The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » An Unsolicited Plug (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2905 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
You see that banner ad at the top of this group. It's for the Rat Pack by Curtis Kam. I recently picked one up. I even paid money for it, too! It's a nice little routine that involves pulling a selected card out of a deck while deck rests on an ungaffed rat trap. I will be doing this thing at Monday Night Magic. I recommend it for any magicians that likes to combine tricks with sideshow skills. It's a nice bit that crosses over that line between the two. It could also be a good segue to the hand in animal trap. As a matter of fact, as I write this, a whole ten minute routine has come to mind. So, check out Rat Pack if you like doing magic on the edge.
juggler13
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of juggler13
I got it for free!It is pretty good,and I have yet to get hit!I've only done it 60 or 70 times.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Thanks Todd,

That is mighty white of you. I don't mean that in a cracker sort of way.

What a guy to post a routine that is working for him. Will you regret it in the morning when you sober up?

I really look forward to meeting you one day. Funny, we where in Branson together at the same time but I didn't know till after the fact.

Your honkey,

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2905 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Will,
What venue were you working in Branson? (A town I like to refer to as,'Vegas without the class and taste'. It's just like comedy.)
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Mostly I go to visit friends but I have performed at the dedfunct Magic Palace and The Branson Belle Show Boat.

I heard you where emceeing the Ripley's show the day I left. I was very upset to find out late.

Will

Now on subject, will this Trap trick break my fingers? I do animal trap with no problem but I don't need a busted finger from a rat trap. I am a juggler after all. Oh and do I have to know how to control a card? I really can't be bothered with all that. Forcing I can handle.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2905 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
When I heard about the Ripley's show, I thought it was a strange idea, but I put aside my concern because I assumed that the producers knew what they were doing. They didn't. I was told at the beginning that I should, "clear off the calendar,because I would be doing the show for the next five years." The gig lasted ten weeks, with a cut in pay required to keep it open towards the end. I got back home in NY on Sept. 9th, 2001. I did Monday Night Magic on Sept. 10th and was overjoyed to play to an audience that got the jokes and had teeth in their mouths. I was moving the car into a new parking spot on Sept. 11 when the Bin Laden Demolition Co. was doing a job on the World Trade Center ten block to the south of me. I saw the whole thing happen and thought, "I would rather be dead in NY than be alive in Branson."

So, on to the Rat Pack. Yes, there is a risk of getting your finger caught in the trap. You can practice the thing with on of the two spring disengaged. And yes, you do need to control a card. It's a skill that is as easy as forcing a card and is easy to learn. It's something you should know and it will put hair on your chest.

Todd
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Yes sir, I'll learn how to control a card. I could when I was a kid but haven't messed around with it in 15 years, give or take. I need to add some magic in my show as I have recently picked up some magic gigs. Primarily I do whips, juggling, and fire eating.

Does the trap go off as you pluck the card? On purpose that is, so that the cards pop up. Just curious about the ending.

I met the producer of the Ripley's show while I was there. Boy is he a story.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2905 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I hope you took a shower after meeting Johnny Stewart. He is a real piece of work.

As for Rat Pack, if you do it right the card is grabbed out of the deck and the trap goes off. If you do it right, you clear the trap before it snaps shut on your finger.

Todd
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2005-04-22 11:49, Todd Robbins wrote:
"I would rather be dead in NY than be alive in Branson."

Those are truly words to live by.

New York should use it as their newest ad slogan--beats hell out of "I Heart NY"
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
That sounds amazing. Just one question. I read that the trap needs an alteration done to. How easy is this to do? Oh, and not really having any experience with traps like these are they the same here in the UK as they are in the US?

Thanks,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » An Unsolicited Plug (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL