The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Which is better... Cosmos or New World??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I currently own Weber and Dill's "New World" and am wondering how this trick compares to the "Cosmos" effect? I think "New World" is excellent and I am extremely happy with this effect. Recently on the Café I read a post, from the creator of "Cosmos", and the claims on this effect seemed unrealistic.

If you are familiar with both of these effects could you please provide some details on how these tricks are different and which effect you prefer? I would love to hear from someone who owns both effects and have performed them.

Thank you,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Cosmos is ungimmicked and can be performed with a regular or borrowed deck, spectator freely shuffles and can look through the deck to see the deck is mixed before seperating the colours, I absolutely love cosmos!
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Which effect is cleaner with respect to handling? There are many instances where the effect becomes cleaner with the introduction of a gimmick. A great example is coins across. Do you think "New World" looks more magical than Cosmos? Is the only advantage of Cosmos the fact that non-gimicked cards are used?

I am just curious and appreciate your reply.

Thank you,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2005-04-13 11:36, Daren wrote:
Cosmos is ungimmicked and can be performed with a regular or borrowed deck, spectator freely shuffles and can look through the deck to see the deck is mixed before seperating the colours, I absolutely love cosmos!
The things you mention can all be done with a regular version of OOTW, other than Cosmos Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

In my opinion "New World" goes beyond the original OOTW to a greater extent than the "Cosmos" effect. Did "Cosmos" significantly IMPROVE the original OOTW effect?

Would you rather go with OOTW if the deck is borrowed and "New World" if the deck is NOT borrowed?

Any thoughts on these points?

Thank you,
Rich
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-04-13 12:45, Richard Shippy wrote:
In my opinion "New World" goes beyond the original OOTW to a greater extent than the "Cosmos" effect.
YES! I agree with you on this one, Richard!

Quote:
Did "Cosmos" significantly IMPROVE the original OOTW effect?
NO! (yes, if it was meeting all the "marketing hype" conditions...) NO, because apparently NO single version of Cosmos can meet all of the conditions that Greg Rostami has hyped again and again.

Quote:
Would you rather go with OOTW if the deck is borrowed and "New World" if the deck is NOT borrowed?
I never, ever used gimmicked versions. I have more than enough versions in my arsenal to meet any conditions I need with any BORROWED deck.

But, if I had to use a gimmicked deck of any sort, then I would go with the brilliant and simple Michael Weber / Dean Dill NEW WORLD!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
sardini
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of sardini
Check out Ron Bauer's "feminine side". it's out of this world! (hardy-har)
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Rather than judge the ethical issues, the purpose of this post was to get opinions on "New World" vs. "Cosmos" from those who own both effects.

I can only comment on "New World" which I like VERY much. I also like the original OOTW. Since I don't own "Cosmos" I wanted to get an idea from magicians who have actually perfomed both effects as to the pros and cons of each.

Thank you,
Rich
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

If what you say it's true, then why you asked THIS question about ethics?

Quote:
On 2005-04-13 13:59, Richard Shippy wrote:
Since NO single version of Cosmos can meet all of the conditions that Greg Rostami has hyped is this considered unethical???

If you really did not care... Don't ask, don't tell! Smile
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On 2005-04-13 11:42, Richard Shippy wrote:
Which effect is cleaner with respect to handling? There are many instances where the effect becomes cleaner with the introduction of a gimmick. A great example is coins across. Do you think "New World" looks more magical than Cosmos? Is the only advantage of Cosmos the fact that non-gimicked cards are used?

I am just curious and appreciate your reply.

Thank you,
Rich

Gimmicked effects will always look cleaner.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Heres a Question, I have a new world, but not cosmos, can you do cosmos with the new world deck?
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2005-04-13 17:06, ixnay66 wrote:

Not always true. Jim Steinmeyer's "Teleportation" from his book "Impuzzlibilities"
is non-gimmicked, non-sleight cards across in the spectators hands. It uses subtlety.
This is very clean. I'm sure there are more examples.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
[/quote]
[/quote]

Not in the case, Cosmos V A new world. The reason being New World only uses half a deck, Cosmos uses up to 48 cards, less the 4 markers, so IMO Cosmos packs a bigger punch. I only perform Cosmos now. If you practise Cosmos enough, you will kill with it. Whether or not it meets all the condititions that Greg stated, I don't care, it's a killer routine, full stop.

Don't get me wrong, I also like New World, but no one can go anywhere near the cards.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
THe link for the review does not work .. Has anyone really reviewed this effect yet ??
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 11:28, paymerich wrote:
THe link for the review does not work .. Has anyone really reviewed this effect yet ??

Yes. But it looks like that particular thread is 'under repair' again.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

It would be EXCELLENT if we could get a review from more magicians who have peformed both COSMOS and NEW WORLD. The pros and cons of each would be of interest. I am also curious as to the response these effects get from spectators.

I am starting to think that I'll probably end up purchasing COSMOS.

Kind regards,
Rich
kuroko
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of kuroko
I can't speak for cosmos.. but I bought nwe world and I never did OOTW with the included cards. I used them for some other effects.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The response you get from these routines is outstanding, as is the case with virtually any version of OOTW. I suggest you do OOTW as a closer or an encore--it is too strong to follow with anything else.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
I have been closely watching the thread. The OOTW routine I do is the one Ammar teaches in his EZ to Master Card Miracles series. Its an impromptu one. I have modified it slightly so that it will match most of the conditions set by Cosmos. Ammar also has modified the basic effect by adding two prediction cards ( which I don't do ). But the routine is very good and with a bit of thinking, you can modify it to suit your style. I recommend it. Why go for gimmicks when you can have a normal or even borrowed deck and the spectator can shuffle it. And in the end you can show one half of the deck to be complety mixed too or proceed to exhaust the deck. Just my input....
To believe is Magic.
GEMINI
View Profile
Regular user
WA, USA
193 Posts

Profile of GEMINI
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 13:55, harishjose wrote:
Ammar also has modified the basic effect by adding two prediction cards ( which I don't do ).

I would say that is the strength of Ammar's version of OOTW. Ammar takes OOTW to the next level. I spell out a dual prediction on a two fold paper slip. First I show that the spectator will be off by two cards. Then turning the slip, I show the exact predicted cards.

Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Which is better... Cosmos or New World??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL