Zak**
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Why not just use some wax or rough/smooth and let the standard playing card method work for you?

unless this is going to be some kind of magic trick where you make them examine the props, you can have double cards and direct methods.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
What about the criss-cross force? No sleights there.
Self concept is destiny..
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
How about the forcing methods in the first couple of chapters of Paramiracles by Ted Lesley? With ten cards this would be easy...

Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Forcing baseball Cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL