We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin/knuckle roll (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
davidtan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of davidtan
Can anyone suggest to me a good place to learn this flourish (preferably free, but if there's a DVD which is particularly good, I'd consider it...)

Cheers!
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Gary Barnard
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
145 Posts

Profile of Gary Barnard
Well, Jeff McBride has some videos out called "World Class Manipulation" and that series has many coin manipulations on it. Its a very good video and you can learn a lot from it. If you would like to read more about it, heres the link:http://gatlinburgmagic.com/More%20Videos%201.htm

Hope this helps, man.

Gary
Gary

"It's in the very trickery that it pleases me. But show me how
the trick is done, and I have lost my interest therein."
- Seneca the Younger, In his 45th Epistle to Lucilius
(4 B.C.-A.D. 65)
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
I also teach this on my Dvd Xtreme Koin Magic. I also teach a 4 and 5 coin downstar and even teach a rollout. Lots of good stuff. http://www.joethemagician.com/Store/store.htm

I am about to sell out of the limited first edition covers. Only 10 left...Later..Joe
DrSammy
View Profile
New user
Greater Toronto Area
52 Posts

Profile of DrSammy
Hey popec,

I just had a look at your site. There's some very nice video on there. It makes we wish I had practiced more in my youth.

Although it wasn't a coin video, I also quite liked your billiard juggling. It reminds me of the sort of thing that Michael Moschen does. http://www.michaelmoschen.com (Not a site for coin guys really. Just for those of you who don't know about this guy.)

DrSammy
Many an ancient lord's last words had been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh." -- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Once seen you know how to do it - it just takes time... for me... practise then take a break for a week or so - then try again - seems to come on in leaps and bounds but a break is important as you get used to a certain speed and can't jump to the next level... worth the effort - calling card - and just fun to do...
catch you later

Clarioneer
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Hey hey, that's not my site! No way I'm that good Smile It's that Wrenn guy's, he's a member here too.
DrSammy
View Profile
New user
Greater Toronto Area
52 Posts

Profile of DrSammy
My apologies for the wrong attribution. Wrenn, if you're reading, mea culpa.

Thanks for pointing that out, popec. I wish you luck becoming that good. Or better, perhaps?

DrSammy
Many an ancient lord's last words had been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh." -- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Has anyone ever seen anyone do a coin roll backwards?
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Yeah, Wrenn does it on his vids. Or if you mean on the under side of your knuckles, I have see David Stone do it on one of his tapes.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Hi Charlie,

By backwards do you mean back up the fingers, or do you mean turning the back of your hand towards the floor and rolling the coin across the front of the fingers?

Both come reasonably quickly once you get the main roll down smoothy.

Saw Goshman doing the roll down, back up and then on the inside of his hand which is where I got my inspiration from. (that was on video not in person sadly Smile )

Bobo's teaches the flourish, if you haven't got that book then I would reccomend getting it...you'll learn lots.

Chris
Chris
llsouder
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of llsouder
Wow, I like that coinManip... site too! I saw a guy use a the coin roll for misdirection and creating an offbeat so I said to myself I must learn the it. I tried to learn this way back when I was a kid and so my fingers kind of know what to do but I never really got it. The coinmanip site has lots of flourishes to consider for misdirection, so if I never learn the roll maybe I can use something I can do.

Thanks again for the link!
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Quote:
On 2005-04-20 09:44, llsouder wrote:
I tried to learn this way back when I was a kid and so my fingers kind of know what to do but I never really got it.

A minute to learn... a lifetime to master.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
I remember seeing Martin Landau do this on Mission Impossible (the TV show)

After that I was doing it, long before I knew anything about coin magic.

Last night I was doing some copper silver changes with a penny and nickle.(rather than a half and an english penny. This was at a S.A.M. meeting. Some people were commenting more on the rolling and the c/p with the small coins than the routine.(This doesn't happen when I share the same routine with lay folks.) To them a coin is a coin is a coin.(By any other name....but I digress)

Years ago I recall Mr. Goshman suggesting rolling coins with another coin in c/p.

I hope to meet some of you in Boston for the S.A.M. National Convention.

I will be on a panel sharing about use of magic with a message.

Thanks for inspiring me to continue to explore the possibilities with coins.

Last night before my coin routines, I decided to play a little Whose line is it anyway. I turned the small round table into the steering wheel of a car. Someone in the audience suggested I get a couple of phone books to sit on. (probably due to my staturesque/sic? 5'5" frame.

Harris "Palms of Aluminum Foil" Deutsch
for the lighter touch in coin magic.
Laughologist and Nearly Normal Coin Guy
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Honestly, you don't need a book to learn this flourish. I spent hours and hours mastering it...I guess I still am on my off hand.

Practice is the key.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Pants99
View Profile
Loyal user
El Paso, TX
230 Posts

Profile of Pants99
Yeah, no book or vid is needed- just plenty of trial and hopefully less error.
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
If you want DVDs get David Roth's on flourishes.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Try practicing this while watching a video or tv show.

I still practice this when sitting listening to lectures. Last week I was at an all day conference on working with clients with anxiety disorders.(but I digress...)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2005-04-16 21:28, Clarioneer wrote:
for me... practise then take a break for a week or so - seems to come on in leaps and bounds but a break is important ... worth the effort -

Interesting, I hadn't noticed, but maybe I just was not alert to it. I did notice the time of day makes a huge difference for me. Also was pleased that my progress went up slowly (an additional set every few days) until I could could do 10 complete sets without a fumble, then the advances came faster, i.e., multiple-set-additions each day if and only if it was not too late in the evening. Then I am really poor!
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
juggler13
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of juggler13
I can get two pretty well. It took me forever. I have always practiced with two coins. It helped my single coin roll.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin/knuckle roll (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL