The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Which is better... Cosmos or New World??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Nighthawk
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Nighthawk
I am a OOTW vet....over 25 years it has served me well....upon learning Cosmos....I am mothballing OOTW if I am performing with for more than one person....As I have stated in an other forum....I am a very hard sell...and I was not dissappointed with this effect...in fact just the oposite....I was blown away as has been all of the specs on whom I have performed it....its not cheap...but fantastic value....you won't be dissappointed if you buy...brilliant handling and even a somewhat bold move dissappears into the performance making it absolutely transparent.

Greg...you have anything similar in brilliant handling...let me know...cause I'm buying....
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:

Skitch says:

You as a Magician should know that you can't buy a trick based on a demo that you've just seen. We should have all learned that by now.

Skitch,

So you are saying that it's ok to edit a demo video and show only what you want to show? What the heck is THAT all about.

I've purchased a lot of magic based on the video and always found the video is right in line with the way the trick is performed. The video should be shot while the magician is performing the trick from beginning to end. There's no excuse for editing or removing, cut and pasting, frames from it.

Let's face it, most people here have said that while they agree the video has been edited they are happy with the purchase.

I don't agree that it's ok to edit DEMO VIDEOS.

I guess I am one of those rare breeds that still trusts the DEMO video more than just the description especially if I am making a purchase from a newcomer.

Oh, I know, We should only trust demo videos created by trustworthy names in the business. Maybe that's the way to go.

John
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
"There's no excuse for editing or removing, cut and pasting, frames from it."

I believe that is an incorrect statement. When an effect uses a very good, but rather bold move that requires misdirection, to include it will expose the method after a few viewings. But people 'cry out' for video demos, and Greg obliged, even letting people know that it was edited.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Michele
View Profile
Veteran user
Taiwan
301 Posts

Profile of Michele
Anyone knows the delivery date of the DVD version ?
tunafish
View Profile
Regular user
Everett, Wa
137 Posts

Profile of tunafish
I too think it is ok to edit a demo, if it hides a bold move, but much more than that was edited for Cosmos.
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Hello,

How many leader cards are used in Cosmos?
Is it four as in most standard versions or two as in the Galaxy?
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello,

today I wanted to purchase Cosmos. I paid through the paypall option. However, there was no link whatsoever to a page where I could download Cosmos.
Greg, I hope you solve this problem very soon.

Simon
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
4 cards are used as leaders.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi Simon,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. I have emailed you a link to the COSMOS videos. Thank you for your purchase; I hope you enjoy COSMOS.

Hi Pegasus,

Thank you for the clarification. COSMOS does use 4 leader cards. For Let it RIDE! you can use 0,1, or 2 leader cards; and at the end all the spectator does is turn over all the cards on their black indicator and/or all the cards on their red indicator.

For those of you who have not tried Let it RIDE! it is by far the CLEANEST color separation you can do. It has it's own strengths and weaknesses when you compare it to COSMOS; that's the reason why I included BOTH on my video.

cheers,
Greg Rostami
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
405 Posts

Profile of ritty360
The ODDS are really 1 in 280 trillion? Is that really the case? It would only be 1 in 52 wouldn't it?
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hi Greg,

I received your e-mail with the link to Cosmos. I am downloading it right now.
Thanks for the fast response, I appreciate it.

I think I am gonna have a lot of fun wqith Cosmos. I saw a guy perform it yesterday at a Magic club, and the audience (about 50 people) were absolutely stunned. Thruth to be told, I was also!!

Thanks again!

Simon
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 13:55, harishjose wrote:
I have been closely watching the thread. The OOTW routine I do is the one Ammar teaches in his EZ to Master Card Miracles series. Its an impromptu one. I have modified it slightly so that it will match most of the conditions set by Cosmos. Ammar also has modified the basic effect by adding two prediction cards ( which I don't do ). But the routine is very good and with a bit of thinking, you can modify it to suit your style. I recommend it. Why go for gimmicks when you can have a normal or even borrowed deck and the spectator can shuffle it. And in the end you can show one half of the deck to be complety mixed too or proceed to exhaust the deck. Just my input....

Kreskin did something close to this on his television show in 1971. This was before Ammar was doing anything significant in magic at all.

He had one prediction card.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-04-13 17:06, ixnay66 wrote:
Gimmicked effects will always look cleaner.

That's an awfully big assumption. A lot of the "clean ness" of an effect has to do with when and where you are dirty, and what you have to do to clean it up. Is E Pluribus Unum cleaner than Matrix. No.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi ritty360,

The odds of guessing the color of 48 face down cards IS 1 out of 281474976710656. (2^48 = 281474976710656 = 280 Trillion)

The odds of guessing the color of 3 face down cards is 1 out of 8. (2^3 = 8)

You can try a little experiment to see this. Try doing a color separation with only 3 cards. Shuffle a full deck of cards(all 52 cards), deal 3 cards off the top of the deck, if you guess a card is red put it on a red indicator card, if you guess it's black put it on a black indicator card. After you've dealt all 3 cards check your guesses. You'll discover that only 1 out of 8 (2^3) times do you guess ALL 3 cards correctly.

Try doing the same with 4 cards. You'll discover that 1 out of 16 (2^4) times do you guess ALL 4 cards correctly.

If you try it with 5 cards, you'll discover it will be 1 out of 32 (2^5) times . . . and so on and so on . . .

Please remember to keep the cards face down until the end, otherwise if you turn the cards over after each guess, the odds end up a little different.

If you have any further questions about this, please don't hesitate to ask.

take care,
Greg Rostami
RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
Greg,

I think you are right about the odds. But I'm thinking that those improbable odds are beginnng to match my odds of getting Cosmos! I tried on 2 different computers without success. My own stupid computer is unable to do a lot of downloading of graphics and a friend's computer could not get passed some security clearance.

Incidentaly, I tried to PM you several times but you inbox seems to be always full. Like someone above, I am a long time veteran of OOTW, using Harry Lorayne's impromptu version to good effect and have been itching to my fingers on Cosmos. I am resigned to having to wait for the DVD and will second the above request for information on the DVD release. Much appreciated. Thanks for releasing this effect.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi RLFrame,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I just PMed you with a link to the COSMOS videos. If all of my suggestions don't work, then we will try some alternate routes.

take care,
Greg Rostami
Michele
View Profile
Veteran user
Taiwan
301 Posts

Profile of Michele
Greg,
Please let us all know the delivery date of your DVD. Thanks
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The gaffs on New World are beautiul, but I still like the original Curry version. Cosmos? Don't waste your money.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Hello, pegasus and Greg,

Thanks for the clarification.

=Jay=
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Ritty,
Try flipping a normal coin 48 times and seeing how many times you can call heads or tails correctly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Which is better... Cosmos or New World??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL