The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mehanically Inept looking to start building (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
Call me ignorant or something but I'd like to start builing my own props, Illusions, smaller things and what not. I don't know what tools I should buy to get started, what are the most basic things I should get and what do I look for?

I know the obvious like saws, screws, screwdrivers and the like, but what should I spefically look for to start out?
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
It depends what you are looking to do. You may want to lay in a supply of metal shop equipment, or you may be working in fiberglass. I think most people on this board are working in wood.

As such, so a seach for setting up a workshop as there is at least on thread giving lots of deatials on that.

As for actual building, check out paul osbourne's stuff (you can usually find in on eBay)

Most imnportantly, build what you enjoy building, and what you can either use yourself or sell (and do watch out for copyrights)

Good Luck
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Basic bit of advise -- foggetaddabout starting out by building magic props. Learn the basics first and then apply them to magic. Get a good book or several mags on woodworking (available at B&N, Borders, and so on); find a local Woodcraft store or community center that offers classes in woodworking and take some classes; or find a local woodworking group. If push comes to shove, spend an afternoon in the hardware department at the local Sears store.

There are also several excellent books on how to set up a workshop. Woodcraft has one on sale right now, and you can visit them on http://www.woodcraft.com.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Justin:

I'll add my two cents by echoing George's remarks and repeating something I've posted elsewhere: Sign up for woodworking/cabinetmaking classes at your local adult ed or junior college.

You've probably supported these institutions with your taxes, and now's an excellent time for payback. You'll acquire foundational skills that will be applicable in future construction projects (many of which will incorporate boxes of some sort, and cabinetmaking is all about box construction), plus you'll gain experience with tools that will help you make wise purchasing decisions when you equip your own workshop.

Best of all, the consistent application of effort, guided by competent instruction and driven by sufficient personal motivation, is likely to eventually yield...talent!

Sincerely,
Leland Edward Stone
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Not that these gentlemen need my endorsment, but allow me to put my own stamp of approval on what you've just been told. Educate yourself first in the basics of the process. In the long run, it will save you much time, frustration, money, and possibly a finger or two!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
Thank you for all of your advice, I'd really like to learn how to work with wood, and other things. (basic electrical, a little bit of metal, maybe even how to fix a car. Even if I never get to build a trick, at least I'll have a skill that'll follow me for the rest of my life.
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mehanically Inept looking to start building (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL