The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » False Shuffle » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken
View Profile
Regular user
Belfast
112 Posts

Profile of Ken
I have finally managed to nail Aronson’s memorized deck. Could someone please help me with some sources or suggestions for a good false shuffle? Preferably something that does not require you to dislocate your knuckles in the process. After taking so long to learn the memorized deck I want to learn the best false shuffle that I can.

Many thanks

Ken

Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Lennart Green’s 'False Angle Riffle Shuffle' is nice & simple. It can be found on Volume 2 of his 'Green Magic' video series. There is also one in 'Card College No. 3' on page 351.

I hope this helps.

Smile
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
I would recommend learning more than one way to false shuffle a deck, but if you are going to learn just one, I'd say the Zarrow shuffle is the most useful. The best place to learn this is the video/DVD "Herb Zarrow on the Zarrow Shuffle." If you work in a stand-up situation, I'd recommend learning Eric Anderson's Shufflesque. You can find that in the Harkey/Anderson book "A-Ha!" Both Harkey and Anderson also teach it in their lectures.

Jim
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Learn a nice strip thru shuffle. You could also take up some false cuts. Nothing nutty looking just make it look simple. You don’t want to make a big deal out of shuffling and cutting the deck. I think the Zarrow shuffle is great too!! It’s easy to learn and is very effective. When a move is easy to learn it’s also to make it look bad, so give the shuffle the practice time it deserves and it will never fail you.
magisher
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of magisher
I agree that the Zarrow is probably the best. While you’re learning it, a couple of good and easy ones to do in the meantime would be the Optical shuffle and the Charlier shuffle.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I'll add my vote for the Zarrow shuffle if a table is available. There are other false shuffles by Danny Archer, Dan Harlan and in the Amateur Magician's handbook that are good for the stand-up performer sans table. Also, the overhand false shuffles mentioned by Magisher are good.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
There are some great false shuffles on "SAM THE BELL HOP" tape. There is one that can be used for stand-up. It’s kind of like a Hindu Shuffle. I don’t recall the name. He also teaches the Zarro.

Bill
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
magicrobin
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of magicrobin
When you’re not at a table (and sometimes even when you are) a false overhand shuffle is useful. Some variety of the "chop" shuffle is fine, especially when performed casually. E.g., "chop" off a chunk of cards, then pick them up behind the deck as you "chop" off another group. Usually 3 chops, then the cards behind for the ending.

More elaborate versions add a little subtlety. See Erdnase for some of this. I had one such shuffle in my book Card Modes, which is still sold by Micky Hades.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Personally I've always been one for a push through or a strip out as opposed to Zarrow but I just find they are easier to perform. Maybe I stick to them because they are the first kinds of false shuffles I learned. Anyways, check out Richard Turner's video entitled "The Cheat" for many false shuffles. I would also recommend Steve Forte's tapes but I can not remember off the top of my head which volume false shuffles is on.

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Though I do use the Zarrow shuffle for one routine (a variation of Ortiz's "Las Vegas Shuffle) I much prefer the push-through shuffle. In the Ortiz routine I Zarrow at the same point Ortiz suggests(I learned my Zarrow from him - he has one of the best, IMO), but at the end of the routine I use a push-through to allow a final display of a full deck, instead of the two separated halves display that Ortiz uses (those who know the routine will understand).

One disadvantage to the Zarrow shuffle is that you can't really display the two halves cleanly interwoven - a feature of both the push-through and the strip-out. For that reason I prefer to reserve the Zarrow for a series of multiple shuffles and running cuts that appear to mix the deck, but aren't the direct focus of the miracle. An example of this would be "Sam the Bellhop"; the Zarrow works for the "Las Vegas Shuffle" routine exactly BECAUSE you tell the audience that you are demonstrating a crooked gambling technique.

In "Triumph" - as a counter example - the very point of the shuffle is how badly mixed up the cards will be; clearly and cleanly showing the interwoven nature of the two halves is integral to the presentation, which is why the push-through is preferred for such a routine.

Regards,

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
Hey folks!

I peronally feel that you need several good false shuffles.

For on the table, I will use the Zarrow Shuffle. It is something that people should not be scared of and is well worth learning. Also, it is, in the right hands, more deceptive than the Push Thru or Pull Out (now if that doesn’t put the cat among the pigeons, what will?!?)

For in the hands, I’ll use the Hay False Shuffle as taught in The Vernon Chronicles Vol. 1 AND a false overhand shuffle that everyone should know where you reverse the order of 4 or 5 cards in the centre of the deck during a jog shuffle, then correct them afterwards.

Anyway, have a great Holiday Season.

Best wishes

thecardman

Smile
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
Barry Nelson
View Profile
New user
Overland Park, KS
5 Posts

Profile of Barry Nelson
If you are willing to put in the practice, Ed Marlo's strip-out shuffle is one of the finest full deck false shuffles around. Unfortunately, it is detailed in Riffle Shuffle Systems which is difficult to find. This is such a great shuffle, because the spectator sees you actually riffle shuffle the cards together (they are seen to interweave, because they are!) Then you make a couple of cuts ... and the deck is back in the original order. If you do Triumph ... this is a great shuffle to learn because it looks like the face-up and face-down cards are interweaved, and in your cuts, you're showing a face-up and face-down mixture. The Zarrow shuffle is also very strong ... but I prefer Marlo's strip-out because you actually weave the cards together.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
I have to disagree with cardman. I have never witnessed a Zarrow be more deceptive than a push through or a strip out.

If the proper rhythm and execution is employed in these shuffles, then IMO the Zarrow is not as deceptive as push throughs or strip outs.

Although I do agree that you do need several good false shuffles to use at the proper time.

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The Zarrow has another feather in its cap that no other false shuffle (at least that I know of) has: it is one of the very few sleights devised by a magician that was adopted by gamblers.

Usually it’s the other way around. I would submit that anyone who says the zarrow isn’t deceptive hasn’t seen it done properly!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
In regards to Zarrow vs. Push-Through, I am with the Zarrow every time. I do not like the fact that you have to follow the push trough with a cut and the Zarrow has far better angles.

phillip
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
As for Zarrow vs. push-through, it’s a non-starter for me; I use them both. Just as you may complain that the push-through requires a cut, so I would complain that the Zarrow requires a slip-cut or a repeat Zarrow to restore to original condition. Different routines call for different sleights.

As for angles, I don’t know how some do their push-through, but I have no problem doing mine surrounded - of course, I wear a size 13 glove...

Regards,

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » False Shuffle » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL